Having Kids as Friends...

Wow. Lots of varied answers here. I feel out of place since my philosophy is face to face is the primary means to communicate, voice to voice (not voice mail...don't have it set up and don't leave them, either), is secondary, and finger to finger (email/text) is tertiary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel texting is going going back to the days where there was teletype and morse code only devices.

The problem with Texting and Email is a lot of times the meaning gets lost in translation or misunderstood. :dunno:

This is sad though.

We have a large two story house. My kids will text me and my wife when they are up stairs to ask what is for dinner or is dinner ready. They do the same thing when they need us for something. Kitchen and master bedroom is downstairs so the kids are upstairs a lot while my wife and we enjoy the peace downstairs. We don't have a intercom system.

Attachments

• morsecode.JPG
    morsecode.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 8
My 16 YO daughter routinely hits 6K-8K msgs per month. ATT has to be thrilled they don't send us a paper bill anymore.

My parents received a bill one time that cost AT&T $6+ to mail because of my younger brother. Think he had a couple hundred dollars overage in text messages on that bill. My parents weren't thrilled and not too long after that, AT&T went to abbreviated billing by default if you received a paper bill.

Just a dumb question.

Did anyone else read the thread title and wonder if it was about finding a friend of the opposite gender and having kids with them?

A close friend of mine texted me this morning that his dad passed away. Should I just send a text back, should I send flowers and a card or should I call?

A close friend of mine texted me this morning that his dad passed away. Should I just send a text back, should I send flowers and a card or should I call?

Personally, I would call, then send flowers and a card. I just can't imagine myself texting a condolence message to someone.

Rich

Personally, I would call, then send flowers and a card. I just can't imagine myself texting a condolence message to someone.

Rich

I agree with you. I called as soon as I found out. My intention was it appears to me that some people would think a quick text message would suffice in this situation.

As for me, flight plans already set. I will be leaving early Friday morning to make the service on Saturday mid-morning.

I just can't see myself not being there for my friend and his mom. His father was one of the strong Christian male role models for me as a teenager and young adult.

His dad was a pilot and I am pretty sure he still had a medical at 80 years old.

It's sort of sad when my mom isn't willing to learn about smartphones. She's only 50 and has her heart set on using her pink moto razr until the day it dies...

Sidenote, remember when phones weren't smart and they had a battery life of like two weeks? those were the days...

Rich

Actually, I'm going through this right now. My mom passed last Sunday (at 101) and I've received quite a few text messages from friends offering condolences and letting me know whether or not they'll be at the wake on Friday.

Honestly, I'd rather receive a bunch of texts right now than a bunch of (disruptive) phone calls considering everything that we have going on in getting ready for this weekend. I can check texts and respond at my leisure. I just responded to three.

I don't view them as impersonal at all. Most people wouldn't have bothered to communicate at all if not for the convenient option of texting. I would have just seen them on Friday...or not.

Actually, I'm going through this right now. My mom passed last Sunday (at 101) and I've received quite a few text messages from friends offering condolences and letting me know whether or not they'll be at the wake on Friday.

Honestly, I'd rather receive a bunch of texts right now than a bunch of (disruptive) phone calls considering everything that we have going on in getting ready for this weekend. I can check texts and respond at my leisure. I just responded to three.

I don't view them as impersonal at all. Most people wouldn't have bothered to communicate at all if not for the convenient option of texting. I would have just seen them on Friday...or not.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Rich

What's that bill out at anyway?

1/4 hr read text: $160
1/4 hr research question: $160
1/4 hr reply "yes" to text question: $160

:lol::lol::lol:

j/k....

It is not a billable client; it is an employee of a non-profit I do volunteer work for.

Sorry to hear. Yeah, I can see your point. Being able to deal with non urgent messages on you own time is one of the nice things about texting.

Wow...41GB?? Do you sit and watch movies all day?!?

:)

No but I do listen to a lot of Slacker while working around the farm and ForeFlight had two updates during this billing cycle. I'm usually in the mid to upper twenties.

And thanks for the condolences guys but mom's passing was a good thing. She had an end of life like we all hope not to...rotting away in a vegetative state in the nursing home. We've all been praying for her to leave for at least six months. She's in a much better place now. But hey, she drove until she was 95...we should all be so lucky.

Last edited:
Little phone keyboards are annoying. However, the speech to text on my phone works really well.

I think it's pretty funny when people talk to their phones in order to send a text. lol

I often wonder what Alexander Graham Bell would make of all these people typing out messages on voice-capable devices. I suspect he would be incredulous.

I think it's pretty funny when people talk to their phones in order to send a text. .

Why? Siri has become very good at doing voice to text.

When sending a text, which is a very efficient way of communicating, typing the actual words is the most laborious part.

Getting Siri to do the typing speeds things up.

Works great.

Why? Siri has become very good at doing voice to text.

When sending a text, which is a very efficient way of communicating, typing the actual words is the most laborious part.

Getting Siri to do the typing speeds things up.

Works great.

Pushing Siri aside and just using voice would be even more efficient, especially if both parties are doing it.

Rich

Pushing Siri aside and just using voice would be even more efficient, especially if both parties are doing it.

Rich

I disagree. For one thing, actually talking means both parties need to be available at the exact same moment. Which in my world is rare.

Also, I often have to communicate with several people at once. This is tough with voice calls. And conference calls aren't the answer either.

I love texting with Siri.

I disagree. For one thing, actually talking means both parties need to be available at the exact same moment. Which in my world is rare.

Also, I often have to communicate with several people at once. This is tough with voice calls. And conference calls aren't the answer either.

I love texting with Siri.

Hey, to each his own. I've never met Siri, personally, so maybe she's a sweetheart. You would know better than I.

Back to the thread topic, I think part of the generational "disconnect" about texting is that older people simply don't feel as much of a need to be connected all the time and have instantaneous communications. For example, I frequently take long trips and intentionally leave the phone at home, which would be unthinkable for most younger people.

I also think the great bulk of text messages are unnecessary. Checking them is a low priority for me, except for those from a very few family members and friends, who have a special tone. The rest I never gave permission to text me, anyway, so I feel no obligation to answer them right away (or at all). And when I'm busy, the BlackBerry ringer goes on "phone calls only" mode. If texts have to wait eight hours to be read, so be it. They can call me on voice on the exceedingly rare occasions that what they had to say was actually important.

But I feel the same way about phone calls, really. Very few people have my cell number: only some family members (mainly the ones I still like), a few friends, and a very few clients. The rest have either my business number or a Magic Jack number that I never answer. It's not even connected to a phone.

That's also the number that any business I deal with as a consumer has. If a company demands my cell number, I either cancel my account with them or give them a Pinger number (which I will never check again once the company's sent their verification text).

Rich

Last edited:
But I feel the same way about phone calls, really. Very few people have my cell number: only some family members (mainly the ones I still like), a few friends, and a very few clients. The rest have either my business number or a Magic Jack number that I never answer. It's not even connected to a phone.
Rich

That is funny. I have a land line at my home. I never give out the number and it is unlisted. I never answer it when it rings.

Why do I have it? I guess because I have a phone made in 1952 and it has that cool ring. It was the first phone my parents had right after they were married. Some of my employees have never used a rotary dial phone, and don't even know how to dial it....:rofl:

That is funny. I have a land line at my home. I never give out the number and it is unlisted. I never answer it when it rings.

Why do I have it? I guess because I have a phone made in 1952 and it has that cool ring. It was the first phone my parents had right after they were married. Some of my employees have never used a rotary dial phone, and don't even know how to dial it....:rofl:

What exchange are you on that you can still use a rotary phone?:confused::lol:

I think you can get adapters for them. My friend had one when I was 12. Not that it was that long ago (I'm 19) it worked and was always fun to use.

I fondly remember the halcyon days before touch tone was invented. Those were the days when actual people answered the phone when you called a business for customer service because there were no buttons to press!

I also remember when the dial tone was a single tone. I think it was 600 Hz. When the "new" dial tone was rolled out some time in the 1960s, it got quite a bit of publicity. The phone company took out commercials touting its "musical" qualities. I remember my mother's friends whose exchanges hadn't yet gotten the "new dial tone" actually coming over to our house listen to it.

Rich

I feel texting is going going back to the days where there was teletype and morse code only devices.

The problem with Texting and Email is a lot of times the meaning gets lost in translation or misunderstood. :dunno:

This is sad though.

We have a large two story house. My kids will text me and my wife when they are up stairs to ask what is for dinner or is dinner ready. They do the same thing when they need us for something. Kitchen and master bedroom is downstairs so the kids are upstairs a lot while my wife and we enjoy the peace downstairs. We don't have a intercom system.

Saw a video of a Jay Leno bit where they had Morse Coders take on "Champion Texters". No contest. Morse coders blew them away.

That made me wonder if anyone has made a "morse keyboard" app for iOS or Android. Maybe just two or three keys - Dit, Dah, and Space...

New Mexico..... not really new and not really Mexico...:lol:

My wife will use the old phone to talk to her family in the Philippines because the sound is much clearer on the handset. She uses the touch tone phone until someone answers then she picks up the old one.

It has been rewired for the new phone line connectors, but otherwise it is still vintage 1952.

I fondly remember the halcyon days before touch tone was invented. Those were the days when actual people answered the phone when you called a business for customer service because there were no buttons to press!

I also remember when the dial tone was a single tone. I think it was 600 Hz. When the "new" dial tone was rolled out some time in the 1960s, it got quite a bit of publicity. The phone company took out commercials touting its "musical" qualities. I remember my mother's friends whose exchanges hadn't yet gotten the "new dial tone" actually coming over to our house listen to it.

Rich

Those were the days where you could cheat a pay phone with a toothpick.:rofl: Didn't need a blue box tone generator or anything.:rofl:

New Mexico..... not really new and not really Mexico...:lol:

My wife will use the old phone to talk to her family in the Philippines because the sound is much clearer on the handset. She uses the touch tone phone until someone answers then she picks up the old one.

It has been rewired for the new phone line connectors, but otherwise it is still vintage 1952.

Wow, I didn't know they still had pulse switches anywhere. Oh, you said she uses the TT until someone picks up. Can you not dial out on it? The old equipment did have good sound.

Pulse dialing still works in many areas. In fact I've never seen it not work, always assumed there must be some FCC requirement keeping it in place.

Wow, I didn't know they still had pulse switches anywhere. Oh, you said she uses the TT until someone picks up. Can you not dial out on it? The old equipment did have good sound.

It can be used to dial out for a local call, if you have an extra 3 minutes to spend dialing...:lol:

I love the bell ringer. I have tried to record it to use as a ring tone on my cell, but it just doesn't capture that distinctive sound.

Anyone remember using a party line..??

I agree. Especially your last paragraph.

Back