Is it even possible given my medical history?

S

skyward

Trigger Warning: depression and mental health issues and suicide/self-harm discussion.

Hi all - posting anonymously because of the sensitive info contained here. But basically the title, I've had a lifelong dream (I'm in my 20's) of becoming a pilot. While I'm almost certain I could never be a career pilot given these conditions, I'm wondering if even a third class medical is possible. Here is a summary of my issues:

1 - Glaucoma, one eye - It's very rare to have glaucoma at my age, and I know this alone is enough to cause the AME to have to defer the medical. With this I'm not as concerned because while I have some visual field loss in the lower left part of my eye, I had surgery 12 years ago which has kept my ocular pressure stable since and I have not had any complications since. I am not taking any medications as the surgery alone was able to stabilize the condition.

2 - ADHD/Depression/Generalized Anxiety Diagnosis - I was diagnosed with depression at 15 years old, anxiety at 21, and ADHD at 23. I have been on medications on/off but none of them really worked for me and have been able to manage better without. It has been over a year since I have taken any psychiatric medication. Overall, I'm high-performing and well functioning. I am a doctoral student and am able to handle the academic rigor. I know the depression and anxiety are typically easier to get past but the ADHD is harder and may require psych eval.

3 - Psychiatric Hospitalization - I was hospitalized in a psych hospital twice in my life, both at the age of 15 shortly after my depression diagnosis due to a suicide attempt for each one. Although it was a long time ago, this is what I'm most concerned about. I'm not going to lie, I was in a really bad point of my life at that time. I've never had such attempts since then and since 16 I have not ideated suicide.

Given the above, I plan to try to obtain a medical license, if I'm able, prior to starting any sort of flight school since I'm very uncertain as to the outcome. While I know that one of these issues alone is not cause for denial, I'm worried that the combination of all of them will just be too much and it will be denied. I understand it's a somewhat unique situation and so it would be hard to answer my question, but do you guys think I even have a chance of getting medically cleared to fly? Given that I would likely have to go through the medical, psych eval/battery, etc. I'd like to know since I'd rather not spend a lot oftime and money on a longshot.

P.S. Does anyone have an idea as to the cost of all of this? I know this will vary but if anyone has any experience I'd love to know. For both the physical and psych battery.

you probably want to talk/retain to one of the aviation health professionals (if Dr Bruce is accepting patients, Dr Fowler, or wingmanmed) and go through things. Thats a lot, and they'll have a much better idea of whether you have a good shot, how long it will take, and the costs involved.

The glaucoma isn't a big thing. Even completely monocular vision is certifiable. Many of the treatments for elevated IOP are approved anyhow. You'll need a full workup including Humphrey visual fields (which frankly you should be getting anyhow).

The psych issues are going to be a bigger issue. You have what falls into the category of multiple/recurrent and that's going to be a longer slog. A frank discussion with a good HIMS AME before you apply (there are at least two here) is recommended.

Back