Hangar Cost

Small-town western Canadian prairies. There are a few places that aren't overwhelmed by huge demand and the exorbitant prices that result.

Dan

Your lucky, but then you have to deal with all that cool air up there. No matter what, there always seems to be a price to pay,

John

Your lucky, but then you have to deal with all that cool air up there. No matter what, there always seems to be a price to pay,

John

Yup. So far this fall it's not been too bad. It can get to -45°C here at times, and sometimes stay that way for awhile, but with this marvellous global warming those days are disappearing. Today it'll hit 8°C or so. 47°F. Summertime is commonly 30°C, or 85°F. Not so bad. No hurricanes, very few tornadoes. I grew up in Kamloops, BC, 350 miles west of us, where it can hit 45°C, or 112°F. Some of the Americans I meet can't believe that. To many, "Canada" = "Great Frozen North." And yet Montana or North Dakota can get at least as brutal as it gets here, and sometimes worse.

With cooler, drier air we also have wonderful visibility. We're about 100 nm from the Great Divide that runs down through the Rockies, and I can see it from here when I fly. The Rocks themselves are visible from the ground. At night I can see the lights of cities over 100 nm away. Visibilites drop some during the spring and fall when the farmers stir up some dust, or if the humidity gets high enough, but it's seldom like Orlando where I spent a couple of weeks in October, sweating the whole time.

Dan

Last edited:
San Diego has probably the nicest weather in the country. We generally only have it rain at night, unless one of us needs his plane washed quickly, then we might get some daytime rain. For the most part though, San Diego is usually a VFR kinda place.

It can get downright warm, over 100 F. in the inland areas during the summer and fall, but our humidity is usually pretty low. These worldwide climatic changes are making things unpredictable though. It wasn't very long ago when humidity was virtually unheard of here.

It rarely gets to the point where an engine heat is required, at least not in the flatlands. My plane has an engine heater, but I have never used it.

Visibility can get a little shaky from time to time, but other than that, San Diego is downright great for flying year round.

John

I get a free hangar for acting as the airport manager. Built in the 50s and share it with a 1925 Model A ford fire truck. I think I will have to quit flying when I can't push the doors open anymore.

Attachments

• P1000306.JPG
    P1000306.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
I'm #2 on a waiting list at my present airport for a T-hangar at $150 per month. But I am looking at moving to another (nearby) airport for the winter where the T-Hangars are $193 per month. I'm going to drive over there tomorrow to look at one and also find out if that is on a month-to-month basis. If so, I'll probably move until spring - or until a "local" hangar opens up. But I'll keep the tie-down spot where I am now - because I don't want to give that up for next Spring-Summer-Fall.

Can you draw an arrow on that picture to show where the airplane fits?
I get a free hangar for acting as the airport manager. Built in the 50s and share it with a 1925 Model A ford fire truck. I think I will have to quit flying when I can't push the doors open anymore.

Can a small tug open/close the doors?

Can you draw an arrow on that picture to show where the airplane fits?

No but I have another picture taken during our Vale fly-in and the plane would go about where the end closest to the camera would be.It is a big hangar. The Fire truck would be where the music is being played. Bob

Attachments

• Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
$61.17 per month, based on the property tax for the current year. Electricity runs about $12 - $15 per month. (I try to forget the $51,750.00 on the first check I wrote.)

HR
Photo from June 2006, before the fridge, hangar couch, and other furniture had been appropriately positioned(and other hangar stuff) [End unit, so more room for stuff] (and before the floor was epoxied)

Attachments

• N7872G 06062.jpg
    N7872G 06062.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back