Letters to Airmen

X3 Skier

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer

If you thought the NOTAM System was bad, here's another way to miss useful (or not) information. Can't wait till the name is changed to Letters to Air Missions. Can't have Airmen in any FAA Document.

If you thought the NOTAM System was bad, here's another way to miss useful (or not) information. Can't wait till the name is changed to Letters to Air Missions. Can't have Airmen in any FAA Document.
Howza bout Letters to Homo Sapiens

I don’t care what they call them, my post office won’t deliver them to me.

in the usaf side we call them FCIF. (Flight Crew Information Files). Most are advisory, a good chunk are no-step items if not read and acknowledged as read in the system. Far from perfect, didn't help the B-1 crew not...bone it up... -good night folks I'm here all week! *trips on mic cable* :biggrin:

b. The Letter To Airmen must adhere to the following:
1. The Letter To Airmen must be originated in LTA Manager and disseminated via the AIM NOTAM
website.
2. The Letter To Airmen is informational in nature and must not contain words which imply
mandatory instructions. The words “must” and “shall” are not to be used in a Letter To Airmen.
3. Chart attachments must be used in lieu of narrative descriptions to the extent possible.
4. The signed original Letter To Airmen must be maintained by the originating facility.
5. Each Letter To Airmen must contain an effective date (UTC) and a cancellation date (UTC) and
must not remain in effect beyond the date the information contained in the letter becomes obsolete or more
than 24 months
, whichever occurs first.
6. Issue a new Letter To Airmen for the same subject prior to the end of the 24−month period only if
the information contained requires continued publication. (See FIG 4−5−1.)

I admit that I've never heard of a letter to airman until this thread. Seems like great info that would be useful.

I hope your response was "the check's in the mail".
I live in one of the few places in the civilized world where that can be a sincere excuse. But no, my actual response was somewhat more ... what's the word ... postal.

The FAA made it difficult for LTA to be extracted from the FNS NOTAM site, but last month, ForeFlight now extracts them and publishes them in the airport view Airports>Procedure>Airport. See an examples at KCLT, KSJC, and KSFO. Also ForeFlight added links in the Procedure tab to any Special Notices that the FAA defines a document link. See the special notice at KHWO for the Sheridan/Shoreline Departure found in KHWO>Airports>procedure>Departure>Sheridan/Shoreline Departure. Before these were added, they were effectively invisible to the pilot community.

Seriously can you guys get a new joke? The same old recycled “haha air persons” is so overplayed.

Seriously can you guys get a new joke? The same old recycled “haha air persons” is so overplayed.
New joke, coming up! Letters to Alcoholics

Back