My Future Career...Your Suggestions

Do what you love for money and you will never work a day in your life.

Or

What you do for work becomes work.

It'll be one or the other for ya, might be tough to tell without trying. For me it was always the second one, ruined all sorts of fun by taking money for it.

Every airline pilot I have ever met chewed my ear off on how terrible of a career it is and how evil management just wants to see him dead to collect his life insurance.

The happy pilots work for net-jets, the military, medevac or spray crops/fly fire.

Nope, here's another COMPLETELY content Airline Pilot. Does management **** me off from time to time - sure but I've spent enough time in other jobs to realize what a great gig this is. I think you do hang around with the wrong types.

Do what you love for money and you will never work a day in your life.

Or

What you do for work becomes work.
I don't think it's nearly as black and white as that although people might tend towards one side or the other. What I would say, foremost, about making a living as a pilot is that it's a job, and it comes with all the baggage of other jobs. The fact that you get to fly airplanes doesn't change that. In some ways I was lucky that I got to be a fly on the wall, or in the back seat, for a long time so I had no illusions about what it was like to work as a pilot. I've gotten to do some very cool things over the years but there are also days I would rather be somewhere else doing something else. That said, I have no regrets although there are things I would have done differently. However, I'm not sure what difference it would have made because right time, right place trumps a lot of other things. You need to be prepared, though.

Disclaimer is that I've never been an airline pilot. I've had a number of those "other" jobs; mapping, flight instruction, fixed-wing air ambulance, charter and corporate.

Every airline pilot I have ever met chewed my ear off on how terrible of a career it is and how evil management just wants to see him dead to collect his life insurance.

The happy pilots work for net-jets, the military, medevac or spray crops/fly fire.
Exactly why I'm not terribly interested in 121. I'd also like to become a DPE on the side someday in the very distant future. Seems like a rewarding thing to do.

I was in just about the same spot you're in now when I was that age.

I made the decision to follow an engineering career in private enterprise and fly as a hobby - and I've been happy with that decision ever since. If you apply yourself with a good attitude and aptitude, you'll make a lot more money in the long run doing something else and flying for fun. I know I would not like flying nearly so much if it turned into a job for me.

Having said that - one earlier poster summed it up nicely - those who won't (or can't) follow their own dreams will find a way to keep you from yours. If that's the only thing in your heart that sings to you, then sing back and good luck.

Went threw Ohio States program. They actually do a good job for the most part in the teaching sense. What i found it lacked was driving students. It tended to let certain students just drift threw months of getting nothing done.(making the cost even higher) Add some Ohio over cast to the mix and you might get a little rusty. It seems to be changing now though. They also need a better transition into a higher level>regionals, etc. They have good instructor and great SIMs, a variety of A/C.
Every one says that a back up plan is a good idea. It is. Lot's of people get burnt out trying to build hours when they are making no money, you need to pay your student loans, you knock up your girlfriend. Certain entry level jobs won't won't even pay your student loans.
The guard is a great choice as stated but do some research because as stated, if you listen to the wrong person you will be flying drones instead of F16's. The C27j at Mansfield look fun to fly. they take care of you. and you can work another civilian job so you don't get burnt out on flying.
Hope this helps. Try to get a job in a smaller company or flight school and you can network, talk to people as they are transitioning to the new levels. you will be able to get on a personal level with them and find out what your path will be like.

I like Art Van Delay's advice. Just be sure to hide she shrimp if the ocean calls. :)

Consider using the university aviation major to get a rotor rating with Commercial and Instruments... Job prospects are better there in recent years...

denny-o

What's your talent? Every career can be a miserable pit, I don't care what it is, if you don't hold a talent for it. You will always work hard to do a mediocre job, you'll advance slowly and not be personally fulfilled. Forget all this "Follow your heart" crap, its a recipe for failure and struggle. Follow your talents and you'll succeed well enough to follow your heart on your own time and dime and have a better life.

Consider using the university aviation major to get a rotor rating with Commercial and Instruments... Job prospects are better there in recent years...

denny-o

Except the ratings cost 3 times as much than the already hyperinflated University program fixed wing ratings and the career pay is less than the regionals. Add on top of that that most of the jobs, especially entry ones, are oilfield gigs that require over 1200hrs to apply. Getting a helo job through the civilian system is gonna be even tougher as we get more and more of the military helo guys coming home from the sandbox.

If a kid wants to go aviation, their best route is still through military service.

Last edited:
Im going the revive this thread....

I just got off the phone with my DPE who also happens to be a Check Airman for a major US airline.

While there is a lot of good advice that was posted, what he said seemed to make the most amount of sense. He has an English degree, then after college when he was getting his ratings and time building he took night classes at embry riddle to get his masters.

So that being said and talking with parents I believe I am going to pursue some form of business/accounting degree (possibly law). During the summers in-between years I will get my ratings. So hopefully by the time I graduate I will be a CFI. Then I need to time build and then hopefully get a job.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Back