(n/a) lost keys, phone number on keychain a bad idea?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
Help me think this through. Is it a bad idea to list my cell phone number on my keys?

It used to be common to have these tags from various places.... I have a quite nice one from AOPA that I bought many years ago through Sporty's. It's a very hefty cast metal. Feels and looks nice!
On the back, cast in very deep lettering it says "if found drop in any mailbox..." it includes AOPA's mailing address and "Return Postage Guaranteed", and there's a place where my AOPA member number is laser etched
I've had this thing a long time and it's been very durable. If I had to guess it might be pushing 20 years old or maybe even more.
Some handful of years ago I went looking to buy more. I even went so far as to call AOPA. Could find nobody that knew anything about it, and for sure it wasn't something they currently offered.

I don't know if the USPS would even deal with something like this anymore....

So, now that I have teenagers driving, AND now that car keys are electronic and expensive and a trip to the dealer for replacement seems like a big-time drag so I've been rethinking this concept.

It seems that these tags are not as common...I was thinking about getting a bunch of little engraved dog tags or small ley chains engraved with an anonymous email address engraved on it,
"if found please email ...@gmail.com" sort of thing.​
One for every set of keys in my family...

But now I'm thinking it might be better/faster/more straightforward to just list my cell phone number. Why not? what am I missing?
I think it seems like a bad idea to list names and address for fear of some creep stalker dude having keys to my car...or my wife's or kid's car
What if there's no house key on the chain...would that change your opinion?​

IMG20240821144336.jpg

"If returned, teenager guarantees you $20.00, call xxx-xxx-xxxx"
Yes I'd do it (but I don't live near a city in case that matters)

Apple Air Tag or a Tile will tell you about where it is but it doesn't put it in your hand. I'd use them and have a Dog Tag with a anonymous email There really isn't such a thing as anonymity any more in case somebody finds them.
I have a Tag from my Alumni Association with the drop in any mailbox stuff on it. Never had to use it. Check any organization you belong to and see if they offer something like that. I think even grocery stores like Krogers print that on the loyalty tag they give out .

I would never put my phone number or address on a keychain. It's an open invitation for an unwelcome visit. Plenty of reverse lookup sites, paid and free, can provide your address from your phone number.

I like the idea of an anonymous email address.

While I wouldn't worry about a cell number too much, if you want the same features but a layer of anonymity just get a google voice number, and print that on the tag. Then setup google voice to auto forward to your cell number. The only downside of this is GV recycles numbers so you might get one that has been on marketing lists, then you will end up with more spam calls.

I put my phone number on my phone case should I loose it and someone finds it……………..

(Wait for it, wait for it ……:) ).

Back