Leadville Sept 29

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Haven't you always wanted that certificate stating you've just landed at the highest, paved airport in the Continental US? Here's your chance!

Sat, Sep 29 7-11 am. Annual Flyin/Drive in
Pancake breakfast ($6 each) and avgas $4.95/gal (which is the regular price right now!)

That's also Young Eagles morning, I've been told. They have over 50 kids signed up to fly.

That's also Young Eagles morning, I've been told. They have over 50 kids signed up to fly.

53 at last count. I'm supposed to fly that morning but if the cherokee is in the shop (still dealing with that high CHT on the cylinder) then I'll probably drive up to Leadville.

Going to be out of town and about 10,000' lower that day!

53 at last count. I'm supposed to fly that morning but if the cherokee is in the shop (still dealing with that high CHT on the cylinder) then I'll probably drive up to Leadville.

I am guessing that is not a normally aspirated 140? :yikes:

BTDT with the Tiger, and have the certificate. It is worth another landing there though.

I am guessing that is not a normally aspirated 140? :yikes:

You're right. It's not a 140, but a normally aspirated 180 hp cherokee. I've never had problems flying to Leadville. However, after the overhaul, the #3 cylinder is running very hot in climb. Shop is borescoping it tomorrow (thurs) to see
if there are problems with the rings or something.

Planning on attending. The aspens are turning right now, this weekend should be close to peak colors. Should be a great flight. Probably going to bring one of our greyhounds for his first flight. He does great in the car, so I am sure he will be fine in the plane.

You're right. It's not a 140, but a normally aspirated 180 hp cherokee. I've never had problems flying to Leadville. However, after the overhaul, the #3 cylinder is running very hot in climb. Shop is borescoping it tomorrow (thurs) to see
if there are problems with the rings or something.

Which shop???

Which shop???

It's becoming a group project. Ron, Bill, Sonny, one of the guys from the new shop (Exec) and possibly Mark (the United maintenance chief at DIA). Bill spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the folks at Western Skyways yesterday, and everyone is baffled (sorry about the pun). There are multiple symptoms and none fit with the others. Personally, I really hope there's a problem with the cylinder because it's under warranty.

Depending on what happens, I may take it over to Western Skyways (Montrose) next week and leave it for a few days.

Of course the solution may be to disconnect the engine monitor so I don't see the alarms...ignorance can be bliss.

It's becoming a group project. Ron, Bill, Sonny, one of the guys from the new shop (Exec) and possibly Mark (the United maintenance chief at DIA). Bill spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the folks at Western Skyways yesterday, and everyone is baffled (sorry about the pun). There are multiple symptoms and none fit with the others. Personally, I really hope there's a problem with the cylinder because it's under warranty.

Depending on what happens, I may take it over to Western Skyways (Montrose) next week and leave it for a few days.

Of course the solution may be to disconnect the engine monitor so I don't see the alarms...ignorance can be bliss.

If need be, I can probably make a run over to Montrose on a Saturday or Sunday. Having a ride over or back can be a big help on these things.

Back