Metal in the oil filter

bruno82

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Emanuel Ferreira
I recently purchased a 172xp 900hr smoh Con IO-360 k. It was in Florida the last two years and in a hanger in Maine prior.
The last annual was In July and was bore scoped and had no metal in the oil. It flew 2hrs from July till mid October, and prior to the annual it only had 15 hrs for the year.
I flew it back from Florida to Washington. I got an oil change done when I got back and this is what was found in the oil filter. My mechanic doesn't seem as freaked out as me. Pic are attached. I am new to aviation, I bought this plane to train and get my PPL.

PXL_20241025_204924189.jpgPXL_20241025_204903505.jpg

My mechanic doesn't seem as freaked out as me. Pic are attached. I am new to aviation, I bought this plane to train and get my PPL.
Not everything you are seeing is metal. One common option is to fly for 10 hours and perform another oil/filter change and compare results. However, based on your photos and your mechanics take, I don't see any issues other than an engine that has not flown enough.

Would be helpful if you separated the material found in filter. It's extremely important to know the composition of what you found.

There are several ways to it - this is what I do.

Place the material found in the filter is a small glass container (small mason jar is perfect).
Add a tablespoon or so of solvent (I just use a bit of avgas).
Get a small magnet and put it in the corner of a zip lock bag.
Put corner of the zip lock bag in the container with the solvent.
Swish around for a min or so.
Take bag out and place on a clean rag or paper towel and let dry. Metal stuck to magnet is ferrous.
Pour remaining contents onto another clean rag/paper towel and let dry. Black stuff will most likely be carbon and any shinny stuff will be aluminum.

I recently purchased a 172xp 900hr smoh Con IO-360 k. It was in Florida the last two years and in a hanger in Maine prior.
The last annual was In July and was bore scoped and had no metal in the oil. It flew 2hrs from July till mid October, and prior to the annual it only had 15 hrs for the year.
I flew it back from Florida to Washington. I got an oil change done when I got back and this is what was found in the oil filter. My mechanic doesn't seem as freaked out as me. Pic are attached. I am new to aviation, I bought this plane to train and get my PPL.

View attachment 134581View attachment 134582
Add some solvent, use magnet to isolate ferrous metal from aluminum. Have oil sample analysis

Back