Jobs for pilots with few hours but quality training?

tankdriver88

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tankdriver88
Recently completed USAF pilot training and KC-135 Qual. I'm a reservist at McConnell AFB, Wichita KS. I have my PPL, Commercial, Single and Multi Engine Land, and Instrument ratings (as well as BE-400, MU-300 and B707).
The problem is, I currently have only 275 hours total, 22 PIC.
I want to go to the airlines one day and am looking to quickly build time.
At this point I am just looking for a way to build hours in addition to flying with the reserves. I don't have enough hours for a restricted ATP so regionals are out of the question for now.
I'd prefer to fly as a copilot somewhere and not go through the whole CFI/CFII routine.
Any suggestions for flying jobs for a guy with high quality training but limited hours would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

How on earth do you only have 22hrs PIC??

I'm not sure you're employable, maybe get your CFI and try that.

Frankly 275hrs with only 22 PIC would cause much concern IMHO.

How on earth do you only have 22hrs PIC??

I'm not sure you're employable, maybe get your CFI and try that.

Frankly 275hrs with only 22 PIC would cause much concern IMHO.

Military logs PIC (designated position) differently than FAA definitions. I had over 400 hrs with no PIC time. Could have logged PIC in a seperate civ log but never did.

In which case he should go over his logs and audit them for FAA times, 22PIC would round file your resume at a few places.

Also outside of CFIing 500tt is the magic number.

In which case he should go over his logs and audit them for FAA times, 22PIC would round file your resume at a few places.

Also outside of CFIing 500tt is the magic number.

I agree. Almost all my friends in the Army had two log books. Civ logbook had far more PIC and probably 10 % more total time because of the differences in logging.

Try getting a CFI ,or look for a right seat position with a 135 charter operation.

He's a brand spanking new LT just got done with the tanker B-course. This surely must be trolling, the OP must know that troughing in his unit is the best way to build up quality time and get paid in the process. In addition, being in the Reserves is the most efficient way for a mil pilot to network his way into a major airline.

Whore yourself out at the unit if the airlines is your goal. I don't know what the upgrade situation is at your particular unit, but with perseverance you'd be minimally competitive for a major airline application in 4 years or so, assuming they don't hold your upgrade to AC back. Time to cut your teeth and pay your dues LT. Consider yourself lucky to have the Reserves as a means to develop a competitive application to a major airline. If you can't build time quickly in a tanker unit, you're doing the Reserves the wrong way brother. If you were a fighter guy you'd have reason for concern, but as a heavy guy, and a tanker guy at that, you'd have no excuse in this economy (read: while all those above you are getting hired and leaving you a healthy pot of flying and money at the unit.)

Good luck.

Yeah... what hindsight said.

Plenty of 135 operations looking for good people. You might be a little light on hours right now.

Hi there ...keep looking ...but most airlines required min1500 hrs so fly 4 a while

There was an article in the paper about a local pilot that gained time by renting a 152 and flying in circles as much as she could. But I don't recommend that because the article was about how killed herself by flying VFR into serious IFR conditions off the coast.
She had ppl, ifr, CP and I believe ATP ratings. I don't think she had CFI, but she sure had a lot of ratings for a low time pilot. And it (low time) showed.

There was an article in the paper about a local pilot that gained time by renting a 152 and flying in circles as much as she could. But I don't recommend that because the article was about how killed herself by flying VFR into serious IFR conditions off the coast.
She had ppl, ifr, CP and I believe ATP ratings. I don't think she had CFI, but she sure had a lot of ratings for a low time pilot. And it (low time) showed.

You can have 100 hours of experience, or you can have one hour of experience 100 times.

guard bum....and bum....and bum.....like everyone else till you get the hours.

guard bum....and bum....and bum.....like everyone else till you get the hours.

Yeah I don't know he wouldn't do this. Best way to network too as far as getting on with the airlines as most of the guard/reserve pilots fly for the airlines. Best kept secret (almost:rofl:) out there. After bumming for awhile and acquiring some hours then he might find something, but probably be marketable to the regionals by then too, if they're still around.

Back