North West Florida Coast

rstan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rstan
I am going form Mass to Mexico via Florida and would like some recommendations of places to flyin and explore on the NORTH west coast of FL and the Keys (not key west) ?
Thanks

Well the keys are in the south part of Florida not the NW.

In the NW the big place to visit is Cedar Key, but I also like the Crystal River/Homosassa area and spend a lot of time there. I have flown into their airport and it is a good one, you can pick up a rental vehicle there if you need it. At Cedar Key you will be able to get a taxi by calling for it on the CTAF.

As to the keys your airport choices are limited to Key West or Marathon. I personally like the middle keys and often times will stay in Tavenier, which is just south of Key Largo. Lots of fishing and diving in the middle keys and it is less crowded and more laid back than Key West.

Cedar Key is fun and good short field practice. Watch out for birds. If you are talking NW FL like the panhandle, I recommend Ferguson (82J). It's a nice family run field with free trasnspo to the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola. Just check up on the arrival procedures.

Cedar Key is fun and good short field practice. Watch out for birds. If you are talking NW FL like the panhandle, I recommend Ferguson (82J). It's a nice family run field with free trasnspo to the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola. Just check up on the arrival procedures.

I agree. Are they still maintaining the grass at Ferguson?

Yep. I fly from there to work everyday. It's been a chore keeping up with it over the last month with all the rain (finally) but Tim does a good job.

Back