Is Sunday traffic horrendous?

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
I am going to Oshkosh this year:D

I am trying to decide whether to fly in. It has been about 15 years since I last flew in, and it terrified my wife. I am planning to go on Sunday and will be staying at Green Bay.

I understand that the Waco gets to park in the vintage area even though it isn't. That would leave it in an easy to get to place (and hey, I am a vintage member)

Sunday will likely see high volumes of traffic. I would think a Waco would go in the antique section, but perhaps that's just me.

If a pax gets really upset I would consider internalizing your own anxiety as much as possible. They really cue off anything you are exuding. It's a normal flight, you fly the airplane; and you both watch for traffic. If there is traffic you respond accordingly and not excessively.

If a pax gets really upset I would consider internalizing your own anxiety as much as possible. They really cue off anything you are exuding. It's a normal flight, you fly the airplane; and you both watch for traffic. If there is traffic you respond accordingly and not excessively.

I have not flown in there yet (during AirVenture - but I flew to OSH last Saturday for a beautiful sunset flight), but I will some day. Fortunately I'm also close enough to drive. However, I spoke to a 10k hour CFII who said he has flown in to AirVenture for the last time, as he characterized it as formation flying with amateurs. It seems he was coming in from Fisk with folks who flew at whatever altitude they wanted, with little regard for the NOTAM.

I've been in there numerous times and had little trouble with anything. Yes, there were some jokers, but they were easily avoided. I recommend it to anyone.

But it is true, you can wind up flying in a loose formation with utter strangers. I don't know that there's been a midair at Oshkosh, so it sounds like its working. Lots of other accidents, though, some nasty.

It all kinda depends when you get there. I flew for the first time last year all the way from KMSN :). I got there on Thursday at 6pm, and there were hardly any people on the arrival. YMMV

It all kinda depends when you get there. I flew for the first time last year all the way from KMSN :). I got there on Thursday at 6pm, and there were hardly any people on the arrival. YMMV

I hoped you stocked a cooler for that long flight! :smile:

I never thought about coming in the evening - I would imagine you were going against traffic with some departing day-trippers. Did you stay overnight then?

I hoped you stocked a cooler for that long flight! :smile:

I never thought about coming in the evening - I would imagine you were going against traffic with some departing day-trippers. Did you stay overnight then?

Ended up camping through Sunday morning. Turned out to be a ton of fun I did pack a bottle of Crown Royal for Friday night though :D

...and you both watch for traffic. If there is traffic you respond accordingly and not excessively.

The anxiety producer was the request to help me look for other airplanes. Her solution to flying is to read a book.

If I decide to do it, I may take her somewhere else to pick up the rental car and then come pick me up.

I am trying to decide whether to fly in. It has been about 15 years since I last flew in, and it terrified my wife. I am planning to go on Sunday and will be staying at Green Bay.

I understand that the Waco gets to park in the vintage area even though it isn't. That would leave it in an easy to get to place (and hey, I am a vintage member)

What I know is, Sunday afternoon is NOT the time to go in if you wanna miss some of the traffic. Both years we've gone at that time there we tons of airplanes coming in all at once from every direction. The last 2 years we've lived a 3 1/2 drive from Osh so since then I drive and Greg flies the plane up Sunday morning. He can tell you what its like going in then.

I have attended OSH the last 29 years. The last 8 years, I have led a flight in on the Sunday before OSH, starting from our aviation themed hotel in Iowa City, IA, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites.

We always aim to depart KIOW at 10 AM. This puts us over Ripon at about 11:30 AM, give or take. We're then on the ground in the North 40 by noon, usually parked/camped right across from the Hardee's restaurant. (This is our favorite location, as it is close to all the good off-site restaurants, including LeSeur's, Friar Tuck's, and the Charcoal Pit. It also is the best place for watching arrivals and departures -- the REAL airshow at OSH. :wink2:)

The approach can be interesting and intense, but it's never been scary. If you can maintain speed and altitude, it's simply "follow the leader".

Main thing: READ THE NOTAM. It is very detailed, and very well done. Too often, it seems, pilots DON'T read it, or have only a passing knowledge of the procedures that they may be required to follow. Pay special attention to radio frequencies, possible holding patterns, and landing patterns.

The only thing I would not do again is to try and come in after the airshow during the week. I did that once and found it quite unpleasant.

After getting in and tied down, I went out with some other pilots who had similarly just come in. Over beers and salads we discussed how dangerous our recent approaches had been, and the rather large potential for disaster. One of the guys then said: "but it sure was fun!"

No midairs that time either. Just a bigger pucker factor. I hope my little anecdote wasn't a repost.

The only thing I would not do again is to try and come in after the airshow during the week. I did that once and found it quite unpleasant.

After getting in and tied down, I went out with some other pilots who had similarly just come in. Over beers and salads we discussed how dangerous our recent approaches had been, and the rather large potential for disaster. One of the guys then said: "but it sure was fun!"

No midairs that time either. Just a bigger pucker factor. I hope my little anecdote wasn't a repost.

The only problem with your anecdote was ... beers and salads?? :crazy: You were in Wisconsin, my friend! Beers and brats? Check. Beers and cheese? Check. Beers and salads? Was there a RAIM outage or something? :D

The only problem with your anecdote was ... beers and salads?? :crazy: You were in Wisconsin, my friend! Beers and brats? Check. Beers and cheese? Check. Beers and salads? Was there a RAIM outage or something? :D

Salad was dinner for me. Not a lot for a vegetarian to eat in Wisconsin. The other fellows had outsized portions of dead mammaloid.

I've flown in twice with no real problems. The only phase of the approach that gets my attention is the form-up over Ripon. Seems to me that the Notam could suggest a left hand pattern around the city that you could enter from any direction. Sort of like a round-a-bout. Once you get to the northeast side of town, where the "portal" is along the railroad tracks, you make your move toward Fisk.

Just seems a bit hairy having several airplanes arriving at the same point at the same time from varying directions.

As has been noted, however, I cannot recall any midairs, so the system works so far.

Except when Leslie makes a vegetarian chili with you specifically in mind! :)

True enough, and it is my hope to someday reciprocate. Leslie is an outstanding cook in my opinion.

I was somewhat more referring to the grounds and surroundings, which can be a challenge for those of us not keen on animal flesh.

I've flown in twice with no real problems. The only phase of the approach that gets my attention is the form-up over Ripon. Seems to me that the Notam could suggest a left hand pattern around the city that you could enter from any direction. Sort of like a round-a-bout. Once you get to the northeast side of town, where the "portal" is along the railroad tracks, you make your move toward Fisk.

Just seems a bit hairy having several airplanes arriving at the same point at the same time from varying directions.

As has been noted, however, I cannot recall any midairs, so the system works so far.

It *is* amazing, especially now, with GPS. When you see hundreds of planes, all converging on a point the size of a small swimming pool, it does increase the pucker factor.

However, it always works. You converge, and -- seemingly at the last moment -- one of you gives way, and the other falls into trail. People who do "real" formation flight probably find it amusing that we get uptight over distances of over a quarter mile, but it sure *feels* close, when you're not used to it.

What time are you planning on flying in? My dad and I are flying up from KC late morning, early afternoon. He is a 17,000 + hour pilot and has flown into Osh Kosh about 25 times. Always good to have someone like that in the cockpit helping out giving you tips. Be happy to meet up somewhere.

Really gets going about 20 minutes into the video, approaching RIPON.

Last edited:

If you're staying in Green Bay, why not fly to Green Bay? If nothing else, do what you were saying before, fly your wife to GRB to pick up a car and have her drive to OSH and meet you.

Sunday afternoon is busy, but Sunday evening is generally pretty calm. Lately I've taken to flying in after 6 PM on Sunday, which puts me north of 9/27 and just east of the Hilton.

[/quote]I understand that the Waco gets to park in the vintage area even though it isn't. That would leave it in an easy to get to place (and hey, I am a vintage member)[/QUOTE]

Vintage, this year, is defined as anything manufactured prior to 1971. It will not be long before ol' 71G (a 1971 model) can go in the Vintage area. Sigh.

GREAT advice for any pilot flying with a nervous or less-experienced flyer. Avoid saying things like "Oh crap" when you just forgot to turn the transponder on, for example. :D

However, I spoke to a 10k hour CFII who said he has flown in to AirVenture for the last time, as he characterized it as formation flying with amateurs. It seems he was coming in from Fisk with folks who flew at whatever altitude they wanted, with little regard for the NOTAM.

That's pretty rare. It happens, but for the most part people do OK, and the controllers are excellent at dealing with the few who don't.

I've been in there numerous times and had little trouble with anything. Yes, there were some jokers, but they were easily avoided. I recommend it to anyone.

What he said.

I never thought about coming in the evening - I would imagine you were going against traffic with some departing day-trippers.

The real thing to watch out for when there's a lot of departures going on is if they're landing and departing on runway 27. Too many people ignore the altitude restriction on departure (500 AGL/1300 MSL until clear of the class D), and they'll be flying right up through the arrivals coming down the railroad tracks to enter the right pattern and land on 27 (who are at 1000 AGL/1800 MSL). Keep your eyes open and watch for that specific error.

I was somewhat more referring to the grounds and surroundings, which can be a challenge for those of us not keen on animal flesh.

Just saw a press release from EAA a couple of years ago that they're working on having more food options at the show, including things for vegetarians.

Someone find a radar track of the arrival, Fri afternoon.

It would just be a big blob - Primary targets only, as the OSH arrival is transponders-off within 30nm to avoid overwhelming the ATC radar. I would imagine they probably filter primary targets out as well. Sure would be interesting to see, though.

Really gets going about 20 minutes into the video, approaching RIPON.

FWIW, that was recorded on Friday of the show, somewhere around 11 AM ± 1 hr.

Back