Guardians of Freedom Airshow - KLNK 9-11 Sept. 2011

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Planning on going up to the KLNK airshow this year -- closest Blue Angels' show to DEN this year and dad wants to go.

Trying to decide if I fly the airplane up and deal with rental car, etc... or just drive up. Would prefer to fly the airplane, but logistics of getting from an FBO through the gates of a typical airshow sometimes isn't easy.

If we fly up it could be Friday afternoon or Saturday morning early. Driving doesn't matter much for this post... :D

We'd probably stay overnight Saturday and see both days of the show.

Questions for the Nebraska gang:

- Duncan or Silverhawk FBO?
- What's up with KLNK 100LL pricing? Holy bejeebus... $6/gal at both FBOs. Would want to support 'em but sheesh. :(
- What's getting around the airport like...? Easy to get from the FBOs to wherever the airshow's gonna be?
- Any recommendations on hotels near the field?

Figured I'd ask here before calling up there... since there's a good Nebraska contingent here on PoA. :)

Originally this trip was scheduled months ago to FINALLY introduce Karen to a jet-team show (and the Blues), but she's always busy and stuffed something else into her calendar. So now it's a Father/Son trip... since we weren't going to cancel our fun just 'cause SHE's busy. LOL!

Would be nice to meet any PoA'ers going to the show also, thus reason #2 for this post...

I'm not sure how Duncan does with small GA planes. They're a fantastic outfit...I've just never used them. But that's only because the entire rental fleet has been based out of Silverhawk for years. You'll probably feel most comfortable at Silverhawk.

The FBOs are on the east side of the field and the air show will be on the west side of the field. If I were you, I'd call Silverhawk and ask them if they'll be shuttling across the field.

I'd love to meet you when you're in town. Perhaps we could all try to grab dinner. I have a business trip coming up that I'm hoping doesn't interfere.

As for hotels, most of them near the airport are "budget" motels. There is a Holiday Inn Express really close, but I haven't been there. The nicest are downtown (about 10 minutes by car). Many have a shuttle that will pick you up at Silverhawk. It's mostly about your budget at that point.

And, you're right. They are very proud of their 100LL around here.

Last edited:
And, for fuel, check out Wahoo ([SIZE=-1]KAHQ) 25 nm to the north(ish). They're at $4.95 on airnav right now.
[/SIZE]

- Any recommendations on hotels near the field?
I would suggest Hotel My House. It comes with a bedroom with a double bed, a computer, and a 32" LCD. It's about a 5 minute drive from the airport. There is another twin bed in the finished basement that seemed to work fine for Spike.

I can also include a 1995 Chevy S10 truck if you'd like your own transport. It has nearly 260,000 miles now. But it drives and the air works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the generous offer. My place is always open here in DEN too, of course.

Dad has a bejillion Mariott points from his former traveling sales life before he semi-retired, so I'll probably put him in charge of "butts-in-beds". Just need to give him a number of nights count. Friday night or both Friday and Saturday.

Will give Silverhawk a ring tomorrow and see if they've thought about out-of-towners yet for the airshow.

Would love to meet up, too. Maybe dinner Friday or Saturday night?

Any other PoAers up for Nebraska in a couple weeks?

We're also planning KGJT for the Blues next year. Dad's ex-Navy.

Anyone else seeing a pattern here? :D

Talked to Silvehawk today.

No ramp fees, no reservations but they do expect to be busy.

They say they'll run vehicles over if folks need rides.

Haven't found any preliminary NOTAM info yet on what time the airspace closes. Gates open at 09:30, show starts at 10:30, both days.

The FBI said they're expecting pauses in the show for scheduled airline traffic.

i was wondering what the FBI had to do with it. Jesse's place is a nice pilot haven.

Back