Looking for DB update for Garmin MX-20

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
Anyone have an update they want to sell for the Garmin MX-20 they are not planning on applying? I see plenty of GNS430/530 updates, but not the MX-20.

If anyone wants to sell one, please contact me.

Garmin doesn't sell MX-20 updates (only GMX-200), I think you're stuck buying a subscription from Jepp.

The card must be formatted first. The DB can't just be copied onto my card. I need to send my card, or a new card to the person with the update. They need to format the card and update it. Otherwise, the update won't work on my unit. There is something in the update process that formats the card so it will work. I think there is some hidden files somewhere, or something to that effect. The hidden file contains information unique to the subscription. Each subscription is different.

Craig Vincent, the GX update guy, used to sell them but no longer does. I'd like to update mine too, if you find a source.

The card must be formatted first. The DB can't just be copied onto my card. I need to send my card, or a new card to the person with the update. They need to format the card and update it. Otherwise, the update won't work on my unit. There is something in the update process that formats the card so it will work. I think there is some hidden files somewhere, or something to that effect. The hidden file contains information unique to the subscription. Each subscription is different.

I've always just used the same card reader and updated two for one.

I've always just used the same card reader and updated two for one.

You updated on the same subscription, using the Jeppeson software, right? That's what the person with the subscription would have to do, and the reason for sending them a card. It's not as simple as just copy the DB files to your card and you're done. The first time, the card must be initialized to the subscription, then after that is done, you can simply copy the DB files to the card, so long as it's from the same subscriber.

Back