Grass Runway Locator

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
Is there a search engine to find Grass runways across the country?

Probably easier to just study the charts for the area your flying in.

I would say there isn't one. I made an extensive search two years and did not find a comprehensive list of US turf fields.

I can't find a grass runway when I'm flying over it, half the time...Funny thing, I soloed on one 43 years ago LOL

Especially if it's not a charted airport...

Check with airports near your destination even if they don't show a grass runway. KRUE has a couple of tail dragger pilots who routinely use the grass shoulder of the paved runway. It isn't officially a grass runway but the airport doesn't object.

Download the 5010 data and kick out a database report.

I can probably whip something up tonight.

Turn your metal landing calculator over. There's a list on the back.

Dang you're right there it is and it was last updated yesterday.

You can find them by exploiting google. Use this search string to find turf at airports in Iowa:

turf and iowa site:airnav.com

It turns up dozens of turf runways in Iowa

Obviously you can replace iowa with any other state.

Last edited:
Check with airports near your destination even if they don't show a grass runway. KRUE has a couple of tail dragger pilots who routinely use the grass shoulder of the paved runway. It isn't officially a grass runway but the airport doesn't object.

Official strips are over rated.

Here ya go.

Every turf runway in the 5010 database.

Note: This is runways classified as turf. Dirt and gravel runways are not included.

Attachments

• TurfRunways.zip
    382.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Used to land either on the glider strip or on the grass adjacent to 5/23 at FDK all the time though I don't know if you can get away with that now that they've stupidly put a tower there.

Thanks all for the helpful info.

I will use it to plan my cross country trip back home when I win the 1946 J3 cub from the Dakota Territory Air Museum Sweepstakes on Aug 16 :)

Back