Is the chute selling planes? And if so...

ailerons to correct from a spin? :eek:

Yes. The NASA cuffed wing design allows the ailerons to remain stall free and have full authority entering an inadvertent stall/spin. Normally and still true for Cirrus you use rudder to correct spin. But with the Cirrus you can still use the ailerons which for many may be the first impulse in spin entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_edge_cuff

Cirrus piston singles are standard category and placarded against intentional spins. They are difficult to spin inadvertently for the reasons being stated. They have a wing design that stalls the root first and keeps the airlerons stall free so they can be used to correct spins. The rudder can be used to recover from a spin as is true for other planes. The factory has tested the plane in spins but chose not to get spin certification in the USA.

People should be aware that there was a very significant wing design change when the SR22-G3 models were introduced. The stall and flight characteristics of the earlier models are not the same.

Are they better port worse? Mine is G1 and stalls are no less benign than in a 172

Are they better port worse? Mine is G1 and stalls are no less benign than in a 172

Of course the new wing is supposed to be "better"...but we'll probably have to take Cirrus' word for it, unless you are Robert Goyer. ;)

To be serious, they weren't trying to fix any serious deficiency apparently. Just making a good design handle better, and lighten the spar by going to carbon. But it was by far the biggest change/improvement at the G3 series change.

To my knowledge there has never been an in-flight breakup of a Cirrus airframe. That suggests there aren't any issues in any of the series.

Last edited:
Yes. The NASA cuffed wing design allows the ailerons to remain stall free and have full authority entering an inadvertent stall/spin. Normally and still true for Cirrus you use rudder to correct spin. But with the Cirrus you can still use the ailerons which for many may be the first impulse in spin entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_edge_cuff

Yep. All us spam can flyers just have washout to deal with that. Doesn't sound nearly as kinky as being "cuffed by NASA" in the marketing literature though... :D

Cessna has the ability to retro fit them on 182s and post 1974 172s
Certainly they could incorporate them int new factory models.

I would thing the disparity in the sales numbers would have other makes chomping at the BRS bit
Cessna did offer the BRS as an option on the 162 Skycatcher.

My personal opinion - in no particular order
1. Interior is a luxury automobile - other brands, not so much
2. Fast - fast is good, fast is sex, sex sells
3. Side controller - like Buck Rogers rocketship, there is no "joy stick" (or funny looking yoke) to give the POSSLQ bad vibes
4. Gee Whiz panel - others have one but not as integrated into the overall look
5. No' embarrass me' retracting wheels to forget
6. And Yeah, the chute

You have to look at their customer demographic to understand the rational of my list
1. Able to cough up a million bucks
2. YUPPIE
3. Appearances are everything
4. They fly because they can - not necessarily because they made model airplanes as a kid (like most of us)
5. It enhances their lifestyle - ski slopes in winter, beach in summer, Key West for birthdays, etc.
6. They can sell the chute to the POSSLQ - who knows he is not as invincible as he believes

So dislike, dismiss, or micturate in my list as you choose, it is what I see
The SR22 is the new fork tailed doctor killer
Today, with so many Cirrii out in the wild, Widespread acceptance and availability of parts/repair likely plays a big role, as well.

I got in a conversation with my boss who flies a G5 and we started talking about the data. I am all "Its fast, no gear to worry about, prop handles its self" He cuts me off and says "No, its the chute"

No gear to worry about? I think protecting that fragile castering nose wheel is a worry. Perhaps you meant that it is not retractable so you can skip that item on the GUMPS check.
Prop handles itself? Really? I want to go fast but I can't handle those pesky blue levers.

Last edited:
Cessna did offer the BRS as an option on the 162 Skycatcher.

Funny and tragic. A parachute on a Skycatcher? Why bother? Would have been better off putting cash in the glove box. Someone may have bought them.

Funny and tragic. A parachute on a Skycatcher? Why bother? Would have been better off putting cash in the glove box. Someone may have bought them.

If you put 300nm worth of gas in the tanks (after reserves) you're only left with 310lbs in the cabin. I can only imagine how much less that would be with the 'chute.

Back