Looking for used Garmin 430 or 530 GPS

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
I just bought a nice Beechcraft Debonair and need to find a used Garmin 430 or 540 GPS with 12v/24v and antenna to put in it. Would like one in good condition.

Ping me if you have one for sale.

-Scott

I just bought a nice Beechcraft Debonair and need to find a used Garmin 430 or 540 GPS with 12v/24v and antenna to put in it. Would like one in good condition.

Ping me if you have one for sale.

-Scott

If you have not tried beech talk yet, you might want to. Several are up there now in the $6k range

And be wary of the various scams out there. Many a owner has gotten caught up in them and seen a big chunk of change evaporate with nothng to show for it.

And be wary of the various scams out there. Many a owner has gotten caught up in them and seen a big chunk of change evaporate with nothng to show for it.

I look at Barnstormer like Craigslist. 50/50 chance of getting ripped off. Allen Fox and Lance Casper seem like good dudes on BT though. I've bought from Allen and it was legit.

Agreed. I've decided to wait and budget to have a new Garmin 650 GTN put in my new to me Debonair. Couple shops in San Diego quoted me ~ 10K including antenna, tray and installation. Plane already has a newer Garmin 327 Mode C transponder. I looked at Avidyne but Garmin holds the best long term value if I ever decide to upgrade to a bigger faster plane like my dream twin the Beechcraft Baron!

The avidyne seems to be somewhere between the 430, 650 and 530, 750 models. Best thing is avidyne is slide in replacement for garmin..which really does you no good. That's a good price for that install. You might want to price the gtn750. They have some nice extra features.

I might go down the Garmin 750 GTN route that would be sweet for long trips in the Debbie. I am used to flying go slow Cessnas and Pipers so having a real serious cross country machine will be a treat. From San Diego, I can easily head to Catalina, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Montana and northwest. I was cruising 140 kts barely pushing it on the demo flight using 19" MP 2100 RPM.

The additional screen size and some functionality and "how it does the functions" are well worth the additional cash outlay to the GTN750

Agree. For now I will use my portable Garmin GPS and iPad until I can splurge for new panel. I want to keep enough funds for short term MX, fuel and oil. Plus I need a few things for the new bird. With 2020 ADSB mandate coming, next year after annual is done will be good time to get the avionics work done.

I try to schedule avionics upgrades when the ifr cert is due as they include that when installing major components usually.

That cert is about $75. A drop in the bucket against most new avionics.

Agree which is why after my IR and Commercial ratings I want to get my A&P training to save on maintenance. Have a few buddies who are AP/IA that tell me it is best way to afford aircraft ownership experience. One shop wanted 16 hours labor to install four point shoulder harness in the Debonair and my A&P buddy told me they were trying to rip me off on labor cost when no way in hades it takes that long.

One shop wanted 16 hours labor to install four point shoulder harness in the Debonair and my A&P buddy told me they were trying to rip me off on labor cost when no way in hades it takes that long.

I'm not sure how different they are, probably totally different, but I just installed a 4 point shoulder harness system in my Cherokee 180. did it owner assisted with the help of another buddy(so 3 of us). Took about 20 hours total from taking the headliner down and all the trim to installing the harness kit per STC and stretching and gluing the headliner back up and cleaning up. Not an easy task. Now if they do it all the time I can see it going in much less time. Otherwise that's doesn't sound like a bad time frame to me.

And I just got quoted $350 for the transponder and static check.

Parker penned.

Nope. Retired guy with proper test gear who didn't need much money. Because...

He sold the business to a local shop (and the test gear and customer list) made his money there, and now it's $150 from the shop.

The real money was in the customer list.

Only downside is that he used to come to the hangar. Now we gotta take the airplane to the shop.

Was nice while it lasted.

Still cheap anyway. But not for what it is. It's about as hard a test as bleeding a set of brakes.

Back