Inspecting aircraft parts

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
For the A&P's and IA's here, my question is...in your training, were you taught that when inspecting critical parts for cracking, occult damage or defects on annual or 100 hour inspections, that it is required that the part be clean of dirt, debris, oil, grease or corrosion prior to that inspection? If it is required, is it regulatory, or just just highly recommended? What are the rules for proper procedures for inspections of aircraft parts?

I do catch the FASASafety webinars when I get the chance. Just saw a slide that reminded me of this a few weeks ago. It's from the FAA Regulations link.

Appendix D to Part 43—Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections

(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

Last edited:
This has been a common question for the last 100 years. Yes, every aircraft and every part should be cleaned, paint removed and inspected with the latest and greatest Non Destructive Testing (NDT) practice.

Are you willing to pay $110/hour for every part to be cleaned and inspected each year?

that it is required that the part be clean of dirt, debris, oil, grease or corrosion prior to that inspection?
Yes.
is it regulatory, or just just highly recommended?
Regulatory in most cases and recommended in the rest.
What are the rules for proper procedures for inspections of aircraft parts?
Depends. As noted above its listed in Part 43. It can also called for in an AD as well other similar situations. However there are a number of other acceptable guidance references like OEM procedures, FAA references like AC 43.13.1B, etc that call for cleaning prior to work or inspection. And even some of those acceptable references can become "mandatory" depending on the type of aircraft ops.

Discrepancy = Evidence of fuel leakage #3 cylinder Intake Port.

Corrective Action= Evidence removed

In some cases it is best to inspect an area before cleaning.

It might be difficult at best to detect fuel, oil and exhaust leaks

post cleaning. Mostly regarding engines.

Discrepancy = Evidence of fuel leakage #3 cylinder Intake Port.

Corrective Action= Evidence removed

In some cases it is best to inspect an area before cleaning.

It might be difficult at best to detect fuel, oil and exhaust leaks

post cleaning. Mostly regarding engines.
yup....agreed. So, it depends when the cleaning occurs.

Based on what I've found in so many airplanes, the engine might get cleaned but nothing else does. Plenty of evidence that the floor and wings have not been opened up for many years, with accumulated dirt and grime and sometimes mouse nests and poop and corrosion and often various hardware lost by maintenance personnel or avionics techs. Tools too, sometimes. I spent way too much time scraping out gunk and vacuuming out animal stuff and neutralizing battery acid spillage. Leaving most of that stuff in there promotes corrosion, and can foul controls. I once found a 1/8" high mound of blue dye under a slowly leaking fuel line fitting. The nut was finger-tight. Takes a long time to accumulate that much residue.

which reminds me....fall is coming and I need to put out mouse bait in the hangar.

Back