high time engine/partnership

do you know the cost difference between overhauling the o-200 vs the 0-320?

at least he would be overhauling his engine. not one worn out by others, which he wouldn't own.

Almost identical. One place quotes $11.5K for the O-200 versus $13.5K for the O-360, others are comparable. Plus labor, of course.
http://www.hotwaircraft.com/NO_SURPRISE_PRICING.html
Plus he'd be responsible for the entire cost if he owns it all himself.

http://www.jbaircraftengines.com/price-lists/continental-aircraft-engine-overhaul/
This place quotes $15.9K for O-200 versus $16.9k for O-360. Prices don't include new cylinders.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I appreciate the lively discussion!

Financial aspect aside ;) , would you personally fly in the left seat of an aircraft with the engine past TBO?

Thanks!

Financial aspect aside ;) , would you personally fly in the left seat of an aircraft with the engine past TBO?

Thanks!

Again?! :yikes: Why not? :dunno: The first few dozen times didn't kill me.

Thanks!

Yes, I do it all the time. TBO has no bearing on Pt 91 ops. The likelihood of a catastrophic failure is low.

I do in a couple of planes.
My Dakota has 4 owners. It is a 1979 model and has ~2100 tach hrs on the AF and engine. It flys about 50-150hrs a year and has for many years. It hasn't sat for extended periods. It has also had bottom and top work in its life, so while technically it hadn't had a Major Overhaul, it's not 100% original. As the partnership is only a few years old we hav about half of the OH money in the bank. I expect, and hope, to get 500-1000 more hours before we major everything at once. Then we will have the cash on hand.

I also fly with a friend who is needing a PIC occasionally due to medical issues. His Skyhawks is about 2300-2400 tach hrs. It has also been flown regularly for the last 17-18 yrs, it's a restart R model. It has good compressions, doesn't burn oil etc. I have no issues getting in it and flying it. I have flown EAA Young Eagles in it.

TBO is a made up number. If something has regular maintenance and is flown regularly by competent pilots these engines go a long ways.

My only question in this partnership is where does the 30 hr go? That's a lot for a 140. That's what we charge for OH fund on an O-540 and CS prop. Are they trying to make up for an engine reserve? If so I would let the existing partners pay this and as a new guy I woukd want to pay less. Otherwise they are kind of screwing you for extra $$$ they should have already set aside. Also is the partnership an LLC? It should be to help insulate you personally in case some else crashes it. And it makes switching members easier as the FAA and registration doesn't have to be involved, you can get an LLC bank account for $$$, etc.

Thanks!

If it were my engine, knew it from inception, did frequent bore scoping and oil analysis.. I would.
Mike Busch (you can look him up) has a twin that he ran 250%+ over TBO on each engine (4000 hrs+/-).

Almost identical. One place quotes $11.5K for the O-200 versus $13.5K for the O-360, others are comparable. Plus labor, of course.

Those are PAR overhauls. (paint and return)

I do the 0-200 for $2500 labor fee, parts and machine work on the last one I built, was pocket change over 7k. that is with NEW cylinders.
And remember we are talking about a 0-320, not the 360.

With that in mind he will have a middle of the market 150 with a new engine, which he could go anywhere, at any time. and never worry about some one else ruining the engine he just paid for.

Last edited:
Those are PAR overhauls. (paint and return)

I do the 0-200 for $2500 labor fee, parts and machine work on the last one I built, was pocket change over 7k. that is with NEW cylinders.
And remember we are talking about a 0-320, not the 360.

With that in mind he will have a middle of the market 150 with a new engine, which he could go anywhere, at any time. and never worry about some one else ruining the engine he just paid for.
What's a par overhaul?

Back