Helicopter flying low and close to house in a rural setting

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
This is the most expensive airshow I attend each year, but the crowd is small...

IMG_20240717_091015552.jpgIMG_20240717_091018103.jpgIMG_20240717_091019371.jpgIMG_20240717_091151237_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG_20240717_091152904.jpgIMG_20240717_091156088.jpg

Not a very clear picture, but thought you all might be interested in the loading rig. This is the advantage of the helicopter, the tank is much smaller than an Airtractor, but they don't have to go back to an airport to reload.

IMG_20240717_091505273.jpg...

Attachments

• IMG_20240717_091135441.jpg
    IMG_20240717_091135441.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240717_091151987.jpg
    IMG_20240717_091151987.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
I had a pretty expensive air show last summer. A single-engine Cessna circled our street at pretty low altitude for 20 minutes, in the manner of which I practice ground reference maneuvers. (I knew they weren't doing so since we're in the DC SFRA).

A couple weeks later our HOA gets a huge bill from the city due to a revised stormwater assessment report :(

Little Cessna Airshow review: 2/10

When I was a kid I remember watching the crop dusters land on the road next to the field they were dusting. The truck was there waiting, and they would not even shut down the engine to reload. Occasionally the pilot would jump out and run to the bushes, still not shutting down the engine.

One guy was really fun to watch. He would go over the barbed wire fence and under the power lines to cross the road. These were bi-wing planes with radial engines. Wish I had pictures.

One guy was really fun to watch. He would go over the barbed wire fence and under the power lines to cross the road. These were bi-wing planes with radial engines. Wish I had pictures.
My neighbor was such a pilot. Robbie's CB handle was 'HighLine'. You can guess why! ;)

I had a pretty expensive air show last summer. A single-engine Cessna circled our street at pretty low altitude for 20 minutes, in the manner of which I practice ground reference maneuvers. (I knew they weren't doing so since we're in the DC SFRA).

A couple weeks later our HOA gets a huge bill from the city due to a revised stormwater assessment report :(

Little Cessna Airshow review: 2/10
Where do you fly out of?

When I was a kid I remember watching the crop dusters land on the road next to the field they were dusting. The truck was there waiting, and they would not even shut down the engine to reload. Occasionally the pilot would jump out and run to the bushes, still not shutting down the engine.

I remember a radial engine Ag Cat biplane working one of our fields when I was a little kid. He used our landlord's grass strip, so we were able to watch the takeoff/landing/loading up close. I thought it was cool back then, but didn't realize I'd never see one like that again. That was back before spraying fungicide on corn was a normal practice.

Now, late July & early August sound like a WW2 battlefield around here. A few companies have consolidated most of the business, and have purchased multiple rural airports, so they can notam them closed during the busy season. The guy nearest us is Brazilian, as are most of his pilots. They fly down there in our winter, and vice-versa.

And they still do fly under power lines.

We still have a couple of radial powered ag planes around here. I love turbines but you can't beat the sound of a radial at T/O power. I can still hear my mother fussing about the noise and dust during flying seasons. The neighboring farm across the highway from my house also served as the operating base for one ag pilot whose father owned the farm. When Robbie was departing to the SE with a south wind we got an earful of that radial at full song and a generous mouthful of dust when it was dry. We all had CB base stations in our houses and mom would be on the line fussing to his mother. Everyone else got a kick out of it.

Meh, all those guys will be replaced by drones soon. ;)

A single-engine Cessna circled our street at pretty low altitude for 20 minutes, in the manner of which I practice ground reference maneuvers. (I knew they weren't doing so since we're in the DC SFRA).
If doing 8s on pylons in the SFRA is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I remember my grandfather telling me the story of a guy in Maine that flew hueys in Vietnam. When he came home he started flying helicopters spraying apple orchards. Gramps got to go for a ride once when they got back the pilot asked him what he thought to which gramps replied... Ida thrown up if I knew which way was up :D

Back