Low wing production taildraggers

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
Low wing production non-military taildraggers

I've been taking a mental inventory of all the low wing civil taildraggers I can think of. On the EAB side of things there are many, but for production aircraft I can only think of a few:

Globe Swift
Cessna T-50
Beech 18
Lockheed Electra (the pre-war ones)

I have to think there are others, especially pre-WWII. Can anyone list some of them?

Last edited:
Count WWII warbirds and there are tons.

Is the DC3 'civil' or 'dual purpose' ?

Pre-war, low wing conventional gear was pretty common, in the US and abroad.

First thing that comes to my mind is the ag planes.

Is the DC3 'civil' or 'dual purpose' ?

Pre-war, low wing conventional gear was pretty common, in the US and abroad.

I'm trying to think of anything that was originally sold to the civilian marketplace. So to me a DC-3 would count, since it had a civil market as part of its production run, but a C-46 wouldn't because it was produced for the military and found its way into civil use through surplus sales.

Last edited:
Re: Low wing production non-military taildraggers

I've been taking a mental inventory of all the low wing civil taildraggers I can think of. On the EAB side of things there are many, but for production aircraft I can only think of a few:

Globe Swift
Cessna T-50
Beech 18
Lockheed Electra (the pre-war ones)

I have to think there are others, especially pre-WWII. Can anyone list some of them?

There are many, the modern tricycle gear was introduced just before WWII.

I'm trying to think of anything that was originally sold to the civilian marketplace. So to me a DC-3 would count, since it had a civil market as part of its production run, but a C-46 wouldn't because it was produced for the military and found its way into civil use through surplus sales.

The C-46 was designed as a civil airliner but WWII intervened.

Boeing 307 Stratoliner
Boeing 247
Also, in addition to the -3, the DC-1/DC-2
There was also a single engine low wing Lockheed Orion that was a tail dragger (and the airplane Wiley Post and Will Rogers were killed in)

Last edited:
Bellanca Cruisemaster. It still has better feeling controls than any passenger plane made today.

039147.jpg

Grob 109 and a few others similar. Technically they are gliders, include all gliders and there are tons more to list.

Tiger Moth (one wing is low), Chipmunk, Zlin 526 .......

Ryan STA.
Ryan SCW.
Messerschmitt 108
Lockheed Altair, Explorer, & Sirius

Back