New G1000 pilot - what else do I need?

Timetofly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TimetoFly
I'm just getting started in a spanking new 2014 Mirage fully equipped with a G1000, weather radar, etc. This is my first experience with the G1000 (go through training in 2 weeks). I'm thinking of getting one of the flight planning/navigation apps (most likely WingX, ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot). I don't have the hardware yet, so I can go with Apple or Andriod (though I'm predisposed to dislike Apple, I'll buy it if it's the best platform). My question is, with all the capabilities of the G1000, what else do I really need in the cockpit? Since I have Garmin avionics, I'm inclined to go with GP as I expect there will be continuity among products (not to mention compatibility).

I'd love to hear what other G1000 pilots are using.

Thanks for the input, and Happy New Year!

I went with GP on a Nexus 7 with Garmin's ADS-B antenna, and have been cussing it ever since. Seamless bluetooth hookup my ass. Maybe 20% of the time. Forget looking at it in sunlight.

If I had it to do all over again, it would be apple. Besides, most everything comes out for them first.

I just sent the ADS-B antenna back to Garmin today for an exchange because mine died. It would not power up at all. Garmin support did it so fast on the phone with no questions, it lead me to believe it's a common problem. I bought a 696 and plan to run the ADS-B on it with an adaptor. The 696 is readable in all light conditions. I like it.

My question is, with all the capabilities of the G1000, what else do I really need in the cockpit?
Get simple application with maps/charts/flight planning (I am a chart nut and I like eKneeBoard) as a reference/backup but having G1000 I would not be doing GP navigation looking at Android or Ipad. :no:

I have all the iPad apps and goodies. But when I fly a G1000, they stay in the flight bag. The G1000 has everything I could ever need and probably will for you, too.

Get a head start on your training at www.Garmin1000.com.

I have a ipad with foreflight. I like to use it for reference. It's nice to pull up the different approaches at airports and it works well to doublecheck radio freq in different sectors.

I believe an iPad or equiv. is a perfect companion to the G1000.

For example on approaches I like having my plates on the iPad. MFD in Flight Plan view for the altitudes, and the map showing whatever is relevant (terrain, weather, etc). With the new version of Foreflight Pro you can have a geo-referenced plate overlaid on a chart. Which makes it easy to correlate between the MFD and iPad. If I were only going to use the G1000 then I would have to do the above using the PFD inset for terrain or weather.

The other good reason is it is nice to have a backup. In my case I have the G1000 and two versions of Foreflight (iPad and phone).

There is a lot of information on the G1000, but only a couple of places to display it. So I find that I am constantly making decisions as to what is the most important. Having another display device is a nice way to still have instant access to the lower priority views. Perhaps a good example of this is when crossing a storm system. You would probably chose to have primary radar/stormscope on the MFD. However, it might also be nice to use an iPad to see XM type radar for long range planning.

Given the cost of aviation, these tablets are a nice cheap addition to the G1000.

Last edited:
I believe an iPad or equiv. is a perfect companion to the G1000.

The other good reason is it is nice to have a backup. In my case I have the G1000 and two versions of Foreflight (iPad and phone).

There is a lot of information on the G1000, but only a couple of places to display it.

Given the cost of aviation, these tablets are a nice cheap addition to the G1000.

Hmmm... Ok, I'll go along with that. Well said. I amend my previous statement.

I have a g1000 in my Columbia and also have an iPad with foreflight running. Although there are days when I don't even look at the iPad, foreflight is much easier to use than the g1000 - and you can file your clearance with it.

I also have GP, it doesn't behave like the g1000. Would have been nice if the g2 watch, GP and g1000 all worked together, but they don't.

Foreflight is amazing - GP doesn't come close. I have a stratus in my flightbag as a backup and an extra battery pack. With stratus horizon (another app), you even have backup to you pfd. Belt and suspenders, I know, but I've had electrical failures in helicopters that resulted in a totally dark panel and a generator and subsequent cross tie failure that would have killed us in ifr. If I lose the g1000 (screens can die and electrical systems can fail), I figure my flashlight will keep me going using the backup 3-pack, while I get the foreflight into view (I always have it running). I'm trying out different mounts for the iPad - nothing works well in the Columbia so far.

Btw, if you don't have an iPad, the latest version (iPad air) is smaller than the proceeding version, so not all mounts will work. It is, however, much lighter and the battery lasts longer. Get the largest memory size and I've found the AT&T network runs better in flight than Verizon. The cell chip gives you built in gps for foreflight.

Good luck with the mirage, that's a beautiful aircraft. :yesnod:

Last edited:
I have all the iPad apps and goodies. But when I fly a G1000, they stay in the flight bag. The G1000 has everything I could ever need and probably will for you, too.
+1

Further, as a newbie you will have enough confusion ("What's it doing now?") with the G1000. No need/no benefit to be dealing with another new system simultaneously.

Re: "What else ..." IMHO the biggest thing with the G1000 is to be completely familiar with the Garmin nav knobology. If you are not expert with the 430/530, the G1000 becomes a lot tougher. Spending quality time with the Garmin G1000 PC simulator and a joystick will help. For the nav knobology, the 430/530 simulators are entirely adequate too.

Are you a MMOPA member? If not, I highly recommend it.

Great bird you have! Congratulations!

I'll chime in on the FF/IPad combo...

Back