It's OSHKOSH

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Anybody feel like tweaking the Winnebago Mafia's nose and asking the Administrators of this Board to rename this section "Oshkosh"?

That's what we called it for nearly 20 years until they figured out that they can't trademark "Oshkosh" but they could trademark "Airventure" so nobody else could use or get a royalty on using the name.

Oshkosh it is, and so far as I'm concerned, Oshkosh it stays.

Jim

Nobody calls it airventure other than the mafia. To everybody else outside Wisconsin, it's Oshkosh. If you're inside Wisconsin, you call it "The EAA."

Attended for the first time in 2007 and have always referred to the event as "Oshkosh" too. I noticed early on that the locals there called it EAA and always thought that was odd.

Attended for the first time in 2007 and have always referred to the event as "Oshkosh" too. I noticed early on that the locals there called it EAA and always thought that was odd.

Not that odd if you think about it. I wouldn't call an event here, "Denver". ;)

Never have liked "Airventure". Too Madison Ave to me, too slick. It's "Oshkosh" by gosh! :D

Nobody calls it airventure other than the mafia. To everybody else outside Wisconsin, it's Oshkosh. If you're inside Wisconsin, you call it "The EAA."

Ick. No you don't. Maybe if you're inside the city limits... Most of us Wisconsinites just call it "Oshkosh" too. And we infer from context whether we mean Oshkosh the city, Oshkosh the airport, or Oshkosh the event. :D

I don't care what y'all call it. I call it "heaven"...
:)

Make some room, Jay. I can't make it this year, but I'll be there in 2015, for damned sure. Probably not in my own airplane - I'll likely jumpseat to Green Bay and drive, but I'll be there one way or the other.

It's been 20 years since I've soloed, and I still haven't been to OSHKOSH. I feel shame. ;)

Actually those outside Wisconsin at least those in PA just call it OSH we usually do away with the "Kosh" as being not necessary.

It's always been Oshkosh or OSH to me , and I'm sticking with it. It's the experience not the name.

Make some room, Jay. I can't make it this year, but I'll be there in 2015, for damned sure. Probably not in my own airplane - I'll likely jumpseat to Green Bay and drive, but I'll be there one way or the other.

It's been 20 years since I've soloed, and I still haven't been to OSHKOSH. I feel shame. ;)
I'm always surprised when I meet pilots who have flown for decades, and have never been to Oshkosh.

To me, that's like owning a motorcycle, and never seeing Sturgis. Or living in Texas, and never going to Luckenbach. Or being German-American, and never going to Oktoberfest.

You need to come to OSH!

Ick. No you don't. Maybe if you're inside the city limits... Most of us Wisconsinites just call it "Oshkosh" too. And we infer from context whether we mean Oshkosh the city, Oshkosh the airport, or Oshkosh the event. :D

Sorry Kent. My family in the immediate area (Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, Winneconne, Omro, Iola, etc.) call it "EAA." Remember, they have other major festivals in the area like Country USA.

I drove by yesterday to deliver a mid-sized lawn/garden tractor to a relative up North.

The grounds looked great from 141, many fresh porta-potties in position. I see some early birds and volunteers are set up and on duty, thanks. See you in a few days.

Sorry Kent. My family in the immediate area (Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, Winneconne, Omro, Iola, etc.) call it "EAA." Remember, they have other major festivals in the area like Country USA.

Yup - Again, those in the immediate area, especially who are non-pilots.

I'll have to ask Wayne D (who lives adjacent to the field and has a through-the-fence arrangement) what he calls it. ;)

We flew the arrival last Friday, Rock USA was in full swing across the highway from KOSH. :)

I'm always surprised when I meet pilots who have flown for decades, and have never been to Oshkosh.

To me, that's like owning a motorcycle, and never seeing Sturgis.

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?

Sturgis!

Never been there and I've been riding bikes longer than most.

Why wasn't Christ born in Milwaukee?

Because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

Never been there and I've been riding bikes longer than most.

Why wasn't Christ born in Milwaukee?

Because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

I can't wait to tell my born and raised Milwaukee wife that joke when I get home.

My A&P has a high school student working there for the summer. We tried to explain Oshkosh/Airventure to him. His description:

Oshkosh - Comic-con for airplane pilots.

My A&P has a high school student working there for the summer. We tried to explain Oshkosh/Airventure to him. His description:

Oshkosh - Comic-con for airplane pilots.

Nope. Oshkosh came first! (barely)

Comic-con - Oshkosh for for comic book nerds.

:):):)

Back