iPhone 5: what can close all apps at once?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone know of a utility that will close all running apps and background processes at once? This will be for a non-jailbroken phone.

I know how to close the apps Using the "double-click home button press until wiggling and close one at a time" method. But I want to find something that will kill them all at once.

Don't know of one. Long ago in iOS land a reboot would do it, but they all stay nowadays.

If you find one, lemme know. I leave way too much crap loaded.

Primary need is to help save battery life while flying. Recently a 60 minute took my my battery level from 90% All the way down to 50%. I know how to shut off other battery leaches for flying purposes. I guess I just need to add this to my pre-takeoff checklist.

Shutting down all the background apps should help for battery life. Which is one of the main reasons I want to find this app.

Primary need is to help save battery life while flying. Recently a 60 minute took my my battery level from 90% All the way down to 50%. I know how to shut off other battery leaches for flying purposes. I guess I just need to add this to my pre-takeoff checklist.

Shutting down all the background apps should help for battery life. Which is one of the main reasons I want to find this app.

Unless you use the phone for navigation turn it on "airplane mode" otherwise it's searching for reception constantly and eating the battery up fast.

Unless you use the phone for navigation turn it on "airplane mode" otherwise it's searching for reception constantly and eating the battery up fast.

Does airplane mode kill the on board GPS in the phone ?

I guess the simple way for me to fix this is modifying my printed check list to include entries to do various functions for the mobile devices. Especially steps that will turn off apps running in background, extend battery life, launch MyFlightbook & Cloud Ahoy, etc.

Any way to use charger? If no onboard cig plug, possibly one of those external power packs.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Any way to use charger? If no onboard cig plug, possibly one of those external power packs.

Yes to using a charger, but cig lighter is in a 1975 location. Which isn't very a convenient location to 2013 mobile device. :rolleyes:

The question isn't just tied into aviation. There are several occasions outside of flying that I'd like to quickly close all running apps and perform a "garbage collection" without tapping on 30-40 wiggling icons one at a time and then rebooting the device.

My google-fu found several solutions for jail broken devices. But so far, nothing for non-jail broke devices.

You may have a background particular app doing that to you, not just normal 'phone searching for signal' stuff or 'I have 20 apps running in background'.

One of the things I noticed when I switched from my Android Evo Shift to an iPhone 5 was that I no longer needed to manage it for flight. The Shift required 'airplane mode' or it would be dead upon landing while the iPhone seems to have enough 'smarts' to save its charge somehow. I've flown a number of 4hour+ legs and the iPhone 5 remains charged. My wife's iPhone 4 seems to work the same way but we're not sure because she generally remembers to put it in airplane mode.

After a lifetime in IT, I find that I bring way too many preconceptions about how all this personal technology works. I spent time shutting things down and generally managing my handhelds until I slowly discovered I was wasting my time... especially on a jailbird iPhone. The abundant memory and energy is amazingly well managed. I just try to use the stuff until I encounter a problem. Looking back, most of my problems stem from trying to do something for free that vendors want me to pay for. No surprise there.

To my delight, shutting down all running apps was something I had to do occasionally on my old Android (and there was a utility to do that). On my iPhone, not yet. I find a couple of streaming apps interfere which each other sometimes but that's been it so far.

Take the battery out. Kills all apps. Works every time.

The apps aren't running. Therefore they aren't wasting your battery life. Their state is just saved in persistent (flash) memory. iOS does a very good job at this.

I have a couple that can be woken up from that sleepy state, however... mainly weather alert apps. If they're not in that saved state, the alert simply comes as a badge alert, but if they're asleep/open they'll pop up and do something. So I like making sure they're dead and on the cart, in Monty Python terms...

My understanding is that no current version of iOS allows actual multitasking at all, just notification wakeups.

Android does allow real multitasking.

You could go into your settings application and turn off all your notifications, but that would be kind of a PIB, at least for me.

This new fangled iOS 7 is claimed to allow real multitasking in such a way as to not eat up a battery

Shutting down all the background apps should help for battery life.

Not really - See the posts from Bill and Jesse.

The biggest battery drain will be the phone attempting to contact the cell network in flight. The second-biggest will be the GPS, but I'm assuming you want to keep that available? The screen brightness may also be a factor. The "running" apps (they're not really running) really are a non-factor in battery life on iOS.

Back