Logged my first multi time today

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
In a pretty cool airplane:

20240616_093924.jpgIMG_20240616_095516904_HDR.jpgIMG_20240616_095523656_HDR.jpgIMG_20240616_095527231.jpgIMG_20240616_095549535_HDR.jpgIMG_20240616_114040343.jpg20240616_085943.jpgIMG_20240616_122356711.jpg

Our local EAA chapter hosted the Trimotor at MTO, and I volunteered to help. Took the family down for breakfast early this morning and was able to get a ride in the right seat. The pilot is an MEI, so I was able to log it as dual received and he signed my logbook. Convinced 3 of the kids to go for a ride as well, so I can say I got to fly my kids in a Trimotor for Father's day. Super fun to get up close and personal with this old girl.

The controls are super heavy, and she demands a lot of rudder. The over-banking tendency is pronounced. I'm pretty impressed that the pilot was able to fly 12 flights in 90*+ temperatures and 14 knot crosswinds.

Awesome! I’ve been up in them twice at Oshkosh, but I’m jealous that you got to log some time in it. :)

One of the most iconic planes. Absolutely fabulous experience. Congrats.

Have been ground support for several years got plenty of rides but no stick time. Congrats

Awesome! I’ve been up in them twice at Oshkosh, but I’m jealous that you got to log some time in it. :)
When I found out that you could legitimately log time in it, there was no way I was going to pass up that opportunity. I helped a little bit on Friday and got a ride in the back, but I made sure to get my name in early this morning for right seat.

Just being close to the plane and pulling chocks was fun. Getting to put my hands on the wheel and feel the weight of the controls was next level.

In a pretty cool airplane:

View attachment 130170View attachment 130171View attachment 130172View attachment 130173View attachment 130174View attachment 130175View attachment 130169View attachment 130176

Our local EAA chapter hosted the Trimotor at MTO, and I volunteered to help. Took the family down for breakfast early this morning and was able to get a ride in the right seat. The pilot is an MEI, so I was able to log it as dual received and he signed my logbook. Convinced 3 of the kids to go for a ride as well, so I can say I got to fly my kids in a Trimotor for Father's day. Super fun to get up close and personal with this old girl.

The controls are super heavy, and she demands a lot of rudder. The over-banking tendency is pronounced. I'm pretty impressed that the pilot was able to fly 12 flights in 90*+ temperatures and 14 knot crosswinds.
That's amazing! Flying in one of those is a total bucket list item for me.

That's amazing! Flying in one of those is a total bucket list item for me.
Dang man, you should've come down! MTO is a short flight for you.

So, which engine is the critical engine.??
Well, they all turn to the right, so it should still be the left one. If I understood correctly, the current engines are 450hp each vs the original's 300, so it would seem that losing one wouldn't be too much of an issue in any case.

Omg that’s awesome!! So it’s not a type rating so it’s logging time or logging PIC time?

Well, they all turn to the right, so it should still be the left one. If I understood correctly, the current engines are 450hp each vs the original's 300, so it would seem that losing one wouldn't be too much of an issue in any case.
I always thought with the original engines they put 3 on it because 2 were not enough... :lol:

Omg that’s awesome!! So it’s not a type rating so it’s logging time or logging PIC time?
Under 12,500, and not a turbine, so no type rating. I'm not multi rated, so I can't log pic, but I can log dual received. Of course now I have .3 multi that I'll be carrying over for the foreseeable future. It'll be a nice little reminder of today.

I did the same thing out of Spirit of St Louis several years ago (getting right seat time) when I had been away from flying for close to 25 years.

I guess my wife noticed the huge grin on my face after we landed because she said "why don't you start flying again?". I couldn't pass up that offer so I started up again, eventually leading to the purchase of an Archer and several years of memorable flights!

Of course now I have .3 multi that I'll be carrying over for the foreseeable future. It'll be a nice little reminder of today.
Go knock out that multi!

Go knock out that multi!
I promised myself I wouldn't even look at twins until I get a bigger hangar. I'm number 8 on the list...

Captain Bill? If so he's the one member in our chapter I'd really like to get to know.
I volunteered a couple years ago when we hosted one, I think it was the TAT one. Fun ride.

I’ve got a whopping 12 hrs of multi piston.

5 to get ATP. 5 to get MEI

The other two in THAT plane! Didn’t get to do it on Father’s Day nor with my kids. Bravo for you!! That’s pretty dang cool!!

Honestly it flies like my Piet…. Just bigger, noisier and heavier. Add power, tail comes up, start moving…. Fly around, land, roll out, stop and tail comes down. Pitch like never changed! Coolest craziest thing ever.

Captain Bill? If so he's the one member in our chapter I'd really like to get to know.
I volunteered a couple years ago when we hosted one, I think it was the TAT one. Fun ride.
No, but I guess he did come down and fly a couple of the trips on Saturday. Got to talk to him a bit at a YE event. He was showing pictures of the work they were doing to one of the Fords. Cool guy.

Of course now I have .3 multi that I'll be carrying over for the foreseeable future. It'll be a nice little reminder of today.

I have 5.7 from over 15 years ago that I keep copying from page to page. Every time I wonder why I bother, yet every time I keep doing it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. The gauges on the engine support always catches my eye. We saw it at DKX while riding our bikes along the river. On approach it wasn't going much faster than we were.

The first time I went to Oshkosh, in 2018, I spent hours in holding patterns before and after a breather and fuel stop at Dells, then spent the night camping at Juneau, and finally got past Ripon the next morning. As I was about to turn final for 36L, Tower asked me to sidestep to 36R. I landed on my colored shape and caught a shadow passing over me. I looked up and the Trimotor swooped right over my head on its right turn departing 36L. That was my “welcome to Oshkosh” moment, which will probably live with me as long as I have memory.

I got a ride in the plane that week but didn’t get to sit anywhere near the front. Awesome for you having this opportunity. The pictures should probably be framed and on display somewhere in your house.

Very nice. The gauges on the engine support always catches my eye. We saw it at DKX while riding our bikes along the river. On approach it wasn't going much faster than we were.
I always that was such a cool feature, but from the front seats, you can barely see them, much less read them. You'd have to ask whoever was in the front passenger seats. They do have gauges for all three engines on the panel that you can actually read.

Back