How to crash an airplane (United 232, 1989)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Interesting discussion....

He’s got a few off details but his presentation is okay. There’s better interviews about Al and Denny including ones they’re in the video. RIP Denny.

The only obvious thing I heard was that Denny wasn’t a Captain at the time. But over all, it was a good presentation. I saw details I hadn’t seen before.

I was fortunate to meet Captain Haynes briefly while in college - I couldn’t believe he took the time to talk to me about *my* flying. Here I am just some dumb kid flying a Duchess, and he’s one of the heroes of United 232.

It’s illogical, but that exchange always made me kind of hope I’d wind up at United one day. Alas they never called, but that exchange remains an important part of my formative years as a pilot.

He’s got a few off details but his presentation is okay. There’s better interviews about Al and Denny including ones they’re in the video. RIP Denny.

Captain Haynes has also flown West, on August 25, 2019. He was a gentleman and supremely skilled pilot. In every interview after the crash of Flight 232, he was self effacing and quick to credit the actions of Denny Fitch, First Officer Roy Records, and Second Officer Dudley Dvorak in the outcome of the snakeyes rolled by fate that day.

Captain Haynes has also flown West, on August 25, 2019. He was a gentleman and supremely skilled pilot. In every interview after the crash of Flight 232, he was self effacing and quick to credit the actions of Denny Fitch, First Officer Roy Records, and Second Officer Dudley Dvorak in the outcome of the snakeyes rolled by fate that day.

Yeah had forgotten he had. Met him a couple of times.

I remember one of his anecdotes was that as the cockpit was sliding through the corn field and time compression happened, he remembered thinking “They really do grow it that tall in Iowa...”

Back