How to check out a CFI's credentials?

Well, he's not in charge anymore. But yes at the time, without the 10/80% I could get a Gold Seal.

Well if he was down to lie on the 8710s, and push it through his FSDO, should have had him through in an ATP, A&P IA, and maybe a multi sea rating while he was at it.

Man... what a waste... I actually had to earn what on my ticket :rolleyes2:

A DPE cannot issue a Gold Seal. The Gold Seal has to be issued through the FSDO.

I issued a few of them in my time.

That's what I was thinking, I remember them actually looking my pass rate up on a different system, forget the name of it, but it also had info on flags or something.

So EdFred ether knew a crooked Fed or the story is BS.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, I remember they actually looking my pass rate up on a different system, forget the name of it, but it also had info on flags or anything.

It's called SPAS, and yes every CFI is tracked and shows his applicants, the check ride, the examiner and a pass/fail. If an Instructor starts getting a lot of fails it flags for surveillance.

Great, so I'm a liar now.

Hey, go **** yourself and your ATP.

Please explain to me how taking an additional written test which covers virtually nothing more than has already been tested would improve an experienced CFI's craft.

Taking an additional written test does not earn you a gold seal.

The gold seal is not a guarantee of pass rate or anything else. Former head of NAFI said "if you ever want the gold seal, let me know." That was after I passed my first student.

You're probably talking about Jason Blair. If so, I can promise you that he wasn't offering to get you a Gold Seal. He neither could nor would. He was probably referring to their Master CFI program. I'm pretty sure it has since changed, but for a brief period, the FAA would issue a Gold Seal to master CFIs who also had the ground instructor thing. I suspect he was going to suggest that you try to earn your Master CFI.

You're probably talking about Jason Blair. If so, I can promise you that he wasn't offering to get you a Gold Seal. He neither could nor would. He was probably referring to their Master CFI program. I'm pretty sure it has since changed, but for a brief period, the FAA would issue a Gold Seal to master CFIs who also had the ground instructor thing. I suspect he was going to suggest that you try to earn your Master CFI.

Yes, it was him, and that was the path he suggested - at least what I recall it was, it's been a while. But having known him prior to his brief NAFI days, there is no doubt he would have done it for me. Or at least attempted to push it through. Whether it would have been accepted by the FAA or not is another issue. I didn't bother with it because, well, I don't really need to have one.

Taking an additional written test does not earn you a gold seal.

It does if you've met all the other requirements but never bothered to get a ground instructor rating because you already have those privileges as a CFI.

CFIs who "never bothered" are not the type you want IMO.

The CFI who is always learning, who is always trying to improve his craft, always hungry for the next achievement, the next student, the next rating, that's who you want.

CFIs who "never bothered" are not the type you want IMO.

The CFI who is always learning, who is always trying to improve his craft, always hungry for the next achievement, the next student, the next rating, that's who you want.
I agree. But taking one more written test that covers nothing you haven't been tested on before and gives you no additional privileges suggests only that one likes to spend money to add paper to one's wall and letters behind one's name, and at least for me, I've got too many letters behind my name already and my wall is already full.

Ronald B. Levy, ATP-ASMEL, CFI-ASME-IA, B.S.Eng., M.Av.Mgt., Capt., USAFR (ret).

Hell, I can't even fit all that on a business card now, no less adding GI-I-A.

Last edited:
It's like a 100 bucks, that's a Saturday night bar tab.

If you have the numbers go get your gold seal on!

I've made my 100bucks back more than a few times over with it.

And I have a few frames on my wall too ;)

Last edited:
It's like a 100 bucks, that's a Saturday night bar tab.

If you have the numbers go get your gold seal on!

I've made my 100bucks back more than a few times over with it.
I'd be interested to know how you made extra money by having a GI ticket after already having a CFI ticket with the same ratings. Perhaps after you've bought that many people that many drinks they'll believe anything you say.

Marketing.

I've had students shopping a few schools who came over to me due to my gold seal, they asked the other schools about the gold seal after talking to me, other schools made excuses on why no one was gold seal, student signed up with yours truly :D

Last edited:
But they don't,

In fact you'll find that when most of those guys leach enough hours to reach their dream of working as slave labor for a regional, they left their CFI certs lapse.
When you're only in it for the hours why bother keeping it up and adding to it with a good seal right?

See if you can arrive at the airport at the end of the prospective instructor's flight with a student. Watch the instructor and student, do they talk and interact in a positive way when they walk from the plane to the FBO? Or does the instructor walk away by himself? Try and talk to the student without the instructor present and ask him if the instructor is friendly.

Talk to the instructor. Most instructors have the knowledge and know how to fly the airplane. Does he use a syllabus? What is the pass rate of his students? What is the relationship between the FBO and the DE? Do you like him? Do you hit it off?

A lot is personality fit. Some people get along with certain people. Some will like and do well with one instructor and not like or do well with the other. Just like any other relationship.

Marketing.

I've had students shopping a few schools who came over to me due to my gold seal, they asked the other schools about the gold seal after talking to me, other schools made excuses on why no one was gold seal, student signed up with yours truly :D
I wonder how a "new student" heard about Gold Seals or if they have any idea how little it means. They would probably be impressed by a shirt with captain's stripes epaulets and wings on the chest, too. Maybe an FAA Wings Program certificate would add to the effect.

"Gold seal" is just another data point. I used that as an internet search tool to find some CFII candidates to choose from. But that wasn't the reason I selected my current CFII, and not the reason I keep going back.

I agree. But taking one more written test that covers nothing you haven't been tested on before and gives you no additional privileges suggests only that one likes to spend money to add paper to one's wall and letters behind one's name, and at least for me, I've got too many letters behind my name already and my wall is already full.

Ronald B. Levy, ATP-ASMEL, CFI-ASME-IA, B.S.Eng., M.Av.Mgt., Capt., USAFR (ret).

Hell, I can't even fit all that on a business card now, no less adding GI-I-A.

I wonder how a "new student" heard about Gold Seals or if they have any idea how little it means. They would probably be impressed by a shirt with captain's stripes epaulets and wings on the chest, too. Maybe an FAA Wings Program certificate would add to the effect.

Maybe they could hang around Internet forums and remind everyone weekly of their resume while playing a legal and regulation expert? :rolleyes:

:D

I'm looking for a new CFI and want to be sure I get a trainer that is good, has the proper credentials and has a good pass rate for students. Are there any online resources to verify this information? What else should I be looking for?
Good on you for asking this question. They are questions that more students ought to be asking. I suggest that you get in contact with the local FAA Flight Standards District Office and as for a list of the nearest designated pilot examiners (DPEs). Give those guys a call and ask your questions. They know who the good CFIs are.

I'm looking for a new CFI and want to be sure I get a trainer that is good, has the proper credentials and has a good pass rate for students. Are there any online resources to verify this information? What else should I be looking for?

Ask for their references of former students and talk to them.

Back