Moving to Idaho!

GaryM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Gary M
I'm a native of southern Idaho. I left for college, then grad school, then work...always trying to get back home, and before I knew it, I'd spent my entire professional career in NJ. Only now that I'm retired can I get back home. My NJ-native wife was never a fan of the high desert and canyon lands of southern Idaho, but she does like the pine forests and lakes of the panhandle, in part because the low elevation yields the mildest climate in the state.

So, we bought a house and are preparing to move next month! The new place is in Coeur d'Alene, though it actually overlooks Hayden Lake, one of the smaller lakes between Lakes Coeur d'Alene and Pend Oreille.

I'll be looking to join a flying club, or else rent. I don't think I fly enough to justify a partnership with only a few other owners.

I welcome any and all input on the aviation scene in North Idaho.

The home has a pretty good view:

1719712293168.png

1719712333135.png

Best of luck Gary. You will love it up there. I lived in Meridian and had a hangar at KTEW. I know a lot of people in that area. I do have a friend with a Kitfox project he is working on in your part of the state. I will check with him and see if he knows of a club.

My inlaws are in Nampa so I've had a look at some of that beautiful state. We are headed that way during the fall for a few days if the schedule works out.

"The home has a pretty good view" ... understatement of the year!

Looks like heaven, Gary. Hard work, well earned!

Mr Google came back with this

Felts Field Flying Club: This club operates a 1999 Cessna 182S aircraft (tail number N7268K) that has been upgraded with the latest equipment
Air Coeur: This is a flying club that allows its members to fly the club's airplane at cost
Skyraider Aero Club: This club has 20 members and operates two aircraft - a Cherokee 140 and a Cessna 177 Cardinal. Both planes are hangared at Felts Field

Many congrats on your retirement and new home..

My cousin moved there, well Spokane, when he retired. He now teaches at the Wash State Med School - loves the area...

Wow Gary, that's awesome! Congratulations! In all my travels around the country (and time to think), I always thought that if I ever hit the Powerball, I would definitely have a place in Couer d'Alene. That is just such a beautiful area. Hayden Lake is closer to the airport too. I think you nailed the location. I wish you many happy memories there!

I'll be looking to join a flying club, or else rent. I don't think I fly enough to justify a partnership with only a few other owners.

Wait, did I miss something? Did you sell your plane?

I can say, if I lived out there I'd have something with a tailwheel and some big tires and a good power to weight ratio. Husky would be high on the list. So many amazing backcountry strips and great sightseeing!

Mr Google came back with this

Felts Field Flying Club: This club operates a 1999 Cessna 182S aircraft (tail number N7268K) that has been upgraded with the latest equipment
Air Coeur: This is a flying club that allows its members to fly the club's airplane at cost
Skyraider Aero Club: This club has 20 members and operates two aircraft - a Cherokee 140 and a Cessna 177 Cardinal. Both planes are hangared at Felts Field

Many congrats on your retirement and new home..

My cousin moved there, well Spokane, when he retired. He now teaches at the Wash State Med School - loves the area...
Thanks! I'll look into those. Felts field is a 30-40 minute drive from where we'll be, so it's doable if Air Coeur doesn't work out.
Wait, did I miss something? Did you sell your plane?

I can say, if I lived out there I'd have something with a tailwheel and some big tires and a good power to weight ratio. Husky would be high on the list. So many amazing backcountry strips and great sightseeing!
I've been a flying club member all these years, so I'm selling back my (small) equity share in the club aircraft. Unfortunately not something that will get me my own plane after the move. Idaho is well-known for its' backcountry strips, but I'm sure that as a renter or member of a club, I won't be allowed to take the aircraft into any of them. I'll just have to make friends with people who have something with a tailwheel and big tired and a good power-to-weight ratio.

Been a tough few weeks for flying clubs near here. Air Coeur's 182 had a bad day not too long after Skyraiders 177 had a really bad day.
Best place I know of for info on KCOE is friends of the airport facebook page. I'd probably also stop in and chat with No Limits and CdA Aviation and Maintenance and see who they might be able to connect you with.
Agree with previous as well, if you can swing it tough to beat a supercub/husky/180 here. I know of exactly zero such clubs, but Scott up at Hackney is a 180 whisperer so also might be a good place to kick around looking for flying partnerships.
Nice view from the new place, I've got some friends near there.

Back