Looking for CFI in Central AR

jbaker72157

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jbaker12
I am not having much luck going to local airports and finding a CFI so I figured I would give it a shot on here.

I am looking for an independent CFI with plane near KBDQ, KCCA (<-these two are the closest), KCWS, or KRUE for flight training. Not looking to join a flying club at this time.

If you are available or know someone who is, please pm me for contact info, thanks.

Last edited:
Shoot - I like my CFI over at KHOT - but I fly over to him.. .hmmm need to give him a call...

Have you tried calling the FBO at any of those airports? They will know the local CFIs pretty well. Might also call KORK and ask if any of their CFIs work with students out west.

If that doesn't pan out, post back - I'm out of state right now, but I'll be with a number of CFI's Friday and Saturday that might know someone working those airports..

(Come on over to Carlisle - 4m3 - Saturday AM for the EAA fly in - might be others there you can ask.)

I'm out of the loop now since I've been gone from Conway for nearly 8 years, but when I started training there I just walked into the FBO and asked. I walked away with a few business cards and a "I'd call this guy first if I were you" comment.

I had the chance to stop in there a month ago, and the same 152 I trained in was sitting on the ramp and is owned by the same LLC, I think. My CFI has left, but it sounded like they were still using it for training. Also, they have a new airport that is or is about to open southwest of the city (there's others here that are based there that will probably chime in). The guy in the FBO said they're keeping CWS open until they can get a fuel farm setup at the new place and get everyone moved over.

Yeah I have been to CWS and BDQ several times. Talking to the airport commissioner at BDQ I was told the two there had retired. At CWS I just get referred to join either Sparrow or Superior flying clubs which I am considering.

I have not had a chance to get to Russellville or Clinton yet. Would love to make it up to the fly-in at Carlisle but I'll be on-call this weekend and unable to leave the county.

Ah, I didn't know Sparrow was a club. When I was there I think maybe they were just starting up, so I just rented their one 152 and used an independent CFI. Looks like a reasonable rate for their planes considering ground instruction and insurance is included with the club fee.

ASL Aviation at KRUE has a Sundowner for instruction and are getting a staff CFI. John Catlett is a local (Russellville/Danville) CFI with a Cardinal for instructing. I don't have phone numbers at home. Call the airport office at 479-967-1227. Who ever answers should be able to provide phone numbers.

I have nothing to add, sorry, just excited to read about some folks back home. Good luck JBaker.

signed,
Hog fan stuck on a rock out in the Pacific

I will be in Russellville this evening any may just stop in and talk to someone there. I too am glad to see that there are several pilots from AR on this board.

CWS has a couple instructors. I have talked to one of them, the younger one with red hair. He seemed cool.

Why do you have reservations about joining a club? With Sparrow, you could train in all sorts of airframes. I don't see you logic. Plus they have planes at CWS and RUE so take your pick!

I am thinking about joining to access the M20 they have in Conway.

I'm a new CFI/CFII/MEI at KRUE and KCXW. PM me if you are still looking.

With Sparrow, you could train in all sorts of airframes. I don't see you logic. Plus they have planes at CWS and RUE so take your pick!

I am thinking about joining to access the M20 they have in Conway.

We no longer have any planes based outside of Conway. Also we just got rid of the M20. It needed a new turbo and was going to cost $$$$$$ to fix.

Currently our fleet consists of:

1998 Cessna 172R
19** Cessna 152 Sparrow Hawk
20** Cessna 162 LSA
2006 Cirrus SR-20

The Cirrus might still meet your needs, plus its a very nice aircraft.

What's up with the Bonanza? I tAlked to Josh and he said they were trying to acquire one already on the field. Said Chuck was spearheading it. I'm not in the club, but if they have a Bo, I'm going to Join. In need 6 seats maybe once every 2 months and just to sputter around, I'd run the 152 for sigh seeing/ getting out of the house.

I'm also in need of a double I right now. I keep putting it off, and work has been sending me all over the country. I need an IPc after a very long layoff from instrument flying, and don't really know where to start.

I'm a CFII and have a Seneca II for $350/hr, also have a Skylane that would be good for an instrument refresher and a good VFR sundowner.

I think the Bo is available for rent at Sparrow now (or will be soon)

I have an Archer /g in a hangar so I don't need a rental plane for training. What I do really need is 6 seats every now and again. Cheaper to rent it than pay for it all year when I'm flying mostly solo.

Copy all, the A36 at Sparrow is the only 6 seater single that I know of in the area.

Didn't realize that I was responding to an 8 month old thread when I sent you a PM earlier today. SLAKE is the CFI at ASL in Russellville that I mentioned.

Last I heard we've signed the papers but I haven't heard anything past that. I'll ask tonight and see if any progress has been made.

I'm in if they have the Bo.

Back