Great trip to New England

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
Just returned from a 1000nm trip up to Massachusetts and back. My mother had been moved to an assisted care facility and it was well past time to visit her.

Checking the WX, we saw our window to return was Monday and we departed into somewhat soupy conditions toward the Berkshire Mtns. Flying up a large valley, visions of NTSBs danced through my head as the ceilings lowered and viz dropped to 4 or 5 miles. I quickly chickened out and did a 180 :hairraise:: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5877R/history/20150518/1317ZZ/KBAF/KELM

Knowing better conditions were to the north, we went around the low clouds and found much better weather as we sailed past New Albany. With the high pressure system approaching from the West, we stopped in Elmira, NY for the day. From there we drove up to Seneca Lake, and hiked the gorge at the State Park there.

Words cannot describe the natural beauty of that park and setting. If you get a chance, stop at Elmira and rent a car for the 25 minute drive to the Lake and the park. One of the true highlights of our trip, along with the free soft serve ice cream in the FBO. :D

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Now, some pictures would also be great. :D

Last edited:
Hey C'Mon, you got a flight track, a vid and the whole trip on Skyvector, who does that?? :D

Greg,

I'm having some trouble figuring out where you drove from Elmira. Saratoga Lake looks like a far distance to the East.

Anyway, I hope you are able to visit your mother frequently and I recommend driving up to the Village of Hammondsport from Elmira to visit the Glenn Curtiss Museum on one of your trips. Another good stop on that general route is Lock Haven, PA, the original home of Piper Aircraft and well documented in the on-airport museum.

Scott

Greg,

I'm having some trouble figuring out where you drove from Elmira. Saratoga Lake looks like a far distance to the East.

Anyway, I hope you are able to visit your mother frequently and I recommend driving up to the Village of Hammondsport from Elmira to visit the Glenn Curtiss Museum on one of your trips. Another good stop on that general route is Lock Haven, PA, the original home of Piper Aircraft and well documented in the on-airport museum.

Scott

Scott, thank you. It's actually Seneca Lake now that I double check Google maps. Watkins Glen and the race track and all that. Sorry about that, there was a Saratoga II TC Turbo on the ramp when I landed at home and that must have stuck in my head!

I've been in to Lock Haven several times but never had the opportunity to see the museum as we fueled and departed rather quickly. Thanks for the tip on the Glenn Curtiss Museum as well. One of the things we have learned is there are gems all across the country to uncover. The state park at Seneca was one of them.

Anyone out there with your mom? Normally the staff at these places don't much listen to the inmates, nor can I blame them. Old folks can be a mite crotchety, and I can't blame them for that either. Normally the staff listen to the family member who makes frequent visits (i.e. weekly or better).

If there is no one there you might think about moving her a tad closer. They got places like that where you live. Don't ask me how I know.

ELM is kind of an interesting airport to land at because it's surrounded by mountains on three sides as I recall, and even more so to take off from, especially at night. Read and follow the ODP, even if it's VFR...

Anyone out there with your mom? Normally the staff at these places don't much listen to the inmates, nor can I blame them. Old folks can be a mite crotchety, and I can't blame them for that either. Normally the staff listen to the family member who makes frequent visits (i.e. weekly or better).

If there is no one there you might think about moving her a tad closer. They got places like that where you live. Don't ask me how I know.
Yes, tons of family up there to keep an eye on the staff! She actually looks much better now that she has some people to ensure she's getting 3 square a day.

Thanks Steingar, kind of you to pipe up on the issue, it is of concern.

Greg -
Sounds like a great trip. I am not sure I can sit in our 172 that long - but you are inspiring me to take some longer trips.

Greg -
Sounds like a great trip. I am not sure I can sit in our 172 that long - but you are inspiring me to take some longer trips.
I hope so Jim. The longest we were in the plane was 3 hrs. Then it was time for some fuel, coffee, or lunch someplace using the crew car or renting one as needed.

We stopped at Jimmy Stewart's hometown, then the town my parents and grandparents lived (and died) in, then RON someplace we'd never been before. Same sort of thing coming home and discovered something unexpected and wonderful in Watkins Glen.

It's for these reasons we love taking trips like this. You never know what good things you will find, but it seems guaranteed you will find it if you look.

The waterfall next to Cayuga lake is pretty cool. Letchworth state park a little further west is neat and quite impressive as you don't expect to see such amongst low rolling green hills. If you have any interest in horseless flying machines the national soaring museum is just above Elmira at Harris Hill.

Very nice!

I recently planned a flight to KFZY for food and gas and then to come back through the Finger Lakes with a stop at D82. Waterfalls and gorges and wineries and such in those parts.

I did some flying around the Hudson Valley yesterday, and saw the Skytop Tower from the air. $4.25 avgas at 1B1. Also learned that N40 has a restaurant on the field.

........Knowing better conditions were to the north, we went around the low clouds and found much better weather as we sailed past New Albany. With the high pressure system approaching from the West, we stopped in Elmira, NY for the day. From there we drove up to Seneca Lake, and hiked the gorge at the State Park there.

Words cannot describe the natural beauty of that park and setting. If you get a chance, stop at Elmira and rent a car for the 25 minute drive to the Lake and the park. One of the true highlights of our trip, along with the free soft serve ice cream in the FBO. :D

Greg,

We found a state park while attending a Beech Aero Club Festival in Ithaca, NY., it was Taughannock Falls State Park. I think the best part of making these flights is what we discover along the way. Sounds like you had a great trip and good to hear your Mom is doing well.

ELM is kind of an interesting airport to land at because it's surrounded by mountains on three sides as I recall, and even more so to take off from, especially at night. Read and follow the ODP, even if it's VFR...

Next time you're in Elmira stop up at Harris Hill for the Soaring museum and maybe take a glider flight.

Free icecream at the FBO?! Sounds like I'm going to have to make that trip. (I know i know, please don't point out the financials. Just let me enjoy it).

Back