KBOI

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
We're flying to a conference in Coeur d'Alene. The plan is to go direct from Denver to Boise and stop, most likely for overnight.

Suggestions for the evening?

We're flying to a conference in Coeur d'Alene. The plan is to go direct from Denver to Boise and stop, most likely for overnight.

Suggestions for the evening?

Which airport? Plenty of choices. My persinak favorite is Boulder, nice hotel downtown. Good food, too. College town.

via Tapatalk

Which airport? Plenty of choices. My persinak favorite is Boulder, nice hotel downtown. Good food, too. College town.
Hmmm... Mark lives in Denver. I think he wanted to know about activities in Boise.

I lived in Boise for a while but it was a long time ago. The only thing that I can remember is that there was a nice greenbelt along the Boise River which runs through town. People float down the river in the summer.

Thanks Mari. I've heard about the river and understand that there may be some nice restaurants along there. I need to find out more about it.

The interesting thing was choices of airports. I had some recommendations for the two smaller fields west of Boise, but the best combination of service and fuel price was actually at Western Air at KBOI!

Duh. I knew that. Guilty of posting without thinking.

There are a couple of pretty good restaurants downtown Boise, including a brewpub. Not been overly impressed with KBOI (the airport) though YMMV.

via Tapatalk

Bill,

There are a number of FBOs at KBOI. Western has been very, very responsive to my emails - which is one of my top considerations in gauging the kind of service I can expect.

That's the only one I tried at KBOI but I've had zero response from those at other airports in the area - which also tells me a lot about the kind of service I can expect.

Now we'll see what happens when I actually go there :)

Bill,

There are a number of FBOs at KBOI. Western has been very, very responsive to my emails - which is one of my top considerations in gauging the kind of service I can expect.

That's the only one I tried at KBOI but I've had zero response from those at other airports in the area - which also tells me a lot about the kind of service I can expect.

KBOI is actually the most convenient to the town by far. We were based there, although not at an FBO per se, and like I mentioned it was a long time ago (1985-86). We were on the south side of the airport near the Idaho Guard. It was fun to see all the F-4s which I'm sure have been replaced by something else.

The Grove Hotel is a very nice place to stay and is strategically located between the greenbelt and downtown. I definitely recommend it if it is within your budget. Plenty of nice places to eat right there or you can walk to the Main St/Capitol Blvd area for more restaurants, the other way is the river and greenbelt trail at Julia Davis park with the art museum and I even think the zoo is there. Only flown commercial into Boise but for the size the airport is pretty busy what with it being national headquarters for both Forest Service and Interior fire aviation operations and the NG base.

Last edited:
Bill,

Mark, I used someone else (I think it was Boise Air Terminal, may be a different name now). Please let us know how Jackson works out.

Two mistakes in one thread. Glad I wasn't flying today.

Sorry......

via Tapatalk

KBOI is actually the most convenient to the town by far. We were based there, although not at an FBO per se, and like I mentioned it was a long time ago (1985-86). We were on the south side of the airport near the Idaho Guard. It was fun to see all the F-4s which I'm sure have been replaced by something else.

I flew in to Boise aroung 2000. About 20 miles out they told us to maintain best forward speed. Then about 10 miles out they asked again. We were full throttle and descending (which means we were probably doing like 175 mph). Finally, right as I was flaring, a flight of 4 A-10s flew over the top of us and did the military overhead pattern. It was super awesome, and somehow I didn't wreck. :rolleyes:

Edit: I don't remember what we ate.

Our trip was great (sorry, we didn't take a bunch of photos). But the promised PIREP on Western Aircraft. I posted this on AirNav but don't know how long it takes for the comments area to get updated:

==============================
We were travelling from the Denver area to Coeur D'Alene for a conference and decided that it would be a good opportunity to visit Boise. Other than pre-arrangements for a car rental, we left it all up to Western Aircraft.

Here's a brief summary:

Pre-trip contact. I like to do this by email. So many FBOs have email addresses but don't respond. These folks did. Shae, who works the desk is fabulous, both online and in person.

Fuel: $1.00 AirBoss discount plus 10¢ AOPA discount.

Hotel: After I told them we had never been to Boise before, recommended the Grove Hotel for proximity to downtown restaurants (very nice Hotel and a very good corporate rate) and told us to skip the car unless we planned to travel around.

Restaurants: Recommended a few of the many good and fun restaurants in the downtown area.

Their recommendations were spot on in very respect and the service was top notch. I can't imagine flying into Boise and =not= using Western Aircraft.
==============================

Back