Just how mild has your winter been?

Bulbs sprouting in the yard. About 2months early.

2nd warmest winter on record, only 24" of snow so far, normal snowfall at this point is 70"

Only one big dump really.
There was that one before Christmas too, the one where you had to dig your airplane out, which seemed to take a long time to melt even with fairly warm temperatures. It seems like I've had to drive to or from the airport quite a few times this year in less than favorable weather. I will agree that we haven't had the cold snap we usually get with a week of temperatures below 0F.

That's how I feel... although I'm ok with skipping it this year (selfishly speaking).

Tracey's not too far south of me. Here in Georgetown, 45sm north of Portland, we had that surprise snow storm just prior to Halloween(unusual). Since then we've had several 2"-3" nuisance storms, often followed by rain. Today it's 39° and the only snow on the ground is where the sun doesn't hit sufficiently, during prolonged 20°-25° days, to melt the basic ground cover. In the area not protected by the trees on this hill I could go out and rake leaves if there were any still there. I'd not been skiing once until Sunday, when we went to KING PINE, just across the NH border. Also, though the sand and plow guy has done several maintenance runs on this hill thus far, I've yet to receive the first invoice for my portion of the costs billed to the HMA. Very unusual winter!

* King Pine Ski Area, Madison, NH; really good, family-run resort area.
** One of the Inn buildings/restaurant-pub.
*** Pond across from the Inn; don't know what's on the little float during
summer months, but the polar bears are cute.
**** Dining room is on the right side of the entrance to #2; this little pub
on the left side. Part of Purity Spring Resorts, the development going
back 100 years.

Side note to Tracey: if you get into the KIWI area the price of 100LL was just lowered by 50 cents.

HR

Attachments

• DSC00667.JPG
    DSC00667.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC00673 (1).JPG
    DSC00673 (1).JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC00677 (1).JPG
    DSC00677 (1).JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC00676.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
We got snow on Halloween, actually it may have been the day before. I had just finished mowing the lawn. Little bit different than when I lived in Denver and actually mowed the lawn IN THE SNOW. :)

Then I played golf that day, and later went skiing. :D

Yeah, our weather has been "weird" this year, but not exactly mild. Seems consistently colder for longer, but it's not REALLY cold. It keeps the small amount of snow we've gotten around... (There's still a solid 18-20" in my yard, and if it doesn't melt until Spring, I can't put a ladder up to get the Christmas lights down, so they're just going to stay up there... haha.)

Mountains are dry. Arapahoe Basin ski area still has less than 50% of their runs open. A few luckier areas are 100% open, and no rocks showing or anything -- but not a great ski year. There have been good specific days, though... according to family and friends who still go up. I haven't been up skiing in a long time... too much money for too little return.

trees are budding and plants are popping out of the ground here. worked in the garage all afternoon yesterday in t-shirt with the doors open. was beautiful.

Warm Spring wx here too. Didn't even put on a coat this morning. Freakishly warm for February.

Warm Spring wx here too. Didn't even put on a coat this morning. Freakishly warm for February.

stop that! Open the windows and turn up the thermostats. Use more natural gas

It's a frigid 56 right now with a chance of 0.5" of rain sometime today or this week.

Daffys in my neighborhood have been out since the end of last week. I observed them being out in bloom near my mother's house last weekend.

My worry is all the plants will start budding and then we'll have a hard freeze. It has happened here before and recently. Not good at all for the flora.

It was nasty cold out at the airport this morning. OK it was only -2C but the wind was 30 gusting to 40. My yard is still white.

Well, February 27 and I was out in this Maine "winter," raking leaves that I didn't get finished back in November. I'll do more today. Snow is predicted for Wednesday/Thursday, so maybe I'll get to go skiing on Friday.

HR

Crazy warm here!

Thanksgiving the A/C kicked on, Christmas was warm enough to be on the balcony with a sweatshirt. Since New Years our A/C has already turned on a number of times, last night included. Two days last week it was actually warm and humid.

Originally from the North, this is my second winter living in the South, and I'm definitely not used to it. I'm not in great anticipation of the summer humidity that seems to be fast approaching!

It has been bad here in mid Michigan... I have been trying to get lime spread on the Dice Road farm since last fall... Between rain making mud after the corn was combined last fall and lack of the ground freezing all winter, we have not been able to do so... The lime is critical for adjusting the pH of the fields... It was 20 last night and we have a skim of frozen ground (frozen mud actually) so they are delivering 100 tons of lime today (in about an hour before the ground thaws too much) to pile on the edge of the field in a grassy area that will support the semi trucks.. We need about 3 nights of temps in the 20's so the field surface will be strong enough to support the big spreader trucks (Terragators) crossing the fields...
Mildest winter in my memory...

denny-o

It has been bad here in mid Michigan...

A bit farther North it's the same story. I've got a house and family in Rogers City (North of Alpena). My tenant told me he only plowed snow a handful of times, and the mild winter has been affecting everything from farming, maple syrup, ice fishing, and snowmobiling.

On the other hand, I heard the fleets that don't go through the locks laid up late this season, which gave the quarries some extra working time.

Been kinda mild winter here in Jackson Hole Wy..

Snow pack is about 1/4 of normal.....

That surely helps the wildlife... like this momma moose and her yearling that's laying about 7 feet from my front door this morning.

Attachments

• Momma moose 001.jpg
    Momma moose 001.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Momma moose 002.jpg
    Momma moose 002.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Momma moose 004.jpg
    Momma moose 004.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Momma moose 005.jpg
    Momma moose 005.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 8
Apparently it isn't over, we have crocus out, but snow on the way.

I wouldn't call it a mild winter around here. 4 days without power after snow and ice storm last month. 3rd longest outage we've had in the 16 years we've lived in that house.

Now, we are behind normal on rainfall since October 1.

Its been fairly mild. I took this photo on 2/28/12

Attachments

• HLR_8645-2.JPG
    HLR_8645-2.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 12
If you are missing winter you need to be here. The plow got off the runway so we could land. At least it isn't windy...

KPNA 011355Z AUTO 28004KT 10SM CLR M27/M30 A2977 RMK AO2 T12701297 TSNO

70 and sunshine today in DC for this, the first day of meterological spring.

After what had looked like a promising start to winter, Albuquerque (and most of NM) has been relatively dry and sunny for most of the season. Today we're expecting 50 mph winds and mid-fifties temperatures - weather that's pretty common for late-March, but not earlier.

I love the temperatures, but we need the moisture. That's what you get for living in the high desert.

Last edited:
If you are missing winter you need to be here. The plow got off the runway so we could land. At least it isn't windy...

Looks like the anemometer is broken...

RWL was just a touch breezy yesterday morning. Glad I was driving the Explorer and not the Frankenkota. Might have needed a wingwalker to get to the runway.

Last edited:
Looks like the anemometer is broken...

RWL was just a touch breezy yesterday morning. Glad I was driving the Explorer and not the Frankenkota. Might have needed a wingwalker to get to the runway.
For some reason this is one of the more "sheltered" parts of Wyoming. :rofl:

One interesting phenomenon happens when they plow and the wind is calm. The snow is so dry that it hangs in the air and fools the visibility meter.

KPNA 011635Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M20/M22 A2977 RMK AO2 T11961219
KPNA 011615Z AUTO 00000KT 7SM CLR M20/M22 A2977 RMK AO2 T12011225
KPNA 011555Z AUTO 00000KT 5SM BR CLR M21/M24 A2978 RMK AO2 T12151239
KPNA 011535Z AUTO 00000KT 7SM CLR M23/M25 A2979 RMK AO2 T12291255
KPNA 011515Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M24/M27 A2979 RMK AO2 T12441268
KPNA 011455Z AUTO 24003KT 1/4SM -SN VV002 M26/M29 A2979 RMK AO2 T12621291
KPNA 011435Z AUTO 32003KT 1SM HZ VV007 M27/M30 A2978 RMK AO2 T12701299 TSNO
KPNA 011415Z AUTO 00000KT 1 1/4SM BR VV007 M26/M28 A2977 RMK AO2 T12591284 TSNO

The visibility has really been 100 miles all morning. The forecast must be automated too because it reflects the supposed reduced visibility. They don't realize it's because of the snowplow!

KPNA 011451Z 0115/0212 30005KT P6SM SCT045
TEMPO 0115/0116 1SM BR BKN005
FM011600 VRB05KT P6SM VCSH SCT025 BKN040
FM012000 28012KT 4SM -SHSN SCT015 BKN025
FM020200 30009KT P6SM VCSH BKN050
FM021000 30010G15KT P6SM FEW050 SCT150 LTD TO CLD VIS AND WIND

And then the schools had a two hour late start this morning as it snowed last night. Not that there was anything on the roads when I drove to work today, but with the way it was snowing last night we weren't surprised when the phone range just after 5 am for the robocall to let my wife (a teacher) know about the late start.

It is SO nice outside today. 70+, and sunny. Even the Hyacinths are starting to bloom. Way early.

Gorgeous in Demver today too, with a least two more days of gorgeous on its heels.

low 70s and sunny today... but worse is coming for Tuesday.
Sad thing is.. everytime we get these warnings... the mid west gets hit hard.. Batten down the hatches Tony.

... HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAS VEGAS HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WATCH FOR SOUTHERN NEVADA... NORTHWEST ARIZONA AND SOUTHEAST CALIFORNIA... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS: SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 60 TO 70 MPH AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT EARLY TUESDAY. WINDS WILL BECOME NORTHERLY BEHIND THE COLD FRONT AS IT MOVES SOUTH THROUGH THE AREA FROM LATE TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING. NORTHERLY WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 60 TO 70 MPH WILL THEN BE POSSIBLE AREA WIDE TUESDAY NIGHT.

Gorgeous in Demver today too, with a least two more days of gorgeous on its heels.

Yea. Depths of winter and I'm outside in summer clothes and it's hot and I have all the windows open until just before sunset. I'm going to have to go further north to get winter next year.

Steamboat got it all. Six feet in two weeks I heard?

Dad picked the perfect week to go. Saturday he calls saying no snow, other things to do other than ski...

Tuesday of that week (same day as the crash up there) he texts saying best powder skiing of his life.

Friends posting on FB over the weekend having a great time snowboarding up there. (I know. They're messed up people. They snowboard. Poor lost souls. ;) )

Looks like KSBS is the place to be.

Just heard a racket from a bunch of Coyote pups who probably just killed one of the multitude of neighborhood rabbits down in the creek bed along the greenway.

The usual yapping and howling and carrying on. The rabbits in my backyard were visibly agitated and spooked.

They'd moved up close to the house and away from their usual hiding spots back behind the garage in the dark back corner near the remnants of the old wood pile.

Little early for that. We usually don't hear that at night, until a little later in the Springtime.

Back