[NA] Roof

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
In my opinion, one should treat a hog valley as if it were a thunderhead and you are in a J3 Cub.
:mad:

I'll take a stab at it.
A "hog valley" is a roofing term for where two sloping roofs come together to form a valley. They accumulate leaves and debri which makes it difficult (impossible) to drain. It will almost certainly cause roof rot if special precautions are not taken (like severe water proofing). And it still needs to be cleaned frequently.

I had one in a house once and I refuse to buy another house that has anything similar. I'm too old to keep climbing up on a roof to clean the gutter and valleys. I second the advice to avoid at all costs.

I'll take a stab at it.
A "hog valley" is a roofing term for where two sloping roofs come together to form a valley. They accumulate leaves and debri which makes it difficult (impossible) to drain. It will almost certainly cause roof rot if special precautions are not taken (like severe water proofing). And it still needs to be cleaned frequently.

I had one in a house once and I refuse to buy another house that has anything similar. I'm too old to keep climbing up on a roof to clean the gutter and valleys. I second the advice to avoid at all costs.

I have a similar situation where my pool's screen roof meets the aluminum roof of the patio. Both are obviously too flimsy to climb on without laying boards across the supports. When we had the pool rescreened a month ago, I had the installer fabricate a couple of hatches in the screen so I can go up on a ladder and clean out the area.

Least yours doesn't have a hole in it. Here's Dad's last week. My rental has a hog valley right below an oak tree. So I feel your pain.
IMG_20240718_192516889_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240727_154624.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240718_192818885_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240718_192818885_HDR.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 24
We’ve got a bunch of them. Never have caused any problems since we bought the house in 2001. Had the original cedar shakes replaced with stone coated steel panels 10-12 years ago, I think it was. The shakes had survived a couple of hail storms that obliterated all the other wood roofs on this end of town, but it was leaking in a couple of spots. Not in any of the valleys though.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at it.

Yup. Although not the only example, the extreme case would be an M-shaped double gable roof.
M-Shaped_Roof-300x300.webp

A neighbor had that across part of the house. When they re-roofed, they extended the ridge to make it full length just like the above picture.
:nono:

Just when I thought aviation forum posts could sink no lower...keep this up and POA will be another Purple board.

Just one person's opinion...

Well, yup, that hog valley doesn't look like a particularly smart thing (how's that for an understatement?)

Just when I thought aviation forum posts could sink no lower...keep this up and POA will be another Purple board.

Just one person's opinion...
I have long referred to POA as "Facebook for pilots". Since I don't do Facebook, this is my social media.

I have long referred to POA as "Facebook for pilots". Since I don't do Facebook, this is my social media.

... Now that you've compared this to Facebook, I guess I'll have to leave. : (

Back