It sold for how much?!??!!

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Working the salvage auction today to acquire inventory... A 2014 Rolls Royce Wraith came across the block with damage to the left side. Check the image attached for the sale price.

But considering the original sticker price, I guess someone got an acceptable deal.

I'm just used to buying vehicles at an average of cost before fees/transport of $1300-1600 a unit. My focus is 2002-2015 model years with an emphasis on trucks/suv's

Attachments

• Rolls Wraith 140k.png
    Rolls Wraith 140k.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 241
How much to fix it, and how much will it sell for with damage history?

And does it come with A/C? :lol:

I dunno, you could buy a low-end Cirrus for that price tag, would get you places faster too :)

Must have some history,making it worth the high dollar.

Must have some history,making it worth the high dollar.

More due to the original sticker price. Winning bid was ~45% of sticker. That ratio for a low mile less than 3yr old vehicle is not uncommon at the salvage auctions.

I did a bit of searching to see if anyone in my networks is actively parting one out and what they are selling the parts for. But no joy. So difficult for me to figure if the $140k spent was a rebuilder (more likely) or a recycler.

It's a tough car to have for a recycler... market for the parts is super narrow when compared to a known profit maker like an F150, Silverado, or Dodge Ram.

You gotta spend money to make money!
You could have bought it, repaired it, sold it and paid cash for a nice airplane with the profit! Quit being cheap :)

I see cars aren't any cheaper in Texas than they are in California. The worst parts is, I have to compete with my customers for my inventory!

Standard Auto Recycling
San Diego, Ca

Small pics in the screenshot, but looked like a pretty big hit. How much damage at the B pillar? Floorpan?
Surprised to see the insurer is State Farm - seems a bit above their average.
Yeah, limited market for that car in that condition.

I see cars aren't any cheaper in Texas than they are in California. The worst parts is, I have to compete with my customers for my inventory!

Standard Auto Recycling
San Diego, Ca

First post...

Welcome to POA..:cheers::cheers:.

Ps.... be nice to Mike Farlow.... He is a nice guy and fellow pilot..

Standard Auto Recycling
San Diego, Ca

Welcome!

Any chance we might have crossed paths at the ARA or URG conferences?

That could be rebuilt and someone would have a helluva nice car for $160k.....

It is funny, but in many ways, you are far better off to "restore" a 2015 than a 1955 car.

That could be rebuilt and someone would have a helluva nice car for $160k.....

It is funny, but in many ways, you are far better off to "restore" a 2015 than a 1955 car.

Wouldn't make sense to fix it really, not in the current market. Make way more money off the parts.

Sure..if some guy strolls in and says "I say old, chap...might you have a right rear fender for my 2014 Rolls? And some Grey Poupon?"

:D

Dude, down here, there's plenty of them things, and they get into accidents like anything else. There are literally thousands of cars down here in that price range, there are a few even higher as well.

He'll triple to quadruple his money in salvage.

But in what timeframe? The market for these parts (at least in Texas) is very small. Based on my experience, I don't even see the available major parts getting close to a break even. And unless you can turn your money more than 3 times a year, your no way profitable at that crazy high costs of goods.

Another item to introduce into evidence, while the high bid was $140,000, what we don't know is if the car met the reserve or not. Since it didn't get past 50% ACV, I'm going to say not.

But in what timeframe? The market for these parts (at least in Texas) is very small. Based on my experience, I don't even see the available major parts getting close to a break even. And unless you can turn your money more than 3 times a year, your no way profitable at that crazy high costs of goods.

Another item to introduce into evidence, while the high bid was $140,000, what we don't know is if the car met the reserve or not. Since it didn't get past 50% ACV, I'm going to say not.

I would bet he already has the parts sold to cover his bid. The Palm Beach ->South Beach market you have to behold to understand. Around here is where probably 3/4s of the built fleet lives, with Orlando having another good market.

Last edited:
I would bet he already has the parts sold to cover his bid. The Palm Beach ->South Beach market you have to behold to understand. Around here is where probably 3/4s of the built fleet lives, with Orlando having another good market.

I would hope he has some sales history to back his play for buying it. That or way deep pockets to afford the speculation.

I've gambled with "spec" purchase before, but too often it doesn't turn out well due to either very slow recovery of purchase cost + unit overhead, or doesn't perform at all like I thought and never breaks even and I wind up scrapping in order to regain the storage space. **

The flip side is when I purchase to fill known demand, and I don't overspend to acquire it, I can get a break even of 60-75 days.

** remember my "advertising" on PoA of the mid 80's Porsche? That's a good example. While I'm just $900 into the car including fees and transport, it has yet to sell more than half that in parts.

Last edited:
I would hope he has some sales history to back his play for buying it. That or way deep pockets to afford the speculation.

I've gambled with "spec" purchase before, but too often it doesn't turn out well due to either very slow recovery of purchase cost + unit overhead, or doesn't perform at all like I thought and never breaks even and I wind up scrapping in order to regain the storage space. **

The flip side is when I purchase to fill known demand, and I don't overspend to acquire it, I can get a break even of 60-75 days.

** remember my "advertising" on PoA of the mid 80's Porsche? That's a good example. While I'm just $900 into the car including fees and transport, it has yet to sell more than half that in parts.

A couple of the players in the exotics game down here are my yacht clients. They do pretty well. All the capital available in the world is represented down here in houses, condos, and yachts. In the winter this is the greatest global concentration of wealth there is. These cars are less than their crew budget for their yacht. One guy had me driving his spare Arnage as my crew car rather than the typical Hertz rental.

Dude, down here, there's plenty of them things, and they get into accidents like anything else. There are literally thousands of cars down here in that price range, there are a few even higher as well.
I have never seen more Bentleys than in South Florida.

I have never seen more Bentleys than in South Florida.

The other day I saw 3 Veyrons stacked at a light on Ocean Blvd. if you want to car watch some time, get a balcony room at one of the old Art Deco hotels on Ocean.

Dubai is actually starting to become a big market as well because of the quantity collectors. One of my guys is doing a fare bit of shipping that direction.

Maybe you should hire me to come spend your money and teach you how to sell stuff :)
As to your other post about 80's Porsche parts. You can buy those cars complete for nothing. You sure can't get rich parting them out.
That is like trying to make a high class living selling Geo Metro parts.

Maybe you should hire me to come spend your money and teach you how to sell stuff :)
As to your other post about 80's Porsche parts. You can buy those cars complete for nothing. You sure can't get rich parting them out.
That is like trying to make a high class living selling Geo Metro parts.

I am hiring for a commissioned salesperson. There will be a guaranteed starting salary for the first 90 days and then full commission after that. No upper earnings limit. If you earned a 5 figure commission in one month, I will happily write the check. Job is inside sales based at my Denton location. Long term employment desired.

Just wondering if a company like LKQ bought it. They have a big network and deals with insurance companies.

I am hiring for a commissioned salesperson. There will be a guaranteed starting salary for the first 90 days and then full commission after that. No upper earnings limit. If you earned a 5 figure commission in one month, I will happily write the check. Job is inside sales based at my Denton location. Long term employment desired.

We could sell airplane parts to :) And headsets

Just wondering if a company like LKQ bought it. They have a big network and deals with insurance companies.

Yes, they do. But no, they didn't buy it. I know their buyer number and that wasn't the one the auctioneer announced when he banged the gavel.

Back