Monthly VOR checks

Do you do 30-day VOR checks and log them?

• Of course, it's required to be legal!

Votes: 52 78.8%
  • VOR check? Forgot all about that... It's been a few years but mine works fine.

Votes: 14 21.2%

• Total voters
Why wouldn't I? It takes maybe a minute. If I'm going to bet my butt on it, I'm going to make dang sure it works.

It's a lot more than monthly as I fly several aircraft, and they all see most of their time VFR.

Next, are you going to ask if people update their nav database or sump fuel or run up the engine?

I did (when I had my cherokee 140).

I'd bet your answer is going to be divided between those who have a VOR or VOT on their home base and those who don't.

I am much more diligent about VOR checks now that I am somewhere with a VOR on field. I just do the check every time prior to departing IFR, regardless of how long it has been since the last check.

If there is a ground point, I'll use it (either VOT or VOR check), otherwise the dual method on the ground, usually in a run up area. The problem with airborne points is that you have to get there.

See 14 CFR 91.171(c)

Didn't even have one for a decade. I don't think the check is required for VFR operations, though I'll certainly do so when I do the IFR thing.

If there is a ground point, I'll use it (either VOT or VOR check), otherwise the dual method on the ground, usually in a run up area. The problem with airborne points is that you have to get there.

See 14 CFR 91.171(c)

What do you mean you have to get there? Just need to pick a radial and fly it and tune in both radios and check the variance.

Easy peasy I do the check every month when I update the data card for the 530. Usually update the data card on a flying day so then I log the VOR check.

oh btw - the VOR check was easy at KBED since a VOT was available.

I do it when I fly over KDAL and its VOT.

That is, I do it when my airplane has an engine in it.

I'd bet your answer is going to be divided between those who have a VOR or VOT on their home base and those who don't.
That was my initial thought too. Availability plays a big role since it translates into convenience.

See 14 CFR 91.171(c)
Sure, designated points are not common. But read 14 CFR 91.171(b)(4).

What do you mean you have to get there? Just need to pick a radial and fly it and tune in both radios and check the variance.
2 NAV radios and 2 CDIs are not a common occurrence in all GA aircraft. Which makes it harder to find a spot to perform the single-NAV single-CDI VOR check.
Again, 14 CFR 91.171(b)(4) might help.

That's not the airborne check. That's a dual check. You can do it on the ground.

An airborne check means you fly either an airway centerline that you find by other means (e.g., a GPS) or a specific ground location to fly over. If you had to go through IMC prior to that, or you can't see the ground reference because of undercast or IMC, you have a problem.

For example, the SFO airborne VOR checkpoint is over the Crystal Springs Causeway, 5 miles west of San Carlos, at 2000 ft. Correct reading off the SFO VOR is radial 153, 6.7 DME. At Sacramento (Executive), it's over the approach threshold for rwy 02 at 1000 feet. There is a list of these in the AF/D.

Dual VORs, good reception in the home parking spot. It takes only a minute.

VOT on the field so even if it's not monthly, I can always check in about 30 seconds flat and write it in the book if it's overdue.

For logging, I check the log in the plane and confirm that one has been logged within the preceding 30 days.

However, I check the two VORs against each other after engine start and before calling for taxi clearance on every flight, even if I'm planning on staying in the pattern. Good old law of primacy. My initial CFI taught me to do that over 15 years ago and I still do it. I like to know that everything is working.

i check it on every ifr flight i take. And some non. Its just part of my run up.

It's a easy thing, especially with a EHSI, I go out to the plane and check my little due items journal in the glove box, oh hey my VOR check is due in a couple days, go fly and dial one up while enroute.

It's free and doesn't take but a minute, why not?

That's not the airborne check. That's a dual check. You can do it on the ground.

An airborne check means you fly either an airway centerline that you find by other means (e.g., a GPS) or a specific ground location to fly over. If you had to go through IMC prior to that, or you can't see the ground reference because of undercast or IMC, you have a problem.

For example, the SFO airborne VOR checkpoint is over the Crystal Springs Causeway, 5 miles west of San Carlos, at 2000 ft. Correct reading off the SFO VOR is radial 153, 6.7 DME. At Sacramento (Executive), it's over the approach threshold for rwy 02 at 1000 feet. There is a list of these in the AF/D.

Ah yes that doesn't sound fun. Thanks for the knowledge.

What does the poor unfortunate soul who has only one VOR receiver do to ground calibrate it?

What does the poor unfortunate soul who has only one VOR receiver do to ground calibrate it?

Any of the other methods.

VOTs are real nice. Ground VOR checkpoints almost as nice.

To be honest, IFR sucks with only one VOR receiver and nothing else. Especially on a LOC approach with cross radials. Hell, the KOXR ILS is hard enough to fly with TWO receivers. http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1601/00674IL25.PDF (think about what you would have to do to fly the missed, and how fast you would have to do it -- it's easier if you have two receivers AND DME).

Last edited:
Neither of the answers reflect my situation. I have a WAAS GPS and don't use VOR's for IFR navigation. The VOR check is only required if VOR's are used under IFR. Since I don't use them and there is no VOR or VOT on the field I fly from, I do air checks by comparing two systems against each other. The VOR's are only needed in the case of a WAAS GPS failure. Even though I don't use the VOR's, I still check them in flight and make a notebook entry as it is simple to do and is not time consuming. This preserves the possibility of using the VOR. Interestingly, the ILS system is not required to be checked, but I check it as well on the ground when I am on the localizer on the runway. With the proliferation of RNAV approaches and or an ILS, it is unlikely that I would need to fall back to using VOR for an approach. I haven't had the need in since 2007.

I do an airborne check and compare the two nav radios. Asking if someone does it? Well, people are either legal or they aren't. Are you asking if people actually do them or just pencil whip them?

What got me thinking about the topic was that when I pulled my logbooks for my annual there was a VOR check logbook in the books.

There were 2 entries: 4/3/1977 and 6/15/1978.

I do an airborne check and compare the two nav radios. Asking if someone does it? Well, people are either legal or they aren't. Are you asking if people actually do them or just pencil whip them?

In all fairness, I did set it up as an anonymous poll. Not trying to get anyone busted here. Plus, wouldn't you actually have to be flying IFR for an inspector to request it?

In all fairness, I did set it up as an anonymous poll. Not trying to get anyone busted here. Plus, wouldn't you actually have to be flying IFR for an inspector to request it?

Yeah if you are flying IFR the check needs to be done.

I agree with the quick, easy, and required crowd. Takes 30 Seconds, usually try and do it when I am out horsing around anyway, creates "purpose" for extra flights. :yesnod:

So, who does them monthly and logs them??
Since I never use VOR for navigation, instead relying on WASS GPS, I don't bother with the VOR checks anymore other than an occasional check to make sure they're not dead.

Yeah if you are flying IFR the check needs to be done.

Only if you are IFR and using the VOR system of navigation. I don't have a legal requirement to perform the check because I never use the VOR. I do it anyway because it is simple to perform and it provides me a backup capability.

What got me thinking about the topic was that when I pulled my logbooks for my annual there was a VOR check logbook in the books.

There were 2 entries: 4/3/1977 and 6/15/1978.

I have no entries in my logbook that I am aware of for VOR checks. 91.171(d) reads in part:

(d) Each person making the VOR operational check, as specified in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, shall enter the date, place, bearing error, and sign the aircraft log or other record.

I keep a notebook in my glovebox for this purpose. There is no regulatory requirement specifying how long the record must be kept, that I am aware of.

I have no entries in my logbook that I am aware of for VOR checks. 91.171(d) reads in part:

I keep a notebook in my glovebox for this purpose. There is no regulatory requirement specifying how long the record must be kept, that I am aware of.

No, this was a special VOR check logbook that I found. Not the airframe logbook.

Interesting... now I don't feel so bad because I file and fly GPS everywhere :)

I do not have a VOT on field and the nearest check point (as denoted in the A/FD) is about a 10 minute flight south and you have to get to pattern altitude above an airport, etc.

One plane I fly has two VORs. I usually check them against each other right after run-up. I know what the radial should be at both run-up areas. I don't usually fill out the log as it's a rental/club airplane and those are done otherwise.

For the plane with one nav radio and one (out of date) GPS I just check it.

John

No, this was a special VOR check logbook that I found. Not the airframe logbook.

Interesting... now I don't feel so bad because I file and fly GPS everywhere :)

I do not have a VOT on field and the nearest check point (as denoted in the A/FD) is about a 10 minute flight south and you have to get to pattern altitude above an airport, etc.

You don't have to use an official checkpoint and you're making it MUCH harder than it is. It takes maybe a minute if you write slowly.

A notecard in the glovebox logging the last VOR check is plenty for the logging requirement. You can even write it on your kneeboard, but you'll have to repeat it the next flight if you don't leave it in the plane.

You don't have to use an official checkpoint and you're making it MUCH harder than it is. It takes maybe a minute if you write slowly.

A notecard in the glovebox logging the last VOR check is plenty for the logging requirement. You can even write it on your kneeboard, but you'll have to repeat it the next flight if you don't leave it in the plane.

There is no requirement to keep the log in the aircraft.

I didn't see it noted and its often missed but if doing the Dual VOR test then the radios must share an antenna - 91.171 (c)

I didn't see it noted and its often missed but if doing the Dual VOR test then the radios must share an antenna - 91.171 (c)

No, you are ALLOWED to do the test if they share an antenna.

Otherwise, they must be independent.

There is nothing wrong with separate antennas.

Back