More Presidential TFRs for Chicago?

Obama basing re-election out of Chitown...
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20110410/D9MGQEFG0.html

I think commercial planes are still allowed to fly into the TFR and the 10 mile center ring- is this correct?

Scheduled Commercial, e.g. the airlines. And even then, there's often a hold for the 30 min around arrival & departure of AF1 (at least out here at Denver International)

Pretty much everything else is grounded (training, etc) in the 10 nm ring. FTG 8-26 is inside the 5 nm radius but 17-35 isn't, so in theory, we could fly but the airport essentially shuts down.

Go find the current Presidential TFR and read it. Great for insomnia.

Scheduled Commercial, e.g. the airlines.
Non-skeds, too. The question is not whether they're scheduled, but whether they have an air carrier security program (passenger screening, etc). Some 135 operations have that, and even a few corporate operators who fly into DCA.

Pretty much everything else is grounded (training, etc) in the 10 nm ring.
If by "everything else" you mean routine GA, you're pretty much correct. However, military, law enforcement, air ambulance and various other operations are permitted.

I hope to hell he isn't there during the big do at Oshkosh. I don't like to think about the number of busts they'd get.

Scheduled Commercial, e.g. the airlines. And even then, there's often a hold for the 30 min around arrival & departure of AF1 (at least out here at Denver International)

Pretty much everything else is grounded (training, etc) in the 10 nm ring. FTG 8-26 is inside the 5 nm radius but 17-35 isn't, so in theory, we could fly but the airport essentially shuts down.

Go find the current Presidential TFR and read it. Great for insomnia.
5 nm radius?

The inner circle is 10 nm across, or a 5 nm radius. The entire area is 60 nm across or a 30 nm radius.
I'm pretty sure I usually see a 10nm RADIUS and have seen a 12 nm radius, too. Does Denver somehow only get a 5 nm radius? Aren't you special! :)

I suggest re-reading the NOTAM before you go near a Presidential TFR. The inner ring is a 10nm radius, not diameter.

"A 10NM TFR centered ..."

My bad - I read that as a 10 nm diameter, not radius.

Who else is tired of TFR's over Chicago and tired of the required diversions if you wanted to travel in the area? Countless trips have been cancelled from Milwaukee to Indianapolis because I'd either have to fly further out over the water or take the long way around bravo.
It happened again (abiet on a smaller scale) over the holiday weekend.

Who else is tired of TFR's over Chicago and tired of the required diversions if you wanted to travel in the area? Countless trips have been cancelled from Milwaukee to Indianapolis because I'd either have to fly further out over the water or take the long way around bravo.

I honestly do not think it has been that bad. Compared to what the Texas guys had to go through it has been a non event here. I still don't like them but at least he is not here every weekend. Not even here once a month for that matter.

Even when he is here half the TFr is over lake michigan and a bunch of the other half is in the bravo. I know it kills some airports to the sw of city and that for truly stink. But one hardly has to fly that far out west to get around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Move to the DC area. We deal with it every day, worse when the Prez is at Camp David.

My airport is one of those in the SW burbs that's affected, and we still do alright. It's a hassle, and it costs us a bunch of money because flying is WAY down and WAY more of a hassle, but it's relatively infrequent. Is it useless? Yes. Is it asinine? Yup. Is it worse elsewhere? You betcha. Is it a death knell to GA? Nope.

Back