How do I correctly file for a CMF IFR flight?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Greetings, fellow aviators,

I have never used the Compassion call sign in the past and I have certainly never filed with it either.
After running a search here, I did not find the answer to my exact question so I am turning to you for help.

The instructions on the FltPlan webpage say to put an alternate call sign in the Remarks section. However, they also have a special box labeled Call sign (optional).
That sounds to be like a much better place to enter the desired call sign.

So when filing for an IFR flight for a pup transport, let's say in N12345, do I put in CMF345 in the Call Sign box or *CMF345* in the Remarks box?? What have y'all used before?

I appreciate any input from those who have filed the CMF call sign in the past and from controllers as well.
Thank you in advance
Lou

I thought the "compassion" callsign was just a prefix.

As in "Compassion Skylane 123XY." Your callsign is the same as it ever was, and that's how you file it.

If it's really a new FAA approved callsign, the AIM tells you to put it in the remarks. But there are quite a few organizations (e.g., CAP) with the opposite convention, and I've made quite a few VFR and IFR flight plans with the radiotelephony callsign in the ID box and the real tail number in remarks. The ID is what you're going to open the flight plan with, so the AIM doesn't make a lot of sense.

This specific callsign comprises of the letters CMF and the last three symbols of your actual tail #. So your Skylane N123XY would translate into CMF3XY. It makes sense and it is also easier on us pilots used to saying just the last 3 symbols of our tail number too. :)

For PnP, I really don't bother. I don't see needing additional service/priv's that transporting an ailing or getting sick human might require.

But for AngelFlight, their guidelines are to put "NGF _ _ _ _" where the _'s are your AngelFlight ID, and then "N______" in the remarks.

But the new ICAO form has a better layout for callsigns. Whether that's getting onto the ATC strip, I don't know.

I set up a separate aircraft profile on my Fltplan account (I now do the same with Foreflight) with CMFxyz as the N number (obviously replacing xyz with the appropriate digits/letters) and file accordingly. I file with my CMF N-number profile for the Angel Flight leg,only. Never had a problem.

I don't pretend to understand the politics involved, but there is a big to-do about who gets to file NGF. I fly for Angel Flight East and we have been told to file CMF.

I think, and this is just dumbass-ol-me spitballin' on the web, that one Angel Flight operation considers itself to be 'primus inter pares' and browbeat the FAA into accepting that viewpoint, but I don't know for sure. Seems pretty stupid to me. 'Angel Flight' sounds better and takes up less airtime than 'Compassion Flight.'

If you file with an ICAO flightplan, you enter the CMF345 in the call sign field and in field 18 you enter the N number after the REG/ Keyword, so REG/N12345. With a domestic flightplan, you enter the N number in your remarks.

If you file with an ICAO flightplan, you enter the CMF345 in the call sign field and in field 18 you enter the N number after the REG/ Keyword, so REG/N12345. With a domestic flightplan, you enter the N number in your remarks.

I've used that technique successfully many times with CAP callsigns, but for some reason the AIM says to do it differently. Do you have any insight as to why? It doesn't make sense to me.

The AIM needs some re writing for ICAO flightplans. Can you point to the section that conflicts with my advice?

@BigBadLou if you are flying for PnP or with Angel Flights they have a document that explains all this, including when to use it and when NOT to use it. Just do a search on their forums for Compassion Callsign.

There's also this website.

I'd also be sure to identify as a compassion flight on your first ATC call up, even as a medevac I've had times where I wasn't identified as such despite my flight plan.

The AIM needs some re writing for ICAO flightplans. Can you point to the section that conflicts with my advice?
Section 5-1-8.f says to put the N-number in ID and call sign in remarks, and makes a dangling reference to the FAA assigned three letter company designator. The VFR instructions are somewhat different.

What a mess.

That is not in conflict with my comments. It is the only way it can be done with the domestic flightplan form. With the ICAO form, in field 18 (See AIM 5-1-9 b. 8.(k)) you can use the REG/ for this purpose. Also with (See AIM 5-1-9 b. 8.(b)) STS/ can be used to specify (8) HUM or (12) SAR.

That is not in conflict with my comments. It is the only way it can be done with the domestic flightplan form. With the ICAO form, in field 18 (See AIM 5-1-9 b. 8.(k)) you can use the REG/ for this purpose. Also with (See AIM 5-1-9 b. 8.(b)) STS/ can be used to specify (8) HUM or (12) SAR.

Yes it is. For domestic flight plans, you said to put the N-number in remarks for a domestic flight plan. The AIM says to put it in ID. Your way makes a lot more sense to me since the N-number isn't going over the radio.

Thank you for all the replies.
To clarify, my question was not about how to properly use the callsign but how to file it.
And it seems that y'all are right, one needs to create a fake aircraft with a full profile. What an inefficient way. I was hoping that the "Call Sign (optional)" box on the flight plan would be sufficient.

Any controllers here with input?

Thank you for all the replies.
To clarify, my question was not about how to properly use the callsign but how to file it.
And it seems that y'all are right, one needs to create a fake aircraft with a full profile. What an inefficient way. I was hoping that the "Call Sign (optional)" box on the flight plan would be sufficient.

Any controllers here with input?

Just to be precise (nay, pedantic), it is not a fake aircraft.

Just to be precise (nay, pedantic), it is not a fake aircraft.
You are right. Poor choice of words on my side. But you got what I was trying to say. :)
And I already set up an aircraft profile for the CMF callsign. Not as hard as I thought, just had to redo all the ICAO info.

I file CMF* for all my Angel Flights, and have been using the ICAO format for all flights recently. As a side note, there is an apparent bug in the Garmin Pilot Android that unfortunately refuses the CMF*, which I have reported to Garmin and is being worked on.
When it does work (or manually via LockMart), I file "CMF345" as the "Aircraft ID", "COMPASSION FLT 345" as the "Call Sign", and "ANGEL FLT N12345" in the "Remarks".
On the radio, I identify myself on the first call as "Compassion Flight 345", and this also is what ATC uses.
On a typical mission, where the Angel Flight "mission leg" is the middle one, I file my normal N12345 for the other two, using a separate aircraft record.

As a side note, there is an apparent bug in the Garmin Pilot Android that unfortunately refuses the CMF*, which I have reported to Garmin and is being worked on.

You should just have to type the CMF identifier in the "Call Sign" field. Keep the aircraft and the N number the same.

You should just have to type the CMF identifier in the "Call Sign" field. Keep the aircraft and the N number the same.

That's incorrect. Angel Flight (and the Air Care Alliance, their umbrella group) produce a very detailed instruction sheet, which tells us very specifically how to set up the flight plan form. I have followed that for all my Angel Flights so far, using different interfaces, and it worked well. The only issue is with the latest version of Garmin Pilot Android (it worked well with the previous version).
I am using LockMart directly for now, until that bug is fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the answers.
I ended up setting a CMF profile but then forgot to use it on Saturday when transporting a pup. Force of habit (especially when rushed). I will need to remember next time.

I've done a fair few PnP flights and am not sure what difference a different callsign would have made.

I've done a fair few PnP flights and am not sure what difference a different callsign would have made.
You can get a shallower descent, for example, maybe more priority, if the controller cares for your cause.
I have never needed a preferential treatment but in case I did, a CMF callsign could be just the right crutch.
Our local smaller-airfield controllers are very cool, nice and pleasant people and I bet if I did use the CMF callsign here, I'd be automatically bumped to higher priority handling.
But forget callsigns, I'm in it for the puppy kisses! :)

Wolfie_Sm.JPG

Is that a Collie? I'm partial to Collies... Especially when they look like Reville.

Nope, half wolf, half dog. :)
Not sure exactly, they claimed she's half Husky and half GS. I think that is pretty close but there might be more to her.

Back