New Owner: Couple of Questions for ya

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
I need a place to send used engine oil samples. Who would you recomend? I'm in Oklahoma if that makes any difference.

Where can I send a swatch of material to be burn tested? I want to have my seats covered at a local shop, and it's my understanding that I should get my desired material tested. Sounds like there has been some debate as to whether the burn cert is actually required for Part 91 ops, but I'm just going to do it.

I think many/most send the oil samples to Blackstone Labs. They will send you the free test kit, you pay when you send it in.

Here's a good, albeit somewhat dated, article on interiors and flame testing.

And here's a thread on the topic from about ten years ago.

I second Blackstone for oil analysis. They're great and provide a nice written interpretation of the results including references to the historic trends of your engine.

Edit: I can't find the source right now, but I once read somewhere that if an automotive upholstery material meets California standards, and all should, then it meets the FAA requirements for part 91.

Last edited:
I need a place to send used engine oil samples. Who would you recomend? I'm in Oklahoma if that makes any difference.

Where can I send a swatch of material to be burn tested? I want to have my seats covered at a local shop, and it's my understanding that I should get my desired material tested. Sounds like there has been some debate as to whether the burn cert is actually required for Part 91 ops, but I'm just going to do it.

Here's a good thread on all that is upholstery

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74532&highlight=interior

And

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182839-1.html?redirected=1

Last edited:
For oil analysis, I use and recommend AOA Aviation Oil Analysis at ALS Tribology, http://webtrieve.alstribology.com
They email you a nice color-coded PDF highlighting your engine issues, if any.
I just wish I could email them the oil samples. :)

Edit: I can't find the source right now, but I once read somewhere that if an automotive upholstery material meets California standards, and all should, then it meets the FAA requirements for part 91.

NO NO NO!!!!! FAR is much more stringent of a specification than CAL 117.

This is my business... I own an upholstery supply company. I can supply the correct materials with the correct burn test. Including the Patriot Plus that was listed above. I wouldn't put the Patriot Plus in my plane though... while it meets the FAR spec it is really restaurant booth vinyl. I do not typically solicit business from forums, but am always open for questions and advice.

The spec that needs to be met is FAR 25.853. The material used must specifically list that as a spec. When it does, it will pass the burn test. You must still have a burn test certificate in the logbooks for any A&P/IA to sign off on the alteration.

Also, watch your weight. New materials can significantly change the weight of the A/C. I suggest reweighing the plane afterwards.

That seems to be the regulation on fabric for home furnishings. What I recall reading talked about automotive fabrics and that all automotive upholtery was compliant with California standards because that's easiest for the car mfgrs. Is there maybe separate regulations?

Memory is fuzzy. It's been about 12 years...back when I redid the interior of my 182. I wound up going with airtex. That was a mistake I won't make again.

Blackstone.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Read Greg Amy's excellent article on this subject on AvWeb.
http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182839-1.html

This is my business... I own an upholstery supply company. I can supply the correct materials with the correct burn test. Including the Patriot Plus that was listed above. I wouldn't put the Patriot Plus in my plane though... while it meets the FAR spec it is really restaurant booth vinyl. I do not typically solicit business from forums, but am always open for questions and advice.

The spec that needs to be met is FAR 25.853. The material used must specifically list that as a spec. When it does, it will pass the burn test. You must still have a burn test certificate in the logbooks for any A&P/IA to sign off on the alteration.

Also, watch your weight. New materials can significantly change the weight of the A/C. I suggest reweighing the plane afterwards.

LOL

Yeah, just read that av link I posted.

Most of the higher end auto stuff I've seen passes burn certs fine.

Just send it to the place in Canada in the link, bada bing.

My 185 was done in leather (proper for a aircraft), passed burn cert just fine.

Most of the "aviation" upholstery shops can't stick straight line to save their life, and most of their materials look like they are out of a 1980 ford.

That seems to be the regulation on fabric for home furnishings. What I recall reading talked about automotive fabrics and that all automotive upholtery was compliant with California standards because that's easiest for the car mfgrs. Is there maybe separate regulations?

Memory is fuzzy. It's been about 12 years...back when I redid the interior of my 182. I wound up going with airtex. That was a mistake I won't make again.

That is correct. Up until recently the CAL 117 spec was very similar to the Federal Motor Vehicle Spec 302. Both were basically automotive spec, which is the most basic of flame specs. Last year California revised the CAL 117 spec and essentially de-toothed it. So now it really means virtually nothing... but FMVSS 302 still exists.

MVSS 302/CAL 117 is the most basic flame spec out there and FAR 25.853 is the most stringent. Big difference between the two.

LOL

Yeah, just read that av link I posted.

Most of the higher end auto stuff I've seen passes burn certs fine.

Just send it to the place in Canada in the link, bada bing.

My 185 was done in leather (proper for a aircraft), passed burn cert just fine.

Most of the "aviation" upholstery shops can't stick straight line to save their life, and most of their materials look like they are out of a 1980 ford.

Yeah, that is very common. You can take the seats out and take them to any upholstery or marine/auto trim shop. It doesn't matter who does the upholstery work so long as you have proper material flame tested with the burn certs so that you can have an A&P/IA sign off on the job in the logbook.

I also wasn't knocking the Patriot Plus vinyl up above... it's great material... I actually distribute it. That said, it is your typical solid color vinyl meant for restaurant booths. There are much more attractive options out there for a plane interior. For a booth, Patriot is one of the best vinyls you can use.

Back