Miami Skyline Scenic Flight - questions about local practices

tb813

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Teddy
I'm planning to fly to Opa Locka for a day, and would like to do a scenic flight along the Miami Skyline. Looking at the sectional, the simplest way seems to be departing KOPF east-bound VFR, stay under the shelve of "Bravo", upon reaching shoreline turn south and fly along the mainland shore between Miami Downtown and South Beach at 1000 ft, then around Key Biscayne and to Stiltsville. From there I can call Miami Center for a FF to my destination.

But is there a better approach to this? I would not mind to be in contact with ATC for traffic advisories, as long as they can give me the best scenic route there is... I'm sure local operator do all kinds of scenic flights there on a regular basis - are there some standard routes/altitudes, and/or local phraseology for requesting such routes from ATC?

Last edited:
A lot of the time they ask you to make the shoreline transition "at or below 500'", especially if you head north from that beach intercept and approach FLL's airspace. Lots of traffic in the area, I suggest you use flight following the whole time. ATC around there is excellent with getting you to what you want to see.

Thank you Henning! Good advise - I'll certainly request FF from the ground. When asking for FF, should I just tell ATC the requested route using the same wording I posted here? Or do controllers there recognize some other names indicating standard scenic routes?

While you're there, do a full stop/taxi back at KMIA. Fun busy class B experience and dirt cheap landing fee.

Thank you Henning! Good advise - I'll certainly request FF from the ground. When asking for FF, should I just tell ATC the requested route using the same wording I posted here? Or do controllers there recognize some other names indicating standard scenic routes?

Make your initial call on clearance delivery, tell them what you would like to do and ask if there will be any problem, and request a beacon code. They really are pretty easy to work with around there.

While you're there, do a full stop/taxi back at KMIA. Fun busy class B experience and dirt cheap landing fee.

I'd rather do a T&G otherwise the taxi back may put you in a 20 minute line.

I've heard that the East = odd + 500, West = even + 500 is different in FL.
Its North and South? True? Which one is which?

Huh. Guess I need to set someone straight... lol

Back