Importing a GA aircraft - SoCal

AlexCA20

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AlexCA20
Does anyone know a shop in southern California (San Diego, O.C., LA, etc.) who can do the process of importing a GA aircraft from Canada to the U.S.?

Any shop/mechanic really should be able to help you, however I would strongly suggest getting someone involved who understands the import process. Get whomever you plan to work with involved early on in the process to help smooth the transition.

What kind of airplane are we talking about and what kind of modifications does it have?

It's a Mooney 201. All the mods are STCed.

It's a Mooney 201. All the mods are STCed.

Since it is a Mooney and was manufactured in the US, you shouldn't need an export CoA. Be very careful to insure that the airplane is truly in a configuration that is legal and acceptable in the US. Even if all the mods are STCd, I've seen some cases where the Canadians didn't have proper authorization from the STC holder to install the equipment but they did anyway and apparently it was acceptable up there. Make sure you know what you're getting and make sure you know how easy or hard the import will be prior to getting in the middle of it and having the airplane tied up for months while all the paperwork gets sorted out.

I assume you've located a DAR to work with? That would be where I'd probably start.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...ations/designee_types/media/DARTDirectory.pdf

Back