Maine Destinations

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Looking to fly up to Maine finally. Anyone know of any good airports to head to between Portland to Bar Harbor area? Food, nice towns, cool sites, etc?

Bar Harbor is expensive, as you can imagine.

KSFM has a decent restaurant and reasonable fuel prices.
0B1 is a nice spot. Town isn't too far away, good sandwich shop. Cheap gas.
65B and KEPM are about as far east as you can get in the US.
KRKD has a neat transportation museum on site. You can taxi right up to it, across the grass runway that parallels the paved.
I imagine bringing some bikes to ME5 to ride around the island would be nice.

:thumbsup: RKD and the Owls Head Transportation Museum.

I'm a supporter of ksfm,like the restuanant,and FBO.Also like owls head.

I go into IWI regularly. You can rent a car there and go just about anywhere of interest.

Here's KIWI while on (Right)DW for #25. Let me know when you're coming and we can connect. Lunch at Sarah's Cafe would be nice(and you could view my exhibit). That's U.S. Route 1 down there.KIWI_1.jpg

Yeah, I've eaten at Sarah's. Great place to watch people stand in line at Red's. We were seated, had our lobstah rolls, and paid up and left before the people who were in line when we went in go to the window.

I usually go up in the late summer as I have family in Booth Bay Harbor.

Yeah, I've eaten at Sarah's. Great place to watch people stand in line at Red's. We were seated, had our lobstah rolls, and paid up and left before the people who were in line when we went in go to the window.

I usually go up in the late summer as I have family in Booth Bay Harbor.
_DSC8523 (1Pan).JPG There's Sarah's Cafe, on the upside of the RR tracks, in Wiscasset. Directly across the road at right is Red's Eats. However, on September 27, no long line of people -- they're closed for the season.

View attachment 44377 There's Sarah's Cafe, on the upside of the RR tracks, in Wiscasset. Directly across the road at right is Red's Eats. However, on September 27, no long line of people -- they're closed for the season.

Slightly different view; maybe Red's WAS still open: does look like a line at the lunch stand. But FOR CERTAIN: heavy tourist season was OVER. The Don Davey Memorial Bridge rarely has spaces between vehicles from Memorial Day to just after Labor Day. Wiscasset is one of the worst bumper to bumper traffic debacles in all of Maine during the summer months.

HR

Attachments

• _DSC8525 (2 Pan).JPG
    _DSC8525 (2 Pan).JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 12
We flew into a quiet Maine fishing village, Stonington. 93B - Short runway, no fuel, hotel owner picked us up and dropped us off, walked everywhere, ate plenty of lobster, enjoyed lighthouse tours and spent quality time with my Bride. Really enjoyed the locals, what a friendly place.

http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2009/09/stonington-maine.html
Inbound Stonington, Maine; Welcome to:; and Outbound Stonington?(if one's not careful?)
[Fail: image of the church and cemetery was too large.]

Attachments

• DSC06553.JPG
    DSC06553.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC06554.JPG
    DSC06554.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Carrabasset Valley north of Farmington. In the fall, before snow season. Used to be able to get the ski operators to come pick you up at the airport to get to their lift. Take the lift to the top house for a nice foliage run and lunch.

Back