Nothing in the headsets

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
When I bought the cherokee (2000?) it had the classic Radio Shack A/B switch for the avionics. I had the Apollo SL10 installed (later to become the Garmin SL10). Here's a photo

1719706586285.png
Configuration:
Apollo: Switch set to ALL
COM 1 - SL30
COM 2 - TKM (com only, NAV doesn't work so it's perfect for weather)(And yes, I'm getting rid of it later this year)
Headset: Lightspeed Zulu 3 and Dave Clark 10.34

For the first time in weeks the weather and my schedule finally cooperated and I headed out the hangar. Checked everything, time to go. Pulled out of the hangar, got in, and turned everything on. Tuned in the AWOS on COM 2. Nothing.
Went to COM1, nothing altho there were 3 planes in the pattern. Checked squelch. Check volume on panel, on radio, on headset. Nothing.
COM1-2 and I'm hearing the AWOS (COM2)
COM2-1 and AWOS is barely audible, but it's there.

Maybe it's the plugs? So I plugged into the jacks on the right seat, no difference.
COM1, nothing altho there were 3 planes in the pattern. Checked squelch. Check volume on panel, on radio, on headset. Nothing.
COM1-2 and I'm hearing the AWOS (COM2)
COM2-1 and AWOS is barely audible, but it's there

Didn't bother with the ADF or speaker or the NAV frequencies. I'm not going anywhere if I can't use a headset.

Tried this with both headsets, same results.

Any ideas? I'll head back out tomorrow with suggestions. The avionics shop is a 30 min flight but coming home will not be fun in the heat and afternoon storms.

Are ya gettin ANY noise out of the headsets? Like the little static clicky when ya turn the power on or ANYTHING?

This isn’t unusual, EVERYTHING works right up to the point… where it doesn’t! It would not take human intervention for it to suddenly not work.

If NO NOISE, I’m goin with headset(s). Mine suddenly didn’t work last week, a smart tap to the right ear cup fixed everything. It’s now in the “take to Oshkosh for repairs” category.

Are ya gettin ANY noise out of the headsets? Like the little static clicky when ya turn the power on or ANYTHING?

If NO NOISE, I’m goin with headset(s). Mine suddenly didn’t work last week, a smart tap to the right ear cup fixed everything. It’s now in the “take to Oshkosh for repairs” category.
Those questions are clearly answered in the OP. Identical results with two different headsets. Audio or degraded audio on 2 out of 4 of the panel selections where audio is expected, but no audio at all on the other two.

Those questions are clearly answered in the OP. Identical results with two different headsets. Audio or degraded audio on 2 out of 4 of the panel selections where audio is expected, but no audio at all on the other two.
Yeah, I've been stuck doing software testing (which I'm not fond of, but no one else on the project was qualified) so I try all possible combinations. I think I missed a few on this one, will head out to the hangar later today and try more. Time to set up the testing matrix! Age of the Geek, baby.

Back