IFR Filing with Liedos

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
For those who file IFR through Liedos, does it provide updates or the equivalent of ForeFlight’s “expected” clearance through its text and email messaging service?

I’m asking because I filed a routing yesterday as an experiment. Not picked up; just let it time out normally. I received the “accepted by Center” message but nothing else.

For those who file IFR through Liedos, does it provide updates or the equivalent of ForeFlight’s “expected” clearance through its text and email messaging service?

I’m asking because I filed a routing yesterday as an experiment. Not picked up; just let it time out normally. I received the “accepted by Center” message but nothing else.
No it does not. Garmin pilot will pick up the route changes though, even though I file on the 1800wxbrief site. I suspect FF would do the same. It doesn't show up on the wxbrief site either. The data is obviously available, but no one at leidos is smart enough to think we might want it. Usually flightaware is the first one to have it.

Why use wxbrief then, you might ask? I've filed through garmin pilot in the past and had it take half an hour to go through. I'm very often filing within 10min of my departure time and my tracon gets my strip immediately when I submit it through the website. Within seconds, every time. I believe it's when the text is sent. Also, GPs briefing presentation sucks, so I'm going to the site for that anyway.

So why use GP then you might ask? Database Concierge and Android support. Sigh.

Thanks, Jim.

Interesting that Garmin Pilot is slow about it. I’ve filed wit ForeFlight 10 minutes before walking out to the airplane.

I only have a Liedos aircraft profiles if I have to call FSS in the air to file.

Thanks, Jim.

Interesting that Garmin Pilot is slow about it. I’ve filed wit ForeFlight 10 minutes before walking out to the airplane.

I only have a Liedos aircraft profiles if I have to call FSS in the air to file.
I can't be sure it's not my fault, and I'm also suspicious that it might be a GP on Android problem. That version is always buggy. So buggy that I bought an ipad mini to fly with, however it doesn't have cell service. My big Android tablet I use for everything does, and that's the only one I've tried filing through. That said Leidos and Fltplan services both seemed to have the same issue. Filing on Fltplan.com through a browser worked fine. At this point 1800wxbrief is an ingrained habit, so it's probably been a year since I've tried going through GP.

I'm pretty sure @NealRomeoGolf files through GP on his Ipad and has no complaints.

Yes, they do. Honestly, until you asked i'd never bothered to read them as i get the updates via Garmin PIlot / Foreflight
1717845809863.png

Yes, they do. Honestly, until you asked i'd never bothered to read them as i get the updates via Garmin PIlot / Foreflight
View attachment 129778
In my experience the text will show the route you filed. The route you get when you contact clearance can be different.

View attachment 129778
In my experience the text will show the route you filed. The route you get when you contact clearance can be different.
Your message caused me to go back and look through my texts to make sure I wasn't making things up....and to my surprise, I found that the last couple flights I had that they changed the routes, I DID get a text with the updated route, and an option to amend my filed route to the proposed. I'm not sure when this started, but I stand corrected. I guess I kind of stopped paying attention to the texts.

they've been sending the amendments

Guessing, i probably only get the notified routes 50% of the time

Attachments

• 1717846547244.png
    1717846547244.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm an Android guy so don't use FF. I typically file IFR via fltplan.com. Easiest on a real computer/web browser, but also works fine on the phone or tablet when a "real" computer isn't available. Feels like 1998, but it works fine.

I use FlightAware as my "monitoring service" with standing alerts for my tail number sent via SMS.

FltPlan.com provides historical data on the route(s) ATC has assigned in the past for your airport pair during the planning process. Easy to see what the route(s) look like on a map and then select one for inclusion in your plan.

Click "file" in FP.com, and within a couple of minutes, get a text from FA including the assigned route: "N12345 (P28A) filed to depart T41 @ Sat (18 May) 09:00AM CDT for KGTU @ ETA 10:37AM CDT (18 May) (IDU1 IDU)"

Never had an issue filing thru Garmin pilot. Only thing I’ve noticed is tower/CD says they typically don’t see plans in the system if your ETD is > 30 minutes from when u dial em up.

I file through LEIDOS and get updates on GP. Works very well and if routing gets changed, GP has it ready to accept on the Ipad and I can push it to the GTN easily. I have mixed experience filing through GP directly. There are setting in GP that need to be done to have your LEIDOS account info so that they can push the updates ( I think ).

I prefer filing on my laptop vs tablet unless it's right before flight.

they've been sending the amendments

Guessing, i probably only get the notified routes 50% of the time
That's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

But that still leaves a question. You said 50% of the time. Are the rest "as filed?" Does that mean you don't get any notification in addition to the initial "ATC accepted" @eman1200 posted (which I did receive) if there has been no change?

Just to fill it out, a friend of mine filed a flight plan via FF. His "expected clearance" (after filing acceptance) was one of those strange ones where you get an airway to airway transition without a common waypoint. I wanted to see if I could duplicate that by filing with Liedos. All I got was the initial acceptance message.

And yes... I just double checked to make sure I am subscribed to EasyAmend

Never had an issue filing thru Garmin pilot. Only thing I’ve noticed is tower/CD says they typically don’t see plans in the system if your ETD is > 30 minutes from when u dial em up.
I think that's standard - the local ATC computer doesn't spit out the flight plans until 30 minutes before filed EDT. The window is 30 minutes before until 2 hours after.

That's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

But that still leaves a question. You said 50% of the time. Are the rest "as filed?" Does that mean you don't get any notification in addition to the initial "ATC accepted" @eman1200 posted (which I did receive) if there has been no change?

Just to fill it out, a friend of mine filed a flight plan via FF. His "expected clearance" (after filing acceptance) was one of those strange ones where you get an airway to airway transition without a common waypoint. I wanted to see if I could duplicate that by filing with Liedos. All I got was the initial acceptance message.

And yes... I just double checked to make sure I am subscribed to EasyAmend
I should've said once i contact atc, i only get the notified route about 50% of the time.
As far as i can tell, the notification services seem reliable and yes there seems to be some sorta 30 min limit.
it could be just my bad luck but i've only received "as filed" like twice in 5 years

I file through ForeFlight exclusively now, and get messaged confirmation of the filing and the acceptance within 60 seconds - pretty much always.

In addition, I routinely get "as filed," but I also look up what's being assigned in ForeFlight and, assuming it make sense, I file that anyway. Plus, my typical flight is DFW Bravo to podunk, or podunk to DFW Bravo, so I file the DP and STAR, and all's well.

I should've said once i contact atc, i only get the notified route about 50% of the time.
As far as i can tell, the notification services seem reliable and yes there seems to be some sorta 30 min limit.
it could be just my bad luck but i've only received "as filed" like twice in 5 years
That has a lot to do with where you are and what you file. I get “as filed” far more often than not. That includes not only flights to the east, west, and south of the Raleigh area where Direct or a single enroute waypoint will work, but my forays to the PHL and NY areas. There really are preferred IFR routes.

But back to the other question. Do you get only get a message notification after the initial acceptance if there has been a change? (Regardless of what ATC does when you call for the real clearance)

Do you get only get a message notification after the initial acceptance if there has been a change?
Yes, I do. The message looks like that posted in #8, except the CRP CRP CRP looks weird to me. I've never seen that.

I can't be sure it's not my fault, and I'm also suspicious that it might be a GP on Android problem. That version is always buggy. So buggy that I bought an ipad mini to fly with, however it doesn't have cell service. My big Android tablet I use for everything does, and that's the only one I've tried filing through. That said Leidos and Fltplan services both seemed to have the same issue. Filing on Fltplan.com through a browser worked fine. At this point 1800wxbrief is an ingrained habit, so it's probably been a year since I've tried going through GP.

I'm pretty sure @NealRomeoGolf files through GP on his Ipad and has no complaints.
My Garmin Pilot filings go to our local immediately. I don't have the delay that Jim sees.

I haven't gotten a reroute at the time of clearance in probably 2 years (midwest flying is great) so I don't remember if GP gives me the new route or not. My last re-route was midflight.

Here's a text I got from Liedos showing a route change:

1717876036235.png

I use Liedos, FltPlan Go, and Aviation Weather Center; all free and they have never let me down. I spend my $ keeping my GTN databases up to date.

Last edited:
I file with Lidos - you get a text message confirming receipt and then IF there's a change, another text with the new routing. Simple/free.

Today’s real-world experience:

At 6:47 this morning I filed on 1-800wxbrief.com (Leidos) on my phone from KONT for a scheduled departure at 8:00. At 6:48 I got an email from Leidos with the route I filed AND I got an email at the same time from FlightAware with an amended route, which included a SID plus some other changes. I picked up my clearance at 8:40 and was airborne at 8:49. When I landed I had an email from Leidos at 8:50 showing the change. I was cleared for exactly what FlightAware said.

This evening I filed for a flight from KTUS tomorrow morning using Leidos and got an email accepting it. I haven’t gotten an email from FlightAware yet (they typically come an hour or two before a flight) but when I went on there to review today’s flights, the flight for tomorrow was there - and amended. Nothing about an amendment yet from Leidos. I’m betting I’ll get an email from FA and MAYBE one from Leidos tomorrow morning and I bet I’ll fly the SID/routing that FA shows.

Bottom line, I file with Leidos but look at FA for what will really happen.

I’m too cheap to use ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot.

Based on the variety of responses here and elsewhere, it’s starting to look like the Liedos system is a little haphazard.

In the experiment I tried, Liedos sent me the initial “accepted by ATC” message but nothing ever showed up in FlightAware (which makes me expect there was a glitch). In a follow up the next day using a different flight, I got the initial “accepted” message and an amended route that did nothing except double the destination airport, similar to what @asicer posted.
1718102574368.png

Based on the examples I've seen here, Leidos does seem inconsistent with their use of airport and navaid identifiers. KCRP vs CRP for example. The clearance limit is almost always an airport. In my own personal use the routing has always made sense. Any confusion would be cleared up when picking up the actual clearance.

Based on the examples I've seen here, Leidos does seem inconsistent with their use of airport and navaid identifiers. KCRP vs CRP for example. The clearance limit is almost always an airport. In my own personal use the routing has always made sense. Any confusion would be cleared up when picking up the actual clearance.
Except in my case there is no PGV VOR.

And yet in the example I provided, the clearance limit was KFST and FST VORTAC is nearby. :dunno:

Update for anyone still interested. I sent an inquiry to Leidos and had a pleasant email discussion with one of their people.

PGV PGV
This probably also applies to at least two of the triple CRP.s The difference is that there is no PGV VOR; there is a CRP VOR. According to my contact, the doubling is typically not something from the Center computer. Rather it's most likely a manual change by the individual controller who receives the printout. (My contact actually went so far as to contact Center about it). I think that also accounts for the message at the bottom about the amendment being too close to departure time, since the controller is typically not going to see it until about 30 minutes before departure.

"Expected" Clearance
Yes, different than Foreflight. The initial "was accepted for fling by ATC" message represents both an acknowledgment of receipt and the clearance that can be expected (albeit not guaranteed).The only time there is a subsequent message is if ATC (whether Center or local) pushes an amendment to what was filed.

That's unlike FF where the acknowledgement of receipt and the acceptance of the route ("Expected Clearance") are the subject of separate messages.

A few mentioned Garmin Pilot. Pilot uses Leidos for filing so the Leidos process is what you get.

Update for anyone still interested. I sent an inquiry to Leidos and had a pleasant email discussion with one of their people.

Any explanation for inconsistent use of airport identifiers? Sometimes a “K” and sometimes not?

Back