Oh, those silly geographers.....

what about Down East?

Ironically Maine is often referred to as Down East, even has a magazine by that name dedicated to the state. Not sure what it's Down from, Canada?

Ironically Maine is often referred to as Down East, even has a magazine by that name dedicated to the state. Not sure what it's Down from, Canada?

Are we sure that Down didn't refer to the insulation in their coats and blankets?

“Down” is only because we generally orientate the map with north up.
The map can be orientated in any direction.

Attachments

• 1725598638260.jpeg
    1725598638260.jpeg
    768.6 KB · Views: 5
Then again, some folks don't even realize New Mexico is in the US... And it even says USA on the license plate.

1725634450324.png

Hail! To the conquering heroes!
Hail! To the victors valiant!
Hail! Hail! To Michigan!
The Champions of the West!
- The Victors (1898)
Go Blue!

Y’know, if we just deeded New Mexico to Mexico, all those illegal immigrants would simply become legal Mexicans again. Problem solved!

Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line so it's southern. I lived there for 4 years and the locals made sure that I understood they were part of the South and not part of the North

That may have changed over time. Now they think they are a county in New York. People are shocked to learn that they are part of the south.
Now there is a considerable difference between central+Northern MD on one hand and Southern MD and the eastern shore on the other. SoMD is definitely southern and was barely part of the union during the war.

Y’know, if we just deeded New Mexico to Mexico, all those illegal immigrants would simply become legal Mexicans again. Problem solved!

But then you would upset the Zuni, Navajo, Hopi and 20 other Tribes in the state... :yesnod:

Aren’t they already independent nations anyway?
Yes, Native American tribes are considered sovereign nations, which means they have the authority to govern themselves and establish their laws and customs within the borders of their reservations.

Yes, Native American tribes are considered sovereign nations, which means they have the authority to govern themselves and establish their laws and customs within the borders of their reservations.

So it doesn't really matter what the US does with the rest of NM, right?
:)

Kinda weird rules in those areas. Seems like some Federal laws still hold, but not state laws, but it seems to be a mixed bag. Firearm possession can be prohibited on tribal lands, for example, regardless of state law, and I'm not even sure the Federal "peaceable journey" laws apply, so I kept mine in a locked case and locked in the truck when we were on Navajo land visiting Monument Valley. (BTW, if you've never visited the area, let me assure you that the Navajo are still scalping white folk; prices were out of sight.)

Back