I am impressed with MAG. :yes:

I hate to say this, because I like Rod Rakic personally, but OpenAirplane is headed for the same result, IMHO.

Very few people *need* to travel by airliner to somewhere else to rent a GA airplane. Without insurers backing it, and what incentive do they have to do so...? OpenAirplane will disappear over time.

Nearly nobody *needs* to fly GA at all, but plenty of us *want* to - And plenty of folks would *want* to be able to fly GA airplanes from someplace other than their home base without having to get another checkout. Say I went on vacation to Hawaii (can't fly myself there without a much more capable airplane!) and wanted to fly around. I'd be willing to rent a C172 for that, but if I have to pay for an extra 1.5 hours to prove that I can fly a 172 beforehand... Forget it, I'm not interested.

There's probably other people who are interested in being able to rent from more than one FBO but don't want to have to fly every 60 or 90 days at both FBO's to maintain currency.

Nearly nobody *needs* to fly GA at all, but plenty of us *want* to - And plenty of folks would *want* to be able to fly GA airplanes from someplace other than their home base without having to get another checkout. Say I went on vacation to Hawaii (can't fly myself there without a much more capable airplane!) and wanted to fly around. I'd be willing to rent a C172 for that, but if I have to pay for an extra 1.5 hours to prove that I can fly a 172 beforehand... Forget it, I'm not interested.

There's probably other people who are interested in being able to rent from more than one FBO but don't want to have to fly every 60 or 90 days at both FBO's to maintain currency.

What's even more ridiculous, is there's only like what, five insurance underwriters? Chances are you're probably already checked out in an aircraft that they insure.

Say I went on vacation to Hawaii (can't fly myself there without a much more capable airplane!) and wanted to fly around. I'd be willing to rent a C172 for that, but if I have to pay for an extra 1.5 hours to prove that I can fly a 172 beforehand... Forget it, I'm not interested.

I just take the CFI along when flying in Hawaii. You're going to pay for some of his time anyway. The advantage they bring is local knowledge. In my experience they make great tour guides and I let them handle the radios - they can pronounce the reporting points far better than I can. :D

I just take the CFI along when flying in Hawaii. You're going to pay for some of his time anyway. The advantage they bring is local knowledge. In my experience they make great tour guides and I let them handle the radios - they can pronounce the reporting points far better than I can. :D

Agreed. Flight's over before the checkride is done.

This would be true of almost all "sightseeing" flights actually.

And if you're going to fly the thing for four or five hours, just fly yourself there in the first place. (Hawaii and Alaska, excluded, probably.)

That's the critical flaw in OpenAirplane, I can fly myself to the destination in my own aircraft (or a rented one) in less than a day from the center of the U.S. Only someone traveling from one coast to the other might have a time problem doing that. And if the weather is crap in-between, if you're going east on the human mailing tube, the weather will catch you by the time you want to crank up the rental at the other end the next day.

I just take the CFI along when flying in Hawaii. You're going to pay for some of his time anyway.

Not if you have an OpenAirplane checkout.

The advantage they bring is local knowledge. In my experience they make great tour guides and I let them handle the radios - they can pronounce the reporting points far better than I can. :D

Meh - I'd rather just fly around and look at stuff without a stranger in the cockpit.

That's the critical flaw in OpenAirplane, I can fly myself to the destination in my own aircraft (or a rented one) in less than a day from the center of the U.S. Only someone traveling from one coast to the other might have a time problem doing that. And if the weather is crap in-between, if you're going east on the human mailing tube, the weather will catch you by the time you want to crank up the rental at the other end the next day.

Nate, you're an owner, not a renter. OpenAirplane is aimed more at renters. It's prohibitively expensive to rent airplanes for really long trips, so most renters don't seem to do long trips (the notable exception I can think of being Grant and Leslie). So, lots of people go places for vacation or business and just want to get an hour of flying in somewhere away from home.

Nate, you're an owner, not a renter. OpenAirplane is aimed more at renters. It's prohibitively expensive to rent airplanes for really long trips, so most renters don't seem to do long trips (the notable exception I can think of being Grant and Leslie). So, lots of people go places for vacation or business and just want to get an hour of flying in somewhere away from home.

I'll have to disagree with the sentiment that renting for long trips is "prohibitively expensive". I did it a number of times as a renter. In fact, unless you're renting 4-6 hours a month, you're not even hitting the costs of ownership, not including buying the aircraft... which are far greater.

Plus, the buy-in on ownership has never been lower in my lifetime, really. Piles of good airplanes not selling right now.

Someone traveling who wants "just an hour of flying" probably flies less than 4 hours a month at home too.

The sad reality is, OpenAirplane is fixing a different problem than Rod thinks it is... people who can afford to fly these days are often too busy to do so, because they're always traveling on commercial airliners, to make a better than average living. They get stuck in another city at inane meetings for a week and the two or three nights out of the week that they're not out entertaining customers, is boredom from hell in a hotel room. Then they think they'll just go bomb around unfamiliar airspace for fun for a couple of hours? I dunno. Doesn't seem like a big win for me...

The "vacation rental" part of it is just going to beat up CFIs at popular destinations by taking away checkride income... And I doubt any FBO in Hawaii will sign up, for that reason... for one example, since we're hung up on Hawaii in this thread.

How about Alaska? Think any sane CFI would cut someone from the lower 48 loose in their weather with a sign-off from a CFI in Iowa?

I love Rod's enthusiasm but I don't see it solving a problem most pilots truly have more than once a year, maybe twice, tops.

Back