Looking for a great airframe to mount Rotax 9 series

Zenith, either a 750 or a CH650 depending on wing preference. Great builder support and a cash sensitive option.

If you've got more time and more money, then it's one of the RVs for sure.

Or a Kitfox. They've got a great following now as well.

Zenith, either a 750 or a CH650 depending on wing preference. Great builder support and a cash sensitive option.

If you've got more time and more money, then it's one of the RVs for sure.

Or a Kitfox. They've got a great following now as well.
How is the factory support from Zenith? Are replacement and repair parts readily available upon request?
I like the KitFox...

Vans is only powering the one model with Rotax IIRC?

The Rotax 9 series opens a wide variety of aircraft to you.

Budget is no object your options span from a 180kt Risen 915SV to the Eaglet Coaxial Helicopter (if its still in production).

Personally, I have been mulling a Rotax 915 powered Wittman Tailwind since the release of the 915, but that is as much a design project as a build project.

If you are looking to replace your current LSA, a Kitfox or Aeropup can be good tube and fabric options which can be built quite quickly with modern fabric systems (especially Oratex). If you want something from metal Zenith airplanes (650B/750STOL/750Cruiser) have a reputation for coming together relatively quickly and flying well. With a used engine and basic panel, all of these planes can be built for less than $100K, the Aeropup estimates its cost to build at $50K.

The RV-12 seems to be the measuring stick for Rotax LSAs these days, its not the cheapest to build but it will likely be the easiest to insure and sell later.

If you aren't looking for an LSA, the 4 seat Sling TSI is on the pricier side, but a lot of plane for the money. Then there are a handful of really interesting, high speed European Ultralights that can be ordered as kits and registered EAB (including the Risen, Shark, and Blackshape Prime).

And this post doesn't even start to cover the Autogyros, Powered Parachute and Flexwing options.

This post may not be terribly helpful, but what I want to point out is that your question is along the lines of "What color should I paint a wall?". There are so many options its tough to make suggestions without more information.

Many of the smaller sport biplanes were designed for a small Continental, but would do well with a 9xx.

Vans is only powering the one model with Rotax IIRC?
Only the RV-12, which is their LSA. Lockwood has developed a kit to put a 915 in an RV-9 (side-by-side, longer wings than the -7, non-aerobatic). With the 915 having a turbo, they’re saying it puts out max continuous power (75%) up to 19,000 feet. It will easily exceed Vne (200 KTAS - Vne for Van’s aircraft is true, not indicated, airspeed) at cruise power at that altitude. Sounds like it will be eyewateringly expensive, though. Everything in front of the cockpit except the nosewheel and strut will be new, and part of the package.

Only the RV-12, which is their LSA. Lockwood has developed a kit to put a 915 in an RV-9 (side-by-side, longer wings than the -7, non-aerobatic). With the 915 having a turbo, they’re saying it puts out max continuous power (75%) up to 19,000 feet. It will easily exceed Vne (200 KTAS - Vne for Van’s aircraft is true, not indicated, airspeed) at cruise power at that altitude. Sounds like it will be eyewateringly expensive, though. Everything in front of the cockpit except the nosewheel and strut will be new, and part of the package.
Rotax 915is sells for around 50k.

Are aerobatics OK in any of the 9-series engines? I don't mean inverted systems (though that'd be cool too), but gyroscopic loads on the prop shaft and gearbox?

Are aerobatics OK in any of the 9-series engines? I don't mean inverted systems (though that'd be cool too), but gyroscopic loads on the prop shaft and gearbox?
Given the steps that Rotax suggests any time you get air in the oil system suction side (potential for damage to the lifters) I would think that aerobatics would be, in general, a bad idea. But that's me.

"As air can be trapped in the valve tappets and cause valve train failure it is very
important to complete these instructions in their entirety."

Back