Grief and anti-depressants

Met with psych nurse yesterday. She will work with me to ensure diagnosis does not make FAA process worse.

She proposed situational anxiety and situational depression. One week of Xanax to get sleep pattern stable, then 3-4 months of Lexapro.

Looking at the Situational Depression and Anxiety/Depression tools, this looks like it will pass review without deferral, assuming my situation resolves itself without recurring.

Seems to me the Xanax is riskier that the SSRI from an FAA perspective. Should I ask her to write for situational depression and Lexapro only?
With all due respect,I wouldn’t have a nurse handle this. I had a brief period once where I had anxiety when my mother had cancer. I swore up and down nothing was bothering me. One day I literally didn’t have the energy to walk five feet. Anxiety is a weird thing. I would go to an MD or at the very least a PhD.

Obviously I've been trying to understand the parameters here, and @Half Fast has been patient in answering my questions.
The regulations and processes are clearly, IMHO, confusing and nonsensical. I’d be interested in hearing definitive feedback.

It’s confusing because, as I understand it, you can have conditions and medications that disqualify you from holding/being issued a class 3, but are not an issue for basic med. So, you can fly under basic med with those otherwise class 3 disqualification(s). Unless you first applied for a class 3 and were denied, or revoked for class 3.

So, per the FAA, if we know about it, you can’t fly under class 3 OR basic med, OR sports pilot for that matter. If you keep us out of the process, but would otherwise be denied a class 3, you’re fine to hop into a 6000 lbs aircraft with 5 passengers and fly up to 250kn.

Makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Back