LogBook Question. New Student

k4king

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
k4king
Im a brand new student going through my ground school and noticed from research that I can either keep an online logbook like LogTenPro on iPad/iOS devices or a physical copy. I plan on doing both to know how to use both and just get in the habit early on with both methods.

Now my question is, in LogTenPro after each flight when you click on the three dots on the right hand side, it has an option to sign the flight. Is this signature for my instructor to sign off on my flight or is this for me?

Secondly, if the case is latter where the signature is for my instructor, is there also a place for him/her to sign off after each flight on my physical logbook? because I do not see that signature box on physical copy

1) for your instructor

2) yes, there is space

I kept a paper and Foreflight for about 120hrs, then FF only. It felt weird for a very short time; now I don’t look back.

It's for your instructor. Logbook regulations require an instructor signature in order for instruction to be valid. Nothing requires your signature.

In a paper logbook. the instructor signature goes most aywheree. If there is room in the comments area, they sign there, but most often the comments are to ensure the flight tasks are properly recorder, so instructors sign wherever there is room - usually along the row where columns are not used. Some paper logbooks have for room than others. Sometimes seems the more "professional," the less room.

You should enter and get instructor signatures for all of your dual and instructed flight time, as well as ground hours. Your comments should include the topics covered in the flight or lesson.
You don't need the signature for solo hours.

I used the paper logbook for about 5 flights before switching to Foreflight. The automatic summaries and ease of finding specific entries is a huge improvement over paper.

Then, when you get into planning cross-country flights, you'll see why so many pilots use FF or another EFB. Having everything in one place digitally is far more convenient than carrying around a bunch of stuff.

You should enter and get instructor signatures for all of your dual and instructed flight time, as well as ground hours. Your comments should include the topics covered in the flight or lesson.
You don't need the signature for solo hours.

I used the paper logbook for about 5 flights before switching to Foreflight. The automatic summaries and ease of finding specific entries is a huge improvement over paper.

Then, when you get into planning cross-country flights, you'll see why so many pilots use FF or another EFB. Having everything in one place digitally is far more convenient than carrying around a bunch of stuff.
I know many do it, but I wouldn't necessarily tie my logbook to a specific EFB.

It's for your instructor. Logbook regulations require an instructor signature in order for instruction to be valid. Nothing requires your signature.
The keeper of the paper logbook should sign the bottom of each page attesting to the correctness of the entries for that page. The ones I keep/kept (in addition to FF) has a space for the pilot to "Certify" the accuracy of the entries. Don't know if it is required by FAR but all the ones I have seen/used has that place and verbiage to sign.

Last edited:
The keeper of the paper logbook should sign the bottom of each page attesting to the correctness of the entries for that page. The ones I keep/kept (in addition to FF) has a space for the pilot to "Certify" the accuracy of the entries. Don't know if it is required by FAR but all the ones I have seen/used has that place and verbiage to sign.
My original log book does not have that space. There is no regulation that I am aware of requiring it.

Just because Jeppesen or ASA or whoever makes the logbook adds a signature line on each page, it doesn't mean there's any FAA requirement to sign it. I never have since very early on in my training. Now that I've gone completely digital, it's not like I'm supposed to print out a page every so often and sign it.

This is for the FAA anyway, other countries may have their own requirements.

Despite the publishers of many paper logbooks including it, there is absolutely no regulatory requirement to sign each page or anything else in your logbook (except for instructors recording dual or endorsements).

If you choose to sign each page, fine. I’m not against it and I’ve signed a page when someone asked me to, but otherwise I haven’t for over 2 decades.

Back