Memory aid for altitude

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Does anyone have a handy memory aid I can use in the cockpit to remember assigned altitudes? Something that uses existing instruments?

I can use the bug on the DG for assigned headings, but can I use for altitudes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the ADF freq to set approach mins and takeoff altitudes.

If you have a glass panel, altitude bugs are common (and some would argue necessary). For traditional altimeters, not so much and add-ons, a bit weird
ALTBUGbig__19245.1293707781.1280.1280.jpg

I've also seen folks try to use such things as the ADF, etc. But really, nothing beats two things:
(1) pen and paper
(2) basic memory. Even VFR, we are regularly cross-referencing our altimeter to confirm that we are maintaining altitude. How hard is it to remember 3,200 when we are glancing to confirm a couple of times a minute?

You could say that #2 also applies to the heading bug. True, but IMO, heading bugs are really there more for the autopilot and to assist in bracketing than as a memory aid.

Most glass panel PFDs have an altitude bug function. While the most expensive way to complete your goal, they're cool. :)

heading bugs are really there more for the autopilot and to assist in bracketing than as a memory aid.

I find it useful to set my heading bug to the ATIS/AWOS wind direction.

Most glass panel PFDs have an altitude bug function. While the most expensive way to complete your goal, they're cool. :)

be careful with that one...

I was flying an SR-20 (and yes I landed without the red handle) and crossing 3500 to 8500 and got a freq change. I checked on the new freq with 8500 instead of the actual alt. He's like "confirm altimeter xx.xx" and corrected it.

Set the alt. On my aspen. Or old fashioned pencil and paper,with clearance info.

I have one of those rotating doohickeys that Mark posted a picture of above. Only has one arrow on it, which I use to bug DA/MDA on instrument approaches. Sometimes I'll use it enroute for altitudes but otherwise I'll write them down or store them in short-term memory.

I don't get a ton of altitude change requests from ATC, usually it's enroute altitude, one they give me prior to approach into the airport, then I'm over to tower and on my own.

Doesn't take a lot of effort to remember those.

Write it down.

Or

Do the math and count down: 8,000 descending 5,000. 3,000 to go. 2,000 to go. 1,000 (always a mandatory call for me) to go.

I used the moveable compass card on the ADF or a VOR OBS I am not using.

Well, the money that you spent also buys you audio alerts for altitude as well :)

I am technology geek in the cockpit but personally I still rely on and prefer kneeboard with scratchpad and pen for altitudes, frequencies, headings and ATS.

I find it useful to set my heading bug to the ATIS/AWOS wind direction.

Huh, I set my heading bug for the desired course, and tweak it for wind correction. That way the AUtoPilot takes me where I want to go. Set it for the wind direction, I'll just motor slowly into the wind . . . .

Write it down.

Or

Do the math and count down: 8,000 descending 5,000. 3,000 to go. 2,000 to go. 1,000 (always a mandatory call for me) to go.

:yeahthat: Both of them.

I have problems remembering altitudes to climb or descend to when combined with multiple other items.

Hand flying IFR in my Maule I dialed vectors and altitudes into something on the panel just to keep my head up and looking at the panel. For altitudes I added one of the dial doohickies as shown in a previous post. They looked dinky but worked well for me. Everything else was written down.

Now with my RV10's glass panel, I'm completely paperless and only write down initial or amended clearances on Foreflight's scratchpad. Everything else is dialed in to the EFIS and I try to let the AP capture altitudes.

I make no attempt at relying on memory any longer.

I wonder if sportys sells a metal altitude calculator. I had their landing one, but it just up and came from together a while back

be careful with that one...

I was flying an SR-20 (and yes I landed without the red handle) and crossing 3500 to 8500 and got a freq change. I checked on the new freq with 8500 instead of the actual alt. He's like "confirm altimeter xx.xx" and corrected it.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Huh, I set my heading bug for the desired course, and tweak it for wind correction. That way the AUtoPilot takes me where I want to go. Set it for the wind direction, I'll just motor slowly into the wind . . . .

Just like Chris, I assume he means on the ground. I can see how this would be a handy reminder. Timmy don't have no bug though. :)

Set the altitude pre-selector if you have one.

Altitude pre select and heading bug, or pen and paper if not equipped

Back