Newbie saying hello

I looks like quite a few of us have made the transition from a disfunctional usenet site to POA in the past few days. I'm looking for a few more shortly.

I'm a newby here. Soloed in Lincoln Nebraska in 1957. Became CFI and CFII in 1970. Instructed at Turner field (near NAS willow Grove) and Wings in SE Pennsylvania until 1975. Moved to CA and quit flying for 22 years. Moved to Plano Texas an joined a club with mostly Bonanzas and was a happy camper. Next move was to Charlotte and the Charlotte flying Club with everything from C-150 to SR-22 an twin Comanche. As you can see, I'm old and not sure I will renew my medical, but I enjoy talking with pilots.

Rod madsen

I looks like quite a few of us have made the transition from a disfunctional usenet site to POA in the past few days. I'm looking for a few more shortly.

I'm a newby here. Soloed in Lincoln Nebraska in 1957. Became CFI and CFII in 1970. Instructed at Turner field (near NAS willow Grove) and Wings in SE Pennsylvania until 1975. Moved to CA and quit flying for 22 years. Moved to Plano Texas an joined a club with mostly Bonanzas and was a happy camper. Next move was to Charlotte and the Charlotte flying Club with everything from C-150 to SR-22 an twin Comanche. As you can see, I'm old and not sure I will renew my medical, but I enjoy talking with pilots.

Rod madsen

Small world Rod. I was probably the instructor at Hi Line when you were flying at Turner. I was inbound with a charter the day young Turner was killed on the ridge. I don't think Art ever got over it.

Thanks. I'm beginning to think, after posting on Usenet for about 10 years, that a moderated forum is the only way to have any meaningful discussion about aviation :)

I remember you from the rec.aviation forums, I came to the same conclussion several years ago.

Welcome to POA, Dudley - glad to see you over here! We've traded a few emails and posts a number of years ago, and I look forward to your posts here - welcome aboard!

Welcome to POA, Dudley - glad to see you over here! We've traded a few emails and posts a number of years ago, and I look forward to your posts here - welcome aboard!

Thanks. Glad to be here. Looks like a great forum.

Small world Rod. I was probably the instructor at Hi Line when you were flying at Turner. I was inbound with a charter the day young Turner was killed on the ridge. I don't think Art ever got over it.
Nope, I don't think Art ever did get over it. Another old Turner instructor, Bob McGowan, used to visit him in Florida after he retired and confirmed that. Bob is now a retired United Airlines Captain living in in Villa Park, CA and Thailand, with his new Thai wife. Would you guess that's where he usually flew to?

Nope, I don't think Art ever did get over it. Another old Turner instructor, Bob McGowan, used to visit him in Florida after he retired and confirmed that. Bob is now a retired United Airlines Captain living in in Villa Park, CA and Thailand, with his new Thai wife. Would you guess that's where he usually flew to?

Sounds like a Tai run to me :)

Lou Cristaldi and I were the CFI'S at Hi line right next door to you folks.
Small world indeed :)

I'm also a newbie here. Moved over from the Usenet forum. Hope to learn a lot here.
Martha Oppenheim

Wow, a lot of new blood here! Welcome to all of you from the Usenet forums. I've been hanging out here for just over a year now, and it truly is the friendliest aviation forum on the net. I've all but stopped checking most of the other ones that I used to because I get all that I need right here.

Wow, a lot of new blood here! Welcome to all of you from the Usenet forums. I've been hanging out here for just over a year now, and it truly is the friendliest aviation forum on the net. I've all but stopped checking most of the other ones that I used to because I get all that I need right here.

Usenet I'm afraid has become the poster child for those involved with and interested in aviation discussion migrating over to the moderated format.

Hello everyone;

I'm a newbie here hoping to find a bit better place to lurk and post once in a while than the Usenet forums. :)

Just dropping by to get aquainted with you and learn the ways of the forum.
Best to all,

Welcome, Dudley. As one who quite a while back used to participate
in rec.aviation.piloting I recall your contributions. Too bad the place
went in the toilet. This is a good group.

RT

I used to hang out at rec.boats.paddle for a while - until my back went south on me and I realized that the LAST place I wanted to have it go into spasm was when I was upside down in a Class IV rapid... which was actually a pretty good place for having that happen. :(

That's it for me, usenet-wise. But I see why y'all came over here!!

Welcome, Dudley. As one who quite a while back used to participate
in rec.aviation.piloting I recall your contributions. Too bad the place
went in the toilet. This is a good group.

RT

Thank you. Glad to be here.

Dudley and all the other Usenet refugees,

Welcome aboard! This board seems to get a lot of "refugees" and in fact this board was started when the original AOPA forums were temporarily (6+ weeks) shut down in early 2005. We've had a couple more waves of people from there and elsewhere too.

The mods here do an absolutely excellent job - Nothing heavy-handed, just barely enough moderation to keep things civil. Enjoy yourselves, stick around for a while, and I hope to meet many of you in person at one of our fly-ins someday! :yes:

Dudley and all the other Usenet refugees,

Welcome aboard! This board seems to get a lot of "refugees" and in fact this board was started when the original AOPA forums were temporarily (6+ weeks) shut down in early 2005. We've had a couple more waves of people from there and elsewhere too.

The mods here do an absolutely excellent job - Nothing heavy-handed, just barely enough moderation to keep things civil. Enjoy yourselves, stick around for a while, and I hope to meet many of you in person at one of our fly-ins someday! :yes:

Thank you.
Looking forward to a long time experience on the board. You folks have put together a very nice board. I only wish I had made the decision to try this format a long long time ago.

BTW; I think both of us owned the same cat!! :))))))))))))))))))

Last edited:
Back