J-3 Cub - Chicago shoreline to Oshkosh - missing Meigs

Rick Rademacher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rick Rademacher
I was leading a flight of three J-3 Cubs flying to Oshkosh. Because the weather was good, we decided to take the quick and smooth route around Chicago from Ohio. A slight headwind did slow us down a bit. The Meigs part of the flight starts at 6 min into video. We were over water for some 50 plus minutes. It was a great way to spend the day!

https://vimeo.com/47426713

Nice Video, I like the way you sped up and slowed it down. I'm a big fan of Vimeo! It does make me steamed when ever I see Meigs.

Hah! So that was you =D My family and I watched three cubs fly overhead (near KUGN) one of the days. Good times.

Nice Video, I like the way you sped up and slowed it down. I'm a big fan of Vimeo! It does make me steamed when ever I see Meigs.

Wouldn't it be convenient to declare an emergency while flying the skyline while nearing solider field? I mean, you wouldn't want to turn towards the buildings, and clearly the water isn't an option...

you'll have to come up with something better than "its running a teensy bit rough" they don't go for that one anymore..

you'll have to come up with something better than "its running a teensy bit rough" they don't go for that one anymore..

The engine just quit. Maybe it was carb ice. It seems fine now. (This doesn't work if you need to add power to avoid landing short of the 'runway')

Great video! Looked like a perfect day for the flight with a slight onshore breeze.

Flew the Chicago Air and Water Show off North Beach a couple of years. Meigs was still there then. We parked at an airfield north of Chicago, old Navy base, and ferried to Meigs on Nat Guard Helo's. Our jet would not fit at Miegs with the other airshow participants.

Back